1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Interesting engineering, but why?
There is a lot of extra weight, most of it unsprung, so the performance and handling will both suffer. It may put more rubber on the road, but that will depend on tyre pressure. The grip a tyre can provide is (Coefficient of friction between the tyre and the road) X (Load on the tyre). So if you apply the same load through twice as many tyres you get the same amount of total grip. This is because each tyre has half the load on it, therefore half as much grip, but there are twice as many of them, so 1/2 x 2 = 1.
You could achieve the same effect with a lot less weight and cost if you changed the rims, modified the guards and just fitted oversize tyres, but it would still be pointless IMHO.

This is also interestingly engineered but utterly pointless:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=humZvaGnlsw

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Looking for a way to have more fun on a four wheeler.

·
Registered
114 Posts
An interviewer once asked a Honda engineer why they designed and built the Rune. He answered "Because we can".

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
An answer to a question that wasn't asked

2 Things,
1. That was what I said to the Ducati folks when I test rode the Diavel at an invitation ride intro.
2. I think Yamaha has introduced a 2 wheel front end on the FZ09.

Then there is the reply in the Harry Potter series..."Bloody 'ell!"

·
Super Moderator
4,517 Posts
I'd like to ride it. Was the engineer clever enough to overcome the obvious potential steering difficulties? If he did the bike would have more grip in corners and braking, and the bike would ride a lot more comfortably. Economically impractical but brilliant engineering if it is safe to ride.

·
Super Moderator
4,517 Posts
I was in Tijuana once and will never forget the fat unshaven and sweating mexican trying to sell nachos out of an old caravan parked in town. He stood there leaning against the counter with fly swatter in hand. Every time a fly landed on the counter (and there were plenty about) he would quickly swat it and flick it off the counter into his van. We did not buy.
Definitely a Kiwi bike. That's a Kiwi rego holder under the number plate with a warrant of fitness holder beside it. All legal and roadworthy then. Impressive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts