StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It runs July 20-22 in Lexington Ohio and host vintage racing, the largest swap meet of vintage parts in the country so I'm told and is a "family friendly" good time!

I have missed the past two years but have already secured my weekend pass and camping spot for this year so I'm going come he** or high water!

I'm meeting a couple friends from the turbo(Yam 650) forum that I belong to as well as a few from the Kaw triple forum that I know......so is anyone from this forum going?

I rode out on my Vstrom in '09 not knowing a soul there and had a blast so if you're wondering if you'll have fun by yourself, don't.....all you need is an interest in vintage bikes of any kind and you'll meet more than a few new friends!!

I'm planning on arriving sometime mid morning on Friday, riding my Vstrom 1000 of course.

jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I went for the first time last year and had an AWESOME time!

Since I have a newborn I will be missing it this year.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wouldnt miss it. I will be the guy walking in front of an my dad who will be on a john deere mower.

Mothead, I'll keep an eye out for you and stop up in the camping area and say "hi", my bike will probably look a lot like it did in the pic but without the trash bag accessory<LOL>!!

Dgrav, congrats on the little one! Sorry that you won't be able to make it though.

jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll Be There

This year I'll be riding my "04 Wee for my first big trip on it. I've made the trip several times in the past on my '77 Goldwing. I travel there from Ithaca, NY with usually one stop overnight each way (all back roads). The Goldwing never let me down so I'm hoping for no problems on the Wee.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always wanted to go. I have heard many good things about the weekend. Maybe I will go for it this year. I just wish it was in area with more twisty roads. Of course I can find some between my house and there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I always wanted to go. I have heard many good things about the weekend. Maybe I will go for it this year. I just wish it was in area with more twisty roads. Of course I can find some between my house and there.
You sure can stumble across some getting there. How about Fairmont, WV 250 to Moundsville, across the river and down 7 to 556 to 145 and north on 26, west on 148 to north on 800 all the way up to 250 again, then straight back roads to MidOhio. Haven't been down the WV stretch of 250 in many years, hope all the pavement hasn't slid off the side of the hills...

Hope to see you there, more so, hope to meet Jeff if he brings his avatar.:yesnod: I haven't missed one (Vintage Days) in the last 10 years. Normally go on Friday to avoid some of the crowds

Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
For those of you who have not been to the vintage days it is awesome!!! Huge vintage swap meet. They usually have a vintage flat track races in Ashland Ohio ( about 1/2 hour from mid ohio) on Friday night. Not sure if I will make this year but if I do I will look you up. I'll be putting around on a red 72 yamaha ct2 if I make it. Have a safe trip..:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's some pretty good props Matt but very true! The first time I rode out on '09, I was like a kid in a candy store.....I had left my home near Annapolis around midnight and after riding all night, pulled into the camping area around 10-10:30 the next morning. I was too tired to sleep so I walked to the pit areas of the track, watching as the vintage racers took me back in time to 1974 when I myself was touching knees in the corners with our GT750 road racer. The catwalk over the pit garages provide a view few ever get at any race. Then a short cut through the "swap meet" turned into a 5 hour lazy day spent making new friends, looking at some beautiful machinery and some in need of a skilled restorer.....by the time I made it back to my tent, it was nearly 6pm. The next day I watched the hacks race then watched several of the shows like the police bikes. I stood in line to ride the can-am but after finding out there was no "lean", I bagged it<LOL>!

I've NEVER heard anyone say they had a bad time, even if it rained!

I won't have my avatar(just a pic I found) or my GF but I hope to meet some of you guys.

There is a dozen guys/gals now going from the Kaw Triples board, some from the UK and a couple from the turbo boards too. Tim, lets' keep an eye out for one another and if you see my Vee, leave a cell # on it....I'll do the same!

jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Damn, Jeff, that is one very fine avatar! I plan on going. Went there several years ago and had a blast. I love the demo rides. KTM will be offering demo rides on their 2013 bikes.
Cris

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll be parked in the paddock area near the track for most of the show. My brother races a BSA C-15 250cc bike so we camp out right there in his van. I hope I get to run into some of you 'stromers while I'm there.

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
I went with some buddies back in 2006 - stayed in Bucyrus (the Bratwurst Capital of the USA)......I don't recommend staying in the Knight's Inn, it was "never take your shoes off" gross, but we did have a blast at the Vintage Days, and found some great eats in Bucyrus (a terrific pizza joint, and a bar that sells gigantic fried baloney sandwiches).

I'd love to somehow make it back this year, for the roads around Mid-Ohio are so nice and curvy to cruise on, but it will be a game day decision! A few choice snaps from my 2006 visit.

Bring plenty of beer, but why not keep it cool, and mobile!

Really - don't wear black.......really.

And, keep out of the sun whenever possible - Vintage Days is in the HOT time of summer!

It's OHIO, so helmets are truly Optional!

Stay Hydrated, and look out for the BACON!

Some really cool, rare sheeeit.....

And, look out for incredibly shiny chromery!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll be parked in the paddock area near the track for most of the show. My brother races a BSA C-15 250cc bike so we camp out right there in his van. I hope I get to run into some of you 'stromers while I'm there.

OK, sweet....I'll look for you down there.

I snapped this one in 09 when BSA was the featured Marque

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
wouldn't miss it!

I went last year for my first time, rode the Wee up from NC, along with a buddy on his GS. Swore to myself after the first ten minutes of being there I would be at this every year from then on, well, this year will be my second. Not riding up this time, I had such a good time last year the family want to go this year so, i'll be trailering the Wee, along with my beater 91 yammy XT225 and my sons 73 yammy DT100. even thinking i might enter the XT in the hare scrambles for my year. we'll see. i'll be meeting up with my bud from OH, so look for us as well. we'll be along the backstretch on the woods side. 1 red/black wee, 1 orange wee, beat up XT, old red yammy, 3 scooters, cr85, and whatever else we can cram in. stop in and have a beer.
The best part is going to be after the show, my bud and i are saddling up the Wees for a weeklong ride through Michigan!:thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know Johnboy

How about a V (wee) strom photo shoot on Saturday. So all of you strom riders, putt over to campsite 83 or 84 (bout half way down the backstretch)...say about 4:00 and we'll have a meet and greet and line up the stroms for a vintage days photo. Don't have a strom....stop by anyway!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I have my weekend pass with camping, plan on leaving Lancaster PA sunrise on Friday and taking the short route there (PA Turnpike). Long way home starting Sunday afternoon with a motel stay that night. Anyone want to ride together maybe we could meet up some where.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll be there for sure! Got a combo ticket to Mid-Ohio for superbikes this weekend and vintage days the following weekend.

Keep an eye out for me and say hello; I've got a personalized ADV sticker on the back of the 2012 DL650.

·
Registered
30 Posts
just finished a round trip...mansfield, ohio to durham north carolina with my daughter (1465 miles) now a couple days to recover, then vintage days and loop of michigan....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Plans Changed

Thought I'd be camping out in the paddock with my brother but, unfortunately, he had unexpected surgery now happening the same weekend. I'll miss it, but I don't want to make the trip without him.

Maybe I'll meet you all next year. Have fun

1 - 20 of 22 Posts