StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here use their ambient temp gauge (it alternates with the clock after a long press of the left outside switch)?

I like knowing the temps for my own reasons... but, this thing is anywhere from 4 to 8°F high. I wouldn't mind if it was consistently 8° high -- then I could at least extrapolate. But, it varies. I bought a a nice $45 Kuryakyn Black Marlin's Talon temp gauge, but that sucked almost as badly...

Anyone else have any comments on this? I know the sensor is replaceable, but it's a pain.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Anyone here use their ambient temp gauge (it alternates with the clock after a long press of the left outside switch)?

I like knowing the temps for my own reasons... but, this thing is anywhere from 4 to 8°F high. I wouldn't mind if it was consistently 8° high -- then I could at least extrapolate. But, it varies. I bought a a nice $45 Kuryakyn Black Marlin's Talon temp gauge, but that sucked almost as badly...

Anyone else have any comments on this? I know the sensor is replaceable, but it's a pain.
It's not the sensor, it's where the sensor is positioned.

Pete

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the sensor, it's where the sensor is positioned.

Pete
You mean where it's positioned in relation to components that might give off additional heat?
That would make sense, however, that wouldn't explain the temp fluctuations from true (unless the sensor was hanging loose... bouncing around).

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Don't have an OEM therm. on the Wee, but I share your interest in ambient temp. Installed this Lascar unit on my scooter:

General observations...

A thermometer without a remote sensor is nearly useless. A bit of sun will drive the reading up by dozens of degrees.

Sensor position is important. On the scooter, mine is in the airstream under the nose with the radiator. No problem when moving, but temp rises rapidly when stopped in traffic.

So, I would try to check/adjust sensor position and be don't expect accurate readings if stopped and sensor is exposed to sun or engine heat.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That would make sense, however, that wouldn't explain the temp fluctuations from true (unless the sensor was hanging loose... bouncing around).
Speed and wind direction effects the reading of the sensor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've only used it on occasion, usually when leaving a campsite in the morning, but in reality, I already know when it's hot or cold out:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

We have two identical 2012's and they read identical temperatures, both 3-4 degrees above ambient when ambient is 50-90 degrees. This variance increases from zero as the bikes warm up, suggesting it's a result of where the thermocouple are placed. The fact that we're seeing the same variance suggests replacing your sensor wouldn't change anything.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've noticed that when i look at mine (not often) that it starts out reading kind of high but as I get moving down the road it drops by several degrees like it's getting hit by the wind. Maybe moving the sensor would help?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I just assume mine reads 5 degrees high, which it does ALL the time. That and the speedo thing really bug me.

I might try moving it though....

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,349 Posts
I like knowing the temps for my own reasons... but, this thing is anywhere from 4 to 8°F high. I wouldn't mind if it was consistently 8° high -- then I could at least extrapolate. But, it varies.
You might be surprised at how accurate this factory gauge actually is.
Remember, it is measuring air temps around 3 ft off the road. I find mine usually shows 5 degrees ( give or take some ) off the temps quoted on the radio. Heat from the pavement, vehicles, etc will affect this sensor. Even drive by signs with temp readings seem to vary quite a bit as you drive by some that are close together. The gauge on my BMW is about the same. The ones in my cars seem similar also.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya, thanks all... Some people are clock watchers... I just happen to be a temp watcher when I ride. I've been checking it against Accuweather and Weather Channel for my (GPS based) location (both apps on my mounted phone). Just not convenient to keep poking the phone while riding).

I know idle startup and moving temps will vary all for reasons mentioned above. I'll check on the sensor position, and see if another location makes sense (probably wouldn't be worth the effort to move and re-route, anyway).

Funny thing is, I had a stick-on $3.00 gauge on another bike that was (or seemed to be) spot on... til it fell off at speed...

·
Registered
15,249 Posts
I got a 4 dollar Kitchen thermometer and tie wrapped it to the steering head. It may not be the most accurate thing but it's a bit of info that's nice to have.
Harbor Freight to the rescue!

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
1. The bank thermometer near my house read increasingly high as the temp climbs. About 5 degrees by mid-nineties, accurat at low-eighties.

2. Wind will not affect a dry probe, I don't think, other than moving away engine heat - probe must be in front of heat source with respect to wind direction.

3. Good point about road temps. Ever notice the reported track temps at races. :yikes:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Formotion stick on. With the GPS above it, the thermo pretty much stays out of the sun - of course it reads wildly high if it does get direct sunlight. On this ride I watched it for 1.5 hours waiting for it to hit 40.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey, this is right up my alley, I'm a weather forecaster. I had noticed that the temp sensor on the bike seemed to off by a few degrees and it was bugging me so one slow night shift I had an idea. I parked my wee2 next to the $415,000 weather sensor on te airfield I work at and let it sit all night to see how the bikes temp sensor would compare to the airfield sensor. Come morning time I went and checked and the bike was ~4 degrees high. I actually repeated this a few nights and always got the same result, ~4 degrees high.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts