StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had A3s on both ends of my bike for a month now. About 800 miles on them so far due to crappy weather. Previously I have run Tourance and A2s.

Some things I noticed. The A3 has a much stiffer and thicker sidewall...similar to a Hiendau. My brother has a nomar changer but I let the shop do it. Both tires balanced with 4 weights.

The cross section is different. All my tires prior to the A3s had a sort of mushroom cross section with a tead that would be the "cap" and the sidewalls the "stem". The A3 has a much more rounded cross section and the tread blends in to the sidewall rather than having a distinct tread and sidewall area.

Advertising pictures of the tire do not do it justice. It looks like it was designed for our bikes. It just looks good...if a tire can have aesthetic value that is.

Some have reported noise, I ride with ear plugs and up to 80 mph I heard no difference from my old tires. I ran them up to triple digits and they seem to ride well. Our roads are still covered with sand and coal cinders and the tires are very predictable when they start to break traction. No wet riding on them yet. I do have a slight decel wobble with the A3 that is similar to how my bike acted with half worn A2s.

Some have reported the A3s pick up gravel. I did not experience this on the unimproved county roads by my house.

My initial impression is the tread wear is about equal to A2 and not quite as good as tourance.

I have never mounted touring rubber on my Strom, but the A3 seems to turn in much easier than the A2. I suspect they handle similar to a quality street only tire, but with a more aggressive look to them. The A3 is a great tire in the twisties.

I was one who first thought the A3 was a step in the wrong direction for Michelin and could not understand why they dropped the A2. I searched E-bay for some low mileage A2s without any luck. Given the choice, I would buy the A3 over the A2 without hesitation now and I am glad I took a gamble on them.

If the moderators see fit they can bury this in the big tire thread:confused:

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I've got about 6500 miles on mine. Seems a great street tire, as you say excellent in the twisties.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Bought my new (to me) '04 Vee with the A3s on it and I've added about 1500 miles to the odometer to-date. Had the A2s on the '07 I took into a low side slide into oncoming traffic. I really like the A3s on pavement. They definitely feel sticky in the turns. I haven't had the opportunity to try them off pavement, yet.

Escape the cage!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I put my rear A3 on with tire spoons & ru-glyde. Wasn't that difficult.

I have about 2500 miles on mine. Its definitely more of a street tire though I did take it in some deep gravel & it did fine, even with the wife as pillion.

I am concerned about the reports of wear rates. I have a big trip to yellowstone, hoping it is up for the task this summer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've put on about 2,000 miles on my A3s and I'm very happy with them. The only thing I have to compare these with is the very worn stock tires that were on the bike when I bought it, they were slicker than snot in the rain. The A3's are a very nice tire on asphalt, not much time in dirt but they seemed fine for the limited time I got to use them.

·
Administrator
13,728 Posts
... I do have a slight decel wobble with the A3 that is similar to how my bike acted with half worn A2s.
I have a hteory that tires with flatter profiles (from new and also as they wear) are more likley to trigger the low speed waggle. Is the profile of the A3 less "pointy" than you last set of tires?

..Tom

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had A3 front on last year for 13,400 miles. I liked it but had bad wear issues (front really cupped unlike anything I've ever had previously) so I replaced it with A2 which now has 16,000 on it as is just as good if not better. But I believe I bought the last available front A2 last night :(

I have A3 on rear for last 6K and I like it. I believe it has a much higher sidewall profile and really leans the bike over while on the kickstand. Good tire and good wear so far.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
My A3 front at nearly 7500 miles is worn out (wears bars showing in center and on sides). I'll change it soon (PR4 Trail) when a good opportunity presents itself.

Rear A3 is nearing 5500 miles and still has lots of tread left - but the tread's much deeper on A3 rears when new. 9 - 10K or more on rears with A3 might be possible / likely. Looks like even mine might make that - and I've really never gotten close to that before.

I ride mountain roads nearly all the time and I might work front tires a lot more than others here. I'm beginning to think I do.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have around 4000km on my A3's. Installed in Florida last fall. Happy with them in dry and wet and better than stock on gravel. Much better on grooved concrete and tar snakes than stock.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I've got over 12k miles on my A3 rear and I'm not quite down to the wear bars. Its been a great tire. Took me to Labrador and back. I always felt confident leaned over too.
That said, I just ordered a Dunlop Trailmax for a replacement. The reason? The A3's is a fairly noisy tire. I do wear earplugs, but I still pay attention to noises and sometimes it bothers me. The Trailmax is supposed to have some off pavement characteristics and "quiet" according to a tire review in BMW ON magazine. It probably won't last 12 k miles - but it might!
It wasn't easy to leave the Michelin brand, but I can always come back.
I have read good things about the Trailmax...

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a hteory that tires with flatter profiles (from new and also as they wear) are more likley to trigger the low speed waggle. Is the profile of the A3 less "pointy" than you last set of tires?

..Tom
Tom, I have a half worn A2 front I will compare the A3 to tonight. But I doubt it is much diffferent in cross section across the tread. My bike has close to 100,000 miles now and the steering head bearings are original. The preload on them is correct but they have started to brinnel and I have a slight catch in rotation directly of center with front wheel off the ground. The front A2 has been the best wobble free tire to date...but the front A3 is really just breaking in.

Yes, the head bearings could use replacement. If I keep the bike....Veek or tenere may be in my future...I have a laundry list of maintenace I want to do to my 2007 next winter. Swing arm, valves, head bearings...etc etc. I just stay too busy riding it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Had my Anakee 3's on gravel today for a short stretch. Not impressed. Pretty squirrelly.

Escape the cage!

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Had my Anakee 3's on gravel today for a short stretch. Not impressed. Pretty squirrelly.
That was my impression also. However I'm not so great in gravel myself. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the A3 on my wee and have done 2000 miles on them so far. Some dirt, some street. Only other comparison I have is the stock trailwings.
I find the A3 is a far superior tire on street and dirt in comparison. However, I thought the trailwings were average at best on both. I am very impressed with the A3 on the street. Very nice ride. The only dirt experience I have is hardpacked dirt with sections of larger rock. I thought the tires did great. Very grippy and predictable. The only deep gravel I have been in was a problem for any bike, so I can't really tell.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
It would be interesting to hear what these tires are like in the rain. I have the A2 on currently and they are great in rain, but the A3 tread pattern is significantly different.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I ride my Vee year-round (sans ice) and in my opinion the A3s are very capable in the rain/wet pavement. They really are a nice street tire.

Escape the cage!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts