StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading up on mounting 20mm ammo cans as side luggage and I've come across a lot of info on the subject but no one seems to have any schematics/blue prints/parts lists etc. I'm a broke college kid and can't afford to dish out $800 isn't for Trax luggage and I don't want plastic Givi E21's.

Does anyone have plans for home made luggage racks and 20mm (or other sizes) ammo can luggage? I have no mechanical inclinations whatsoever so overly detailed instructions of any kind will be of great value.

Also, since this project will inevitably involve the renting of a welder or the hiring of a machinist, does anyone know if it would be cheaper to buy racks and then mount the cans myself, as opposed to renting a welding machine and making the racks myself or hiring a machinist to make them for me?

Again, any info whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. And since this topic has been covered in some great detail (sans schematics) please try and keep it plan/schematic related to avoid duplicate posts/heated arguments, etc! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ammo cans

ain't they steel - and darned heavy?

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
I kept the Suzuki bag racks that survived a wreck and just bolted some 27 liter SeaHorse bags to them. The Stock bag mount frame is very stout.
Maybe you could find in the for sale section of Craigslist/fleabay?
Not having the mechanical skills of tools severely limits your options.
Where in Ca?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kept the Suzuki bag racks that survived a wreck and just bolted some 27 liter SeaHorse bags to them. The Stock bag mount frame is very stout.
Maybe you could find in the for sale section of Craigslist/fleabay?
Not having the mechanical skills of tools severely limits your options.
Where in Ca?
Im in the Antelope Valley (Palmdale/Lancaster) area. I don't mind dishing out money for the racks if it is that big of an issue but how does one then mount the ammo cans to those racks?

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
how does one then mount the ammo cans to those racks?

That's where your limited mechanical come in to play. I just lined the Seahorses up where I liked them and marked through the original mounting holes and drilled the bags and bolted the two together.
A more clever person would have made mounts that would allow for easy install/removal. I was just in a hurry and lazy. Bending a bit of metal strap and shopping the hardware section at OSH would provide for a simple, quick solution.
You are not far away, I'll PM you, we could meet at Newcombs on Hwy2 and have a coffee and show you what I threw together. Cheers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how does one then mount the ammo cans to those racks?

That's where your limited mechanical come in to play. I just lined the Seahorses up where I liked them and marked through the original mounting holes and drilled the bags and bolted the two together.
A more clever person would have made mounts that would allow for easy install/removal. I was just in a hurry and lazy. Bending a bit of metal strap and shopping the hardware section at OSH would provide for a simple, quick solution.
You are not far away, I'll PM you, we could meet at Newcombs on Hwy2 and have a coffee and show you what I threw together. Cheers.
Yeah that would be great. The bikes currently in pieces as I'm installing the fog lights so I've got the gas tank and other various bits off as I sleeve the wires from the front fork to the battery. Maybe next weekend? I'll PM you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And as for other questions....has anyone else designed a system for quick release or something similar?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I had ammo cans on my bike that were attached to Givi racks (PL532). The good thing about using those racks was after a while I felt that the cans were too small and I wanted some bigger luggage. So I bought Givi luggage that just clipped into the existing racks with no modifications. Just like already mentioned, just line up the cans the way you want them on the racks and mark your drill holes. Add some rubber washers or silicone around the holes you drill to keep them more water tight.

Ammo Cans are great. Strong, cheap and very durable. You could design a quick release if someone had a broken Givi case(s) (or whatever brand of rack you decide on) and then just fabricate the mount(s) onto the inside of the ammo cans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts