StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally speaking, when you order stuff from up here, it takes minimum of 2 weeks to get here, if not longer. I ordered a set of NR CL850 bags from MotorcycleGear.com (formerly Newenough.com) and a set of PMR racks, both on December 31. They arrived in Anchorage already, and the only reason I don't have them in hand is because they have to be trucked out here on the USPS truck, and so they won't make it to my front door until Monday. But I was amazed at the quick service. Two thumbs up!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have found living in Fairbanks really sucks when in comes to ordering things. It's not the time it takes, but the money in shipping. It cost me over $250 to have my Jesee panniers shipped here last year.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have found living in Fairbanks really sucks when in comes to ordering things. It's not the time it takes, but the money in shipping. It cost me over $250 to have my Jesee panniers shipped here last year.
Yup! Over the years I've come to believe that when it comes to shipping stuff to Alaska, there's something about sending it here that means an automatic increased rate, purely because it's Alaska. Something magical/mystical about Alaska that seems to mean a higher price is in order.

One time I was at a car dealer in Anchorage and noticed on the window sticker that there was an "additional dealer markup of $2500.00. I asked a salesman what that was about, and he told me that that was because it was in Alaska!! My response was that if I had actually been shopping for a car, that would be the first thing to come off the table, even before discussing a deal and making an offer. He seemed to be offended.

Something else you'll discover, if you haven't already, is that when there are price reductions at stores and fast food places, often those "special" prices don't apply to Alaska and Hawaii. Ain't it fun? What might cost, say $8.00 to UPS or FedEx something in the lower 48 states can cost up to $20.00 or more to ship it up here or back down there. I feel so special.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I just shipped a small eBay item I sold via Priority Flat Rate and it was processed through Anchorage from Colorado Springs in two business days. Not too bad I thought.

·
Registered
679 Posts
+1 on Motorcycle Gear/New Enough dot com! Fantastic outfit. Friendly and very helpful. I've gotten some great deals there. They are my new #1 apparel provider.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
818 Posts
yes. plus 1. motorcyclegear.com is a good co., and resides in texas.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Something magical/mystical about Alaska that seems to mean a higher price is in order.
Uh, yeah, that "something" would be Canada. A huge chunk of which is in between you and the lower 48. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Why is anyone surprised it would cost more to ship stuff to a place that's significantly further away, across a lot more remote/ barren terrain (or via ship)?

Met some locals in the Caribbean who were complaining about the prices of everything on their tiny tropical island paradise. Everything on the island is imported. EVERYTHING. Every drop of fuel, every piece of equipment/ machinery, every brick, every stick of lumber, every piece of meat, every sack of grain.

Gee, 'ya think shipping prices might be a little higher there?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'd still move to Alaska in a frickin heartbeat tomorrow were it not for three things;

1) A job
2) My wife won't go (I've tried)
3) My two boys

Got 6 years until the youngest graduates high school, then all the cards are off the table for me. If the old lady keeps nagging my ass, which has been the trend the last couple years and doesn't appear to be changing, then you Alaskans need to be on the lookout for a Texan transplant....

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why is anyone surprised it would cost more to ship stuff to a place that's significantly further away, across a lot more remote/ barren terrain (or via ship)?

Met some locals in the Caribbean who were complaining about the prices of everything on their tiny tropical island paradise. Everything on the island is imported. EVERYTHING. Every drop of fuel, every piece of equipment/ machinery, every brick, every stick of lumber, every piece of meat, every sack of grain.

Gee, 'ya think shipping prices might be a little higher there?
The way I figure it, if you ship something from, say, Seattle to Anchorage, it's about 1400 air miles. If you ship the same thing from Seattle to a point 1400 miles away in the lower 48, such as Denver, for example, shouldn't the cost be the same, if distance is the consideration? That is if the same package goes by the same means, and granted, if it goes UPS, it'll come to Alaska by air, so figure it that way.

So here's a shocker. I need to send a set of skis to Juneau. USPS won't do it due to the size. UPS will, but the cheapest means is second day air, at a price of $276.00!! So I went to FedEx, and they'll take it by ground for $20.46. Boy was I surprised. FedEx's second day air rate was expensive but considerably less than UPS, but still way more than I was willing to pay for a set of skis that are worth, basically, nothing.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Ocean shipping to Alaska
News | Totem Ocean Trailer Express
Horizon Lines - Alaska

A UPS or FedEx not-air shipment will be put into a truck trailer (TOTE) or container (Horizon Lines) in Tacoma, Washington. Twice a week a ship of each company will be loaded and sail to Anchorage. In Tacoma by Wednesday, in Anchorage by Sunday. Then it takes some time to be re-handled in Anchorage and sent on to its destination. Weather matters.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If it helps, shipping to Canada can be stupid also...I've seen stuff selling that was 8.95$ shipping in the lower 48, but 35$ shipping to Canada. And this is coming from Pennsylvania to Toronto!!!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My bags and racks arrived at the front door late this afternoon. :hurray: Now I have a great project for tomorrow. Only thing is that the racks did not have any mounting instructions, however it looks like it will be fairly self-explanatory.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
The way I figure it, if you ship something from, say, Seattle to Anchorage, it's about 1400 air miles. If you ship the same thing from Seattle to a point 1400 miles away in the lower 48, such as Denver, for example, shouldn't the cost be the same
It might be volume and fuel, etc. and things we're not familiar with.

If it helps, shipping to Canada can be stupid also...I've seen stuff selling that was 8.95$ shipping in the lower 48, but 35$ shipping to Canada. And this is coming from Pennsylvania to Toronto!!!
I shipped a package for an inmate with the US mail, that SuperStores wanted $30 shipping, cost $12 from NJ.
I know from my Ebay selling days, if it's leaving the US, the privateers are the most expensive, plus the receiver gets hassled with customs and taxes, much more frequent.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have never figured out just why northbound miles are either longer or more expensive than southbound miles, or east or westbound miles, or why the miles are longer up here than down there. Or something like that.

Actually, I believe it's a throwback to quite a few years ago when Alaska and Hawaii were still territories and considered "foreign" of sorts because they're not directly connoted, physically to the continental U.S. What does amuse me is that I could ship something from Idaho to Florida and it gets there in a couple days. Or I could order something from a vendor and receive it in 3--4 days max, but the same thing up here seems to take, on average, two weeks. At least that's what all the businesses tell us--7--10 days. Sometimes we're pleasantly surprised, as in this case. Up here, it's just a fact of life.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts