StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 208 wee for about ten years and just bought a 2006 Vee. The power's great, but the handling sucked. It just didn't want to lean over, and when I forced it over, it wanted to stand back up. It was also squirrely if there were any bumps in the corner. I thought I was going to have to turn around and re-sell it. Then I bought a set of Michelin Anakees and, wow, they make all the difference in the world! I had no idea that tires could make that much difference!

Bob

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have found this to be true, tire profile and compound have a drastic effect on handling and road feel/feedback.
Tires have been improved so drastically over my 40 years of riding it’s amazing to me, nothing better than breaking in a new set of rubber.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I've owned a 208 wee for about ten years and just bought a 2006 Vee. The power's great, but the handling sucked. It just didn't want to lean over, and when I forced it over, it wanted to stand back up. It was also squirrely if there were any bumps in the corner. I thought I was going to have to turn around and re-sell it. Then I bought a set of Michelin Anakees and, wow, they make all the difference in the world! I had no idea that tires could make that much difference!

Bob
If you still need to quicken the steering of the Big V, raise the fork tubes up in the triple trees by 25mm. I did and I really like the result!!! :thumbup:

Reactions: Rides

·
Registered
224 Posts
+1 on dropping the triple trees, previous owner was 5’4” and dropped them exactly that much.
I’m not changing it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
raising forks

When I bought mine, the forks were about 25 mm raised. I dropped them back down because I scraped hard on the first turn I took (a favorite corner of mine), that I take easily on my wee without touching.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Probably any new tires would have made a big difference.

I had a set of Bridgestone T30(/EVO) on my Yamaha. Had changed the rear, so it was good, but the front was badly worn and in need of replacement. With it the bike did not want to turn in, and wanted to stand up in turns. Required a lot of bar pressure to keep it leaned over. After I replaced it with a new T30 EVO, the bike went back to its nice, relatively neutral handling.

I hadn't realized front tire wear and profile could have such a big influence on handling (though it makes sense, since the front wheel is the one attached to the forks and handlebars), I always thought it was the rear tire squaring off (visibly) that affected my handling so much.

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
Install some proper straight rate fork springs "and proper rear spring" for your weight and riding style, the handling will become much better yet. :fineprint:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Install some proper straight rate fork springs "and proper rear spring" for your weight and riding style, the handling will become much better yet. :fineprint:
Yep. These things arrive criminally undersprung. Get the suspension up where it's supposed to be and you've suddenly got a very damn agile bike...

Suzuki has always done this for some reason. I think Suzuki provides employment for retired ballerinas and horse jockeys as test riders.

Reactions: Big Boy and Big B

·
Registered
3016 DL1000 ABS
538 Posts
Fit a set of Road 5's or Dunlop TrailSmarts and the steering will quicken a little more as they have a less rounded front tyre profile than Anakees.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
You will be even more amazed with some stickier tires. Removed a set of those ankee dirt bike tires and installed some conti trail attacks >:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Old Jeep, Ha ha, that's what it had on it, but they were worn into a weird shape, especially the front. The rear had a flat running surface with angular corners, but the front was worn into a kind of peak in the middle. Very strange, and very strange handling. The previous owner had done a couple of sessions at a superbike school so, I don't know the reasons for the weird wear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Griff2, I can tell you one thing...the Anakees are a darn sight better than what was on there. The bike handles pretty close to how my wee handles...a little better at higher speeds. The bike feels more solid, or planted at freeway speeds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts