StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would ask before I do,

Recently mounted some 20mm ammo cans on my v-strom dl1000. After much finagling (mostly due to my cordless 12v drill, thanks dad) I am happy with the result.

However as a female of moderate height, I was going to throw on some lowering links so I am less on my tiptoes.

My question is, has anyone done this combo? Any concerns with lowering the bike and an extra 40lbs on the back? I am pretty much a solo rider, and only use the ammo cans when touring, not commuting.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ammo cans

I am thinking that a photo of your ammo can luggae would be nice :yesnod:

BTW - as a male with 30" pant inseam I like my lowering links (they came with the bike, installed) , the previous owner also removed the rubber spacers from below the two sides of the seat body, to help lower it

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Interested

I just took a pair of near new 3/4" lowering links off my vee = $35 (shipped in the USA) if you're interested.
Let me know, I'll be posting them on market place in a day or 2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Watch the loading and the center of gravity!
I just finished a ride of 5100 miles to the Artic circle with the same set up and coocase mounted on the back.
Keeping control of the bike on gravel and at a speed higher than 70 MPH proved to be somewhat of an excercise. Moving all the tools to the ammo cases made a huge improvement.
I also need to mention that the bike was much lower with all the stuff loaded. This is probably due to a weak factory strut but while on the stand the bike almost tipped over a few times because it is was to low !
You might want loaded up before you do anything to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Watch the loading and the center of gravity!
I just finished a ride of 5100 miles to the Artic circle with the same set up and coocase mounted on the back.
Keeping control of the bike on gravel and at a speed higher than 70 MPH proved to be somewhat of an excercise. Moving all the tools to the ammo cases made a huge improvement.
I also need to mention that the bike was much lower with all the stuff loaded. This is probably due to a weak factory strut but while on the stand the bike almost tipped over a few times because it is was to low !
You might want loaded up before you do anything to it.
You went 5100 miles to the Artic Circle on your bike?

1. You're hardcore.
2. You have alot of time on your hands.
3. You have my respect and admiration.
4. Rock on!

·
Administrator
17,504 Posts
Dont be surprised if you drag your cans on hard riding in the twisty bits, the lowering of a tall bike tends to make problems.

M

·
0 Posts
Wrong Forum

That's the kind of mullet that goes on in the WeeStrom forum. Maybe check with those cheapskates. :fineprint:

:green_lol:

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
Might try lowering the front end first just a tad to see if that helps before changing out the doglegs?? And remember, you might need to modify your kickstand if you do go the whole lowering route??

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's the kind of mullet that goes on in the WeeStrom forum. Maybe check with those cheapskates. :fineprint:
I don't have a mullet, and I'm not a cheapskate. I just spent over 2 grand in upgrades/farkles for my Wee. I went with the ammo cans. Mainly, it was because even after looking at that 50 something page luggage picture thread I still couldn't decide what to get. It is true that I didn't want to toss out the kind of dollars it takes for a set of Jesse's.

I went with the SWMotech quick release rack. If I end up hating the ammo can set up, I can always spring for a "branded" type.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
links

I put Soupys lowering links on my vee. They work great, can be lowered or raised as needed. Just google soupys lowering links, I think I saw them on ebay = A good metal person could cut the corners of your ammo boxes so they wouldn't drag. They're fairly light metal.
Good luck

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just remember to lower your frontend an equal amount or you'll have headlight aim issues. If your high beams reach for the sky then you'll need to lower the front end a bit.

Glad the links helped you out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You went 5100 miles to the Artic Circle on your bike?

1. You're hardcore.
2. You have alot of time on your hands.
3. You have my respect and admiration.
4. Rock on!
Yes Sir I did! 5100 miles was the distance from Dallas to Anchorage via YellowStone, Fairbanks and The North Pole

1. You're hardcore. What do you expect from a Iron Butt Member :mod2_scooter:
2. You have alot of time on your hands. Not at all just got the a breaking point at work plus it helps when your boss traveling is with you :jawdrop:
3. You have my respect and admiration. I appreciate that, it was a great ride

4. Rock on! Thanks :coolgleamA:

here is the link to the adventure
DFW to Alaska - Motorcycling trip - Spot | SpotAdventures

And yes the Ammo cases were perfect for this kind of trip! Not to big so do not pack to much crap, not to small so you have enough room to carry what you need. I had absolutely no leak either, I used washers from home depot with build in seals. I put one inside and one outside for each screws and it worked flawlessly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts