StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Pacific Northwest of the US and am thinking (dreaming) of taking a trip to the UK, renting a bike, and riding around the islands for a week, maybe two, depending on costs.

I'd specifically like to check out Scotland and rural Wales and England, and perhaps Ireland as well (in that order). Based on time available which is based on cost.

My target is 2010.

I've seen some companies that rent bikes and BMW seems to be the most prevalent. I'm not tied to having to rent a Strom (I ride a 2007 DL650) but that'd be my preference if it's available.

What suggestions do you have? Any specific time of year that you recommend? Special places to visit? I prefer rural routes that are paved, this isn't meant to be an enduro event. Places to avoid?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I live in the Pacific Northwest of the US and am thinking (dreaming) of taking a trip to the UK, renting a bike, and riding around the islands for a week, maybe two, depending on costs.

I'd specifically like to check out Scotland and rural Wales and England, and perhaps Ireland as well (in that order). Based on time available which is based on cost.

My target is 2010.

I've seen some companies that rent bikes and BMW seems to be the most prevalent. I'm not tied to having to rent a Strom (I ride a 2007 DL650) but that'd be my preference if it's available.

What suggestions do you have? Any specific time of year that you recommend? Special places to visit? I prefer rural routes that are paved, this isn't meant to be an enduro event. Places to avoid?

I've only rented a minivan over there, and I must say it took a bit to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road. It felt morally wrong. Almost got us all killed pulling out of the rental lot. The roads are slightly less wide, especially in the countryside.

A GPS and a working knowlege of roundabouts will go a long way too.

Myself, I'd jump at the chance to rent almost anything but a 'Strom. Yes, even a Harley in the right situation. If a BMW is offered, why the hell not?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm also planning my next vacation to Scotland and I found an interesting site of a biker who's been several times to Scotland and the UK.

The site is written in dutch but there are al lot of pictures and link's to information on it and you can find the gps-routes of the route's he has driven.

http://lucsa1.be/Reizenlucsa1.htm

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Rent, you'll need to convert your 'Strom to Right-Hand Drive and then convert it back on your return.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So to avoid left hand driving,.. why not take a tour through Wester Europe?
Visit the Ardennes in Belgium, drive through Luxemburg in matter of munutes, la douce France, beautifull Denmark, gruntliches Germany, smörebröd Sweden...

The advantage is that in Western Europe you have excellent highways that bring you in no time from one countryside/offroad beauty to another.

To show you how fast it goes,... this summer in 11 days, of whom 3dayspartytime+1 to soberup, I drove (on an old chopper) with 2 pals 5600 km from Belgium, Holland, Germany, boat, Denmark, boat, Sweden, boat, Finland, party, boat, Estland, Letland, Lithuania, Poland (gosh never again), Germany, Holland, Belgium. Most days we drove about 900km, once 1100 km,.. two days rained out like drowned chicken getting only about 270km far,... tent on the bike, some cans of food, dry socks,... what more does one need.

Of cource, you can speak English with UK or Irish (ok, perhaps not the Irish ;-) ) natives,... but even in Lithuania,... they understand basic English. It's the esperanto of the World. Hence,... even this Belgian dude is writing you in more or less acceptable English. Can ya dig that ;-)

Yes,.. better a Strom than a BMW. No doubt ;-)
You have an excellent network of Suzuki dealers allover Europe.
The Wee is one of the most popular bikes over here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
totally right, although i live and ride in the UK, us bikers are very much a minority over here, when i get the chance i would choose to ride in france / continent every time, england is small, crowded, full of piggy banks (speed cameras) and cagers with a poor attitude towards bikes and generally a poor awareness of bikes (makes you wonder why i ride i guess), but its generally okay if you ride defencively (this is only my opinion).
Ride in the continent, most car drivers have at some point been on a scooter / bike so have a better understanding and treat you accordingly, the roads are in better condition and have wa less traffic on them, and like the man said, you guys share a similar side of the road so less to worry about there, even if you are wrong ;-)

·
Registered
373 Posts
My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in Ireland a few years back with the intention of renting a motorcycle and doing a bit of touring. After spending a couple of days with a tour (bus) and noticed how much narrower the streets were and how they drove, we bagged the idea of a bike. I'm not the best navagator and the whole driving on the left thing, we figured we'd probablly come home in boxes. We did enjoy the tour tho, they know where all the best castles are.

Of course after watching "Long Way Round" I've thought about renting a motorcycle in Europe again, maybe Scotland. A good GPS would be in order though :mrgreen:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Scotland is awesome to ride in just take your wet weather gear ;)

I lived there for a while and loved the riding till my bike died

just remember the UK is tiny, but if you stay off of the A roads it is a beautiful country to ride in

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ha, Ha, how ironic - an american wanting (dreaming) to come to the UK to ride a bike, when virtually every Uk biker wants to go to the USa to ride....

M8 - seriously, do not attempt to ride over here without keeping some waterproofs very near!!!! It's a lovelly green country for a reason!

Joking aside - we do have some fantastic riding roads all over the country, just learn how how to deal with roundabouts (always give way to the right) and you'll be fine...

Oh - and dont forget to tell us all when you come over.....;)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't ride in my own country (Oregon, and the Pacific Northwest) without carrying waterproof gear. In fact, I don't wear anything that isn't waterproof to begin with. I just have an Oregonian's attitude that "if it isn't raining, it's about to."

I watched a show on the Speed channel called "Two Wheel Trippin'" with three guys that take road trips together. One episode had them riding all over Scotland. Of course, the weather was nearly perfect during the four days they were there but many of the locals mentioned how cold and wet it can be.

Regardless of the weather, I was fascinated by what I saw of Scotland on that TV show, and really do want to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can appreciate the whole trip to Scotland thing.... I've never done it, (i live about a 9hr ride from Scotland), but one of these days i'll get up there...

I'm told it's really good to ride up there and go coast to coast, and then visit the Isle of Skye too... can be done easily over 3 days...

Hmm - methinks i might have to pull the finger out this "summer".....;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts