StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After each NEVA, I take a ride into your beautiful country. In 2013, I visited Gaspe and last year I rode to Cape Breton; both were excellent. This year, I am contemplating Thunder Bay or Mont Tremblant. I asked opinions over AdvRider and got one response... saying go to "Archipel de Mingnan", which is a place I never heard of.

My riding preferences are open spaces and elevation changes. I also like gravel/dirt roads but, most likely, I will be traveling alone so I need to keep it sane. My starting point is Old Forge, NY on August 2 and I could spend up to a week up there. Please make suggestions for interesting rides in Quebec and/or Ontario. If you want to ride with me, that is even better. :thumbup:

Thanks!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
One of the best road in Quebec is 381 to Saguenay. Then you may come back by 170 or 172.
Route 389 between Baie-Comeau and Manic 5 is fun too.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Pretty much due north of Old Forge , lies the very pretty town of Kingston , Ontario . Sadfly , the terrain to the north of that is pretty flat farmland , to Ottawa , our capital city , and another pretty city to visit . Lots of history , museums , etc . Leaving Ottawa towards Mont Tremblant , the roads get more interesting ; lots of ski areas means twisties .

I've heard that there's a northern route from Tremblant to Lac St Jean / Saguenay that is interesting , and allows one to to miss the traffic maelstrom that is Montreal .

Philstrom is plotting a route for post-neva , and Gord ( 568v8 ) lives in Kingston , Ontario , and is also a master route planner . DannyC will also be at NEVA and has encyclopedic route knowledge of Quebec ski area roads .

I might volounteer to ride with you , as I love the Tremblant area ( I'll be skiing there for a week in March ) , if I could keep up to you ... but you'd probably send me to the wrong ferry anyway ! :green_lol:

Alex .

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The ride up to thunder bay is apparently gorgeous. Highway 17 is one of the better roads in the province though I have yet to ride it (it's 1800km away) You could also ride manitoulin island and take the ferry.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I this it? - LINK
in this link, there is road there that are very remote and need knobby tires to be safe (50/50 like TKC80 or so)

On the south shore of St.Laurence river, there is plenty of unpaved road that are not far from civilization, can be ridden with 80/20 tire. On the north shore, you will likely find logging roads in remote area between cities.

I'm trying to take vacation on 1st week of august, I might be joining your ride

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in this link, there is road there that are very remote and need knobby tires to be safe (50/50 like TKC80 or so)

On the south shore of St.Laurence river, there is plenty of unpaved road that are not far from civilization, can be ridden with 80/20 tire. On the north shore, you will likely find logging roads in remote area between cities.

I'm trying to take vacation on 1st week of august, I might be joining your ride
Flat4awd: Are you Danny's friend, Nick? If yes, I took the ferry with you in 2013. Keep the info coming. I like dirt roads.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Pretty much due north of Old Forge , lies the very pretty town of Kingston , Ontario . Sadfly , the terrain to the north of that is pretty flat farmland , to Ottawa , our capital city , and another pretty city to visit.
There's lots of fun roads north of Kingston, or more accurately north of Hwy 7. Any one of the "500 series" roads are a hoot.

Also check out Juan Tanamera's awesome guide to great Ontario Roads. :fineprint:

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Are you stuck on crossing the border?

There are tons of fun roads to explore in the south-west PA, Ohio, West Virginia area.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That linked road sounds like fun . I am tempted , and also like dirt . I would probably double back at Saguenay , and head for home via Ottawa , where I have family .

And Thanks , Merlin , for setting me straight - although , are you referring to the magnificent roads around Calabogie ? I concur , they are amongst the best.. .:thumbup:

Alex

·
Registered
151 Posts
Flat4awd: Are you Danny's friend, Nick? If yes, I took the ferry with you in 2013. Keep the info coming. I like dirt roads.
Yes I am.

After the Neva, I was planning to go to Manic 5 dam. The road to get there is one of the twistiest found in Quebec. qc-389. there is thousands possibility to get there, and i'm open to others destination

·
Registered
161 Posts
The north shore of Lake Superior is beautiful along hwy 17.
If you go that way, make sure you stop into Sibley Park.
Dropping back into the states south of Thunder Bay , you also have the opportunity to ride the south shore of Superior. That is also a great ride.
It's a perfect circle tour or loop.

Cheers
Ray B.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That sounds like fun. Are there any dirt or gravel roads along the route?

Yes I am.

After the Neva, I was planning to go to Manic 5 dam. The road to get there is one of the twistiest found in Quebec. qc-389. there is thousands possibility to get there, and i'm open to others destination

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That linked road sounds like fun . I am tempted , and also like dirt .
I love dirt roads. I just purchased a 1200cc adventure bike and am contemplating taking it to NEVA 15. Wonder how that will go over with the hardcore Strom riders?

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
I love dirt roads. I just purchased a 1200cc adventure bike and am contemplating taking it to NEVA 15. Wonder how that will go over with the hardcore Strom riders?
Bill,
Bring it! Love to see other bikes. Everyone knows all bikes are welcome:yesnod: Which 1200 adventure? GS?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts