StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally completed my addition to my wee-strom, ammo box side cases. Why do you ask? SW-Motech cases - $199, Hepco and Becker side racks (no cases) - $229, Givi Side racks (no cases) - $149, Ammo Case side racks (complete) - $72. $32 for ammo boxes, $40 for pipe, tabs, and welding. Have someone come up to you and say "I love the ammo boxes", priceless.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Super utilitarian, and cheap!

No concerns about hiding the rear signal lights with the boxes sticking out so far?

·
Registered
180 Posts
You need to add a milk crate as the top box.

:p

V.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
You NEED to paint to match:

paint the strom to match the ammo boxes :lol:

You could be the first mil-spec strom of the group.

Seriously, olive drab the bike with some camo effects, drop some conti twinduros on the wheels and you (imo) would have one serious strom.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't to concerned about the boxes covering the lights. I figure that I will be infront of cars enough more than often when changing lanes.

As far as the milk crate, I have one, just haven't put it back on yet. Milk crates are great, especially when combined with a bungie net to hold everything in.

I probably won't paint the boxes, paint the bike though, that's not a bad idea.

Also the cases are rock solid with the bike. You shake the cases, you shake the bike. I also welded one side of the lid so it hinges and put a tab on the back side so I can lock it. Makes it totally secure.

I'll try and get more pics with up close views also.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Are the boxes removable with a little work or are they pretty much a permanent fixture ??

·
Registered
49 Posts
What size ammo cans are those ? I've seen some 20mm on a DR650 that looked nice. The only problem I have with using the ammo cans is the weight issue; I think they weigh between 20-25 pounds each. I have looked for the mermite cans as well but as Vstromper mentioned the cost of them keeps rising. My quest for lightweight economical panniers continues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do have to admit that they are a tad heavy. They are 20mm cans. The whole setup probably weighs around 40 lbs. As far as removability, the whole frame and cases come off in about 10 minutes, that's taking my time. The weight issue is not all that big for me, my wee still gets up and goes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
WeeStromminInGA said:
What size ammo cans are those ? I've seen some 20mm on a DR650 that looked nice. The only problem I have with using the ammo cans is the weight issue; I think they weigh between 20-25 pounds each. I have looked for the mermite cans as well but as Vstromper mentioned the cost of them keeps rising. My quest for lightweight economical panniers continues.
Seems to me that the pesky trade off here is weight. 20 - 25 lbs is a tremendous hit on the bikes useful load. Wow, but now at 40 more the lil 650 is up there at the 1k's portly dry weight. Add a passenger (I've often my girlfriend) and the bike is one tail heavy chunkster.

I'm leaning towards the ballastic nylon cases. Some styles are available in the military surplus stores for guns cases (eg paint ball guns). They're as tough as ammo cans and a fraction of the weight.

I must admit however for daily driving, my Hepco 48L trunk and Explorer tank bag are all I need and the bike stays as light as possible and stream lined for fuel economy. For long trips, I simply throw the Speedpack nylon saddle bags over the rear seat when needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess the main reasons that I went for the ammo cans was that one they are cheap and durable and two they are cool.

Here are some more pics.

·
Registered
199 Posts
hmm

yeah I think you need to paint the strom to match the cans.. I have an OD green Honda XR, those would look great on!! The only problem I see is those boxes are pretty heavy. however they are over built.. You know they make smaller squarish boxes that would make a perfect top box. also are they easily removable?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are fairly easily removable. They are mounted to the 4 mounts that the stock rack is mounted to. All you need to do is pop the seat, unscrew 4 bolts and lift it off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts