StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just settled on anakee 3s as my next tire wondering what kinda mileage anyone has gotten out of them. My Pr4s front dead before rear about 7500 miles out of them, front is almost a bald slick rear had a few k left on it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So I just settled on anakee 3s as my next tire wondering what kinda mileage anyone has gotten out of them. My Pr4s front dead before rear about 7500 miles out of them, front is almost a bald slick rear had a few k left on it.
The most I got was 17,000 km (rear). The worst I got was 13,000 km (being more aggressive). It is a good long distance tire even if the bike is fully loaded. The anakee3 is a radial tire, I combine this with a K76 (heideneau) on the front which is bias ply.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've got those, and did 20.000 km with them so far. They're nowhere near their end-of-life, but my riding is exclusively good pavement, mostly highway for commuting. Given their current wear, I'm estimating at least another 10.000 km before they need to be replaced.

They're starting to develop a flat spot in the middle though, which is getting noticeable when cornering. I really need to flick the bike into the corner. Nature of a highway commute I guess. If that flat spot gets really bad, I might replace the tires before they're worn beyond the wear limit indicators.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It's in my profile.... 2002 DL1000. (It's not in my signature though. Would that help? My profile is only three mouse clicks away.)
You made me click twice, that's way too much effort. Brb going to lay down a little!

Btw, when i said profile, i should have specified signature, my bad.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Current A3 rear is at 18,500mi and not yet down to the wear bars. I run them around 42psi. The front starts to feel gross a somewhat earlier than the rear.

I've gotten over 20k miles but by then I start to feel it in my bones even though there's tread left.

·
#motoref
224 Posts
I've burned up at least 5 sets of them and all hit 10k miles or more.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Wow, major differences in longevity!

That's a lot of money to pay for a tire that gets only 13,000KM, but reasonably priced if you get close to 30,000.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
DL650
I put about 25,000 kms on a set of Anakee 2's. They still had about 25% tread left. I changed to Anakee 3's and have about 15,000kms on those and they are still have lots of life left in them. I ride 70%gravel/dirt (neither the Anakee's or I like mud) and the rest pavement and I am not gentle on tires (average 10,000kms or less on my ST1300 PR4's). I can't seem to hurt the Anakee 3's and I am actually trying a bit because I want to switch over to the Mitas E07's next but am too cheap to throw away half of a tire! Not sure how much more they will go but they are long lasting.

Incidentally, I put about 6500 kms on a set of brand new K60 last fall while in South America. I was on a GS800. They were more than half wore out at the end and it was a 50/50 pavement/gravel ride. And they did not handle pavement well.

For me, it would be no contest. Anakee's over the Heidenau's for handling and longevity.

·
Registered
686 Posts
That hardness comes at a cost. When cold, they will slip unpredictably. If you do real twisties, (rubbing pegs?), the A3 would not be my 1st choice. There's much better for dirt/gravel. Mitas E7 comes to mind. .... My 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
DL650K9

I have 8,200mi (13,000km) on my A3s. They are an amazing performer, sticky and versatile especially when wet. Have had no problems and I probably have another 8,200 to go.

·
Registered
659 Posts
That hardness comes at a cost. When cold, they will slip unpredictably. If you do real twisties, (rubbing pegs?), the A3 would not be my 1st choice. There's much better for dirt/gravel. Mitas E7 comes to mind. .... My 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
I'm on my 5th set and they've never slipped unpredictably on a clean road regardless of temperature, even down to 0F where they'll never warm up. They handle fast technical sections with composure.

Have you used them before and had a different experience?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I would like to hear more reports from A3 users. If the longevity of this tire is consistent, they would be worth the additional cost over my Shinko's.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would to hear more reports from A3 users. If the longevity of this tire is consistent, they would be worth the additional cost over my Shinko's.
You can pay essentially zero attention to another user's mileage experience with a particular tire. There are so many variables to that equation: geographical region of country, city vs rural vs freeway mileage, type and abrasiveness of pavement, ambient temps when riding, total bike weight/loading (body weight, panniers, two-up riding), aggressiveness in the saddle whether this means acceleration/braking, peg scraping when cornering, all of the above. For instance, I typically get between 5-8000 miles out of a typical DS tire on my Weestrom. However, I'm currently running Shinko 804/805 knobbies and will likely only get 4000 +/- out of them with primarily street use. I ride to the mountains of NC/GA every year and have cooked a rear tire (sport touring type)--both center and sides--on my KTM 990SMT in just under 1800 miles!

What is true for one rider won't be applicable to another, unless you live in the same area of the country, ride the same bike and have the exact same riding style.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
You can pay essentially zero attention to another user's mileage experience with a particular tire. There are so many variables to that equation: geographical region of country, city vs rural vs freeway mileage, type and abrasiveness of pavement, ambient temps when riding, total bike weight/loading (body weight, panniers, two-up riding), aggressiveness in the saddle whether this means acceleration/braking, peg scraping when cornering, all of the above. For instance, I typically get between 5-8000 miles out of a typical DS tire on my Weestrom. However, I'm currently running Shinko 804/805 knobbies and will likely only get 4000 +/- out of them with primarily street use. I ride to the mountains of NC/GA every year and have cooked a rear tire (sport touring type)--both center and sides--on my KTM 990SMT in just under 1800 miles!

What is true for one rider won't be applicable to another, unless you live in the same area of the country, ride the same bike and have the exact same riding style.
True, but with enough data points, a trend could be determined.

I really hope I get more than 4k miles out of my new Shinkos.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I ran shinko 705's for several rotations on my 650, I liked the performance, and appreciated the price. I take a 10 day solo trip every July. In June, I'd look at my tires, try to decide if I should run them and hope they'd last, or replace them. I would usually replace them, worried about finding myself far from home, needing a tire replacement. I'd lose at least a couple thousand miles use each year for peace of mind. Last year, I left em on, and had zero tread on the rear of the Shinko when I got home. Utah freeway run at 110 degrees temp, 85 MPH takes it out of tires. Cycle Gear had the Anakee III at 36 percent off last fall, I picked up a set, and had them mount and balance on my wheels. That for me is the other cost, I don't do my own tire changes, so if I get twice the mileage out of these Anakees, I'll save time and $$ on tire change charges.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Besides the traction/mileage debate, I like the profile & carcass of the A-3s. It's the most stable feeling tire I've used on this bike. The Shinko 705 I'm not a fan of. It's worth the price, but I feel the back wander a bit. Most likely due to the larger void at lean angles.
I had a ride over the CA/OR border when it was snowing. The pavement was wet but no sticking snow. I had no trouble with traction over the hill, through corners at speeds equal to the cars.
I've burned off 2 sets, getting about 9 K miles, both front & rear wore out at the same time.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I will repeat the A3's on my V2. Best tire to date for mainly pavement and limited off-road riding. Smooth and rock solid on pavement dry or wet.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wow, major differences in longevity!

That's a lot of money to pay for a tire that gets only 13,000KM, but reasonably priced if you get close to 30,000.
Like any tire if your aggressive it won't last (but the traction is v good). For those getting over 20,000 km you must have nice roads or a none flinching right wrist ;-).

Mileage varies depending on numerous factor as listen by another poster. BUT I like the tire and just bought 2 new rears. My decision on buying the tire is that I know I can cross Canada (X2) with plenty of tire left after my trip. In my case tires are used on a 2009 DL1000 that is normally fully loaded as I prefer to camp on my trips. I estimate that the extra weight (excluding my God given jumpsuit) is about 150 lbs. Going though Ontario with their mountains, variable speed limits, poor roads (in areas) is hard on tires. So Yeah 17,000km on a rear is really good.

If you are a Sunday driver on really good roads your mileage will be better.

PS: look for sales. A dealer quoted me $210 cdn for 1 rear 2 weeks ago. I went to a competitor and bought 2 at $170 cdn each.

Have a good one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts