StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wrenching on cars since I was old enough to walk as my dad was a professional mechanic.
I'm pretty dang good at taking things apart and putting them back together.
So imagine my dismay when I went to change the air filter today and when I'm done I have two 4mm shoulder screws with the "big" head sans flange left over. That's a first for me - I've never had any parts left over. So I went back over the panels with a careful eye:
The three in the side tank cover are there -
the front one on the side strip panel under the seat is there,
the two on the top that holds the front/top tank strip are there.
The two holding the front tank bracket are there.
So where the hell do these two go? I looked at the xploded diagram in the service manual in section 9 where it describes how to take the frame stuff off and I'll be dipped if I can spot any I missed.
So I'm humbly asking for someone to restore my dignity by figuring out where these two cursed screws go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
At a guess, the two screws that attach the black radiator shroud to the tank before you put the plastic side tank covers on. If you hold the back of the shroud near the vents and lightly pull it away from the tank and it moves then that's where they belong.

(I forgot them on once, and the last time a dealer touched my bike they also forgot to put them on)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Word for word, this was me last year but on a 2015 DL1000. So it may be slightly different. My DVD manual has crappy pictures.

I ended up removing each piece one at a time carefully checking for open holes as I went. There was one spot on each side I missed. "The 3 on each side tank cover" as you say. I believe the rear most one thats covered by the top tank plastic, on each side was missing.

I've done it twice. Not what ya want to here, but go back though disassembly, minus tank removal, you'll find the empty threads.

Hopefully someone with same bike can assist better?

Good luck.

Here's where the ones are I missed, under this spot on photo.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
At a guess, the two screws that attach the black radiator shroud to the tank before you put the plastic side tank covers on. If you hold the back of the shroud near the vents and lightly pull it away from the tank and it moves then that's where they belong.

(I forgot them on once, and the last time a dealer touched my bike they also forgot to put them on)
I stand corrected. I just took another look at my 2015V. It was the two UK-Vstrom is refering to that I missed. Their quite hidden and easy to miss.

I'd bet he nailed it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stand corrected. I just took another look at my 2015V. It was the two UK-Vstrom is refering to that I missed. Their quite hidden and easy to miss.

I'd bet he nailed it.

The only two screws anywhere near the shroud are the two front tank bracket screws. They're in.
Other than that I don't think I took any off from teh shroud but I think y'all are right - I'll just have to take the side panels off again and look for two empty holes.
I seem to recall there were two towards the bottom that I hadn't realized were holding the tank in - possibly that's what y'all are referring to and I bet I neglected to put those in - they don't really jump out at you.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
That's them.I took off the shrouding on my '14 DL1K to adjust the TPS, and when I was all done...I had these 2 large-head shoulder bolts. Took off the side trim, there they were.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts