StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little solo ride (800km) was taken to see how cold this weekend really was! Friday was a run down the Lions Rd and Summerland Way (Nth NSW on the QLD border) into Clarence Way and a dirt section at Duck Creek. This area is great if you can spend some time here next year if you are up for the annual gathering from down south. A recent posting showed a group of us in the same area at Paddys Flat a few weeks ago.

It was bloody freezing by Qld standards (-2 overnight). The digital thermo jumped from 2 bars to 3 bars all day. No heated grips meant cold fingers - and I think my toes were frozen.

This is Glenlyon Lake west of Tenterfield. A caravan with a heater was $35 for the night at Tenterfield, the Telegraph Hotel served up prawns and hot foods at the bar with a nice hot fire. A great pub to watch the Titans v Dragons. It was a very cold walk back to the van at midnight.

The area around the dam has some nice runs, this dirt was on the lower side of the dam (not open to public), but there are many others in the region. I had a wild pig run out at me on my left, which was a bit of a surprise - to say the least. At least the avoidance manouvre and adrenalin warmed me up..

The run back to the coast took me along this section at Cherry Gully. Anything but the highway.. So If you are coming up for the Stromtroopers gathering next year we have some nice spots to explore. A bit different to Bright this year, but still very nice. A group of us (4 Stroms) are off camping at the Horizons gathering next weekend. I hope it warms up just a little. Cheers.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Goodonya Trev,

I was starting to think we were all gone into hibernation for the winter, good to see someone out and about.

I don't recognise any of those places, I think I might be feeling a ride coming on.

:hurray:

Pete.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Hmmm, maybe a centrally heated tent would be handy.

-2 is getting a little on the cool side.

Thanks for the post Trevor.

Nice to see pics of some good countryside.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
A good looking ride Mustang, thanks for sharing.
At -2 I think you could shout yourself a set of heated grips mate, was one of my first farkles :yesnod:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks for the post Mustang, country looks great :thumbsup:

That 1st pic looks like it might of had a bit of water through there not too long ago?

Look forward to catching up at Bingara.

:cheers2:
BOB

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ride thru northern NSW

Trev I am new to the forum and live just outside Urbenville, Great to see riders down thru this way, the jan 2011 floods have changes some of the landscape down thru Pretty Gully etc but whatv a great place to ride.

I recently bought a Strom 650 and am looking forward to getting out there. I wanted to ask about your panniers, what brand are they and do they need a rack or support frame. Cheers Brett

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Panniers

Hi Brett, your area of the world is great for riding, perfectly suited to the strom. A few of us get out and about down your way. I will send you a PM next time we get down there. We are up nth next weekend.

I usually have hard case Givi side panniers, but with dirt / gravel I wanted some soft ones (less bounce and bulk?). The ones in the pics, I just bought 2nd hand of another GC strom owner, so I have both options now. They have 2 velcro straps that go over the seat, I don't know how they would sit without brackets, I just strap them to the Givi brackets as an extra precaution.

Cheers - Trevor - PS The soft panniers are Motodry (expandable)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I have similar soft bags, they work O.K. (May even be the same bags)

If I know I'm doing dirt I have a sports bag strapped across the top and a cargo net with custom clips holding the lot down and together. As Mustang says, it's a better option than hard cases for dirt, particularly if you ride solo - vastly reduces the risk of a broken ankle.

Didn't go as far as you, was going to go through Kyogle and the Lions road since the weather forecast was good for Saturday but bad for late Saturday/Sunday/Monday - I decided to check out the Border Ranges road instead. Good, it wasn't muddy - Bad - damn that was cold at 8 in the morning ;)

Pete

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Trev I am new to the forum and live just outside Urbenville, Great to see riders down thru this way, the jan 2011 floods have changes some of the landscape down thru Pretty Gully etc but whatv a great place to ride.

I recently bought a Strom 650 and am looking forward to getting out there. I wanted to ask about your panniers, what brand are they and do they need a rack or support frame. Cheers Brett
I have a set of RJ's soft Touring saddle bags I use when I don't want the Givi hard cases on too.
RJays Touring Saddle Bag
For $80 you can't go wrong.

I use the chiller bags that you buy at Coles/Woolworths as inner bags for them [the silver lined, zip top ones you buy for $5 to take your frozen stuff home from the supermarket].

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice work Mustang, can ya post a google map of yer route if it ain't to much trouble?

I was down at Glenlyon Dam on wednesday, trying to get the tag for a game on another forum, then went and saw a bit more of the countryside down south, rained all the way back and got home from my run Sunday evening.

Guyra was -3 at 10:30 am, and at 110 on the highway, it was bloody freezing.

YouTube - ‪Rain and Icicles June 2011_0001.wmv‬‏

·
Registered
868 Posts
The Rjays look ok for the money, AMA at Yatala have the Motodry ones for $115 and they are supposed to be waterproof. I will check them both out when I count up my coins. If anyone knows of anyyne who wants to buy a 1994 GTR1000 I have one for sale, as I need to cut some costs. I also have a brand new 61 LTR GIVI Top Box that came with the bike still in box for sale. I already have a 43 Ltr on the bike can send photos if anyone interested. Cheers

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A popular spot

It looks like there were 3 of us down that way over the last few days or so. It's a great spot. I tried the map thingy christo, but...it wouldn't follow where I went. From Urbenville I went south through lower duck creek. The dam area is nice eh? Also what is the 'tag' you speak of? It sounds interesting - sort of like that Geo thing that people do.

Thanks for the tip on the liners too ockerstrom, I will try that. Trevor

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Tenterfield

There's a really good ride that links the Gwydir with Tenterfield. You turn west at Deepwater and head towards the Mole River, this brings you out west of Tenterfield near Mt Mackenzie. This is a good lookout. You can then take the Bruxner across to Drake or the Mt Lindsay back to Brisbane. Drake for the fang, Mt Lindsay for the dirt and scenery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts