StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
Wrong size but I loved that tire on my 1000.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
They call them DunFLOP for a reason ;-) I'm a Michelin man myself... but I did just buy some Continental TKC-70's which I really like so far.

Tires for 650 are 110-80-19 and 150-70-17

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
They call them DunFLOP for a reason ;-) I'm a Michelin man myself... but I did just buy some Continental TKC-70's which I really like so far.

Tires for 650 are 110-80-19 and 150-70-17
That TR91 is a helluva good tire, and I have run many different tires on my Stroms over the years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am having a rough time finding a decent affordable 150. Thought I could use a 140? Preliminary search right now. Need 90% road tire.

Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I had a good experience with my Trailmax as well.

Only downside: if you're short of leg, the higher profile will raise the bike slightly. I suppose the contact patch would be slightly smaller as well.

Otherwise, I think you'd get very good miles/dollar with it!

Reactions: Big B

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
I am having a rough time finding a decent affordable 150. Thought I could use a 140? Preliminary search right now. Need 90% road tire.

Thanks for the input.
What is decent affordable to you? Might look at the Bridgestone Battlewing, they have been replaced with the A40 but they can still be had......GREAT TIRE!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you are looking for affordable dual sport tires the Shinko 705's will work. The bias ply tire gave me issues with separating in the tread area which became a known defect with that tire. I switched the newer radial ply set and had no issues. Mileage was around 7K on the back and 14K for the front tire for my style of riding.

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
The Shinko's will save you a bundle and are discussed around page 80
of The Tire Thread

Reactions: notacop

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Shinkos look interesting. Would like to spend $100 or less. I will get killed on instillation at the dealer. Stock rear looks like it is good for another 1k or so(7000m).

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
Thanks! Shinkos look interesting. Would like to spend $100 or less. I will get killed on instillation at the dealer. Stock rear looks like it is good for another 1k or so(7000m).
Love the Shinko's, but they might be a bit too aggressive for what you are wanting. They do ride and handle amazingly well for their tread pattern, I happen to be a huge fan. You are not going to find many quality tires in the price range you specified, so my advice is to never skimp on tires or brakes. :wink2:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
never skimp on tires or brakes.
I agree. Daily rider and my off road is limited. Over the summer I hope to get on some logging trails, extc. But nothing aggressive.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm running this on the back of my Strom now. I definitely like it. However, for the sake of trying something else, I will be looking to some PR4's when these are done

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just switched from Shinko 705s to the 804/805s. Handle just as well on pavement, and rock off road. They look great too. Less noise then the 705s too. Awesome value.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just finished off a rear one of these in the 140/80 size. They replaced an Avon Azaro. I paid considerably less for it on Ebay and have been satisfied. I am a fast rider on road and I ran through NC, TN, WV, VA and PA mountain roads on it and kept up with 600 sport bikes on the tail of the dragon. I also did some dirt roads and river crossings and it worked fine so I can recommend it. I ride a 2012 DL650. I run whatever i can get a good steal on through Ebay, don't match tires either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Best Dunlop for 60/40

That TR91 is a helluva good tire, and I have run many different tires on my Stroms over the years.
Let's say that you one a free set of Dunlop tires (Listen to "Talking Motorcycles with Barry Boon" Podcast) and wanted to do something more agressive than the OEM tires. While I ride predominately street I try to avoid Freeways and I am always looking for a dirt road or gravel shoulder I can play around in. I'm wondering if anyone would consider/or has used a more dirt biased Dunlop on there V-strom? Obviously the TR91 Trailmax is an easy choice but I'm wondering if there is Dunlp that would be more similar to the big block Kenda's or Shinko's that someone might recommend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts