StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a AAA member for quite a few years. Was considering getting an AMA membership. Anybody have any experience with AMA versus AAA? From prior experience the AAA has been well worth it for me and my fam. After looking at the AMA site Im not really seeing anything that makes them better than what I get at AAA. Thoughts, experiences, suggestions?

·
Registered
197 Posts
AMA versus AAA

I have the regular AAA membership. However, the regular AAA membership does not include motorcycle towing. You have to upgrade to a more expensive RV membership to get that.

On the other hand, I wasn't impressed with AMA, either, when I tried to use their road service. I called them when I got a flat tire on the freeway. They asked me a ton of questions. While I was still answering those questions, a local free tow truck showed up and offered me free service. I thanked the AMA operator and told him never mind, so I don't know how much longer their tow truck would have taken.

I hope someone else has had a satisfactory experience with one of these services, but I have not so far.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had the AAA RV service for years and have used it several times for cars and bikes. Most of the time, provided it's not a busy city at rush hour, the service has been fine and I've had no complaints. But it's expensive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A couple of years ago my wife and I were on my Harley when it went dead a few miles west of Cashmere on Hwy 2. I called the AMA tow number. Turned out their call center is in Florida. It took them over three hours to find a tow company in Wenatchee. (It was a weekday, so it should have been dead easy.) When the truck came an hour after that, it was not set up to load a motorcycle. My wife and I were so exhausted by then (it was a 100 degree day), we cooperated with the truck driver to jury-rig the Harley onto his flatbed. He took us to the Harley dealer in Wenatchee. We broke down about 10:30 a.m. and arrived at the Harley dealer fifteen miles away at about 5:15 p.m. (The dealer was great - we were back on the road by six.)

If I hadn't made at least a dozen calls to the AMA "service" I think we would never have gotten anything out of them.

In spite of their lousy tow service I am still a member of AMA. They do good work fighting for motorcyclists' rights, lobbying against motorcycle bans on roads and trails, etc. But if I need a tow again, I'll call the AAA even though my standard AAA membership doesn't cover motorcycle tows. They know which companies can tow bikes. (I think you need to have a "RV membership" in AAA to get bike towing coverage.)

PS. Many thanks to the orchardist in front of whose farm we broke down. He provided us with more water to drink and asked if we would like food. What great people!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I was an AMA member for years, mostly for the towing. They did haul the old Shovelhead from the Keys back to Fort Lauderdale, but I had to pay part because we went past "an authorized repair center." I didn't like the financial scandals and the way AMA was handling racing, so I dropped my membership.

I joined AAA this year; they seem to have gotten past the old RV pricing model. You can pick any of their 3 service levels and add motorcycle coverage to them.

You can get the "Classic" plan with a car and bike covered for about $90/year. The other "benefits" are stuff like hotel reservations etc.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have Progressive Ins., and for ten bucks a year you can add roadside assistance. Tow you anywhere you want within fifteen miles.

I had to use it a few years back for a flat tire. Service was great. The driver used extra precaution to not scratch or scuff the paint when strapping the bike down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
thanks for the info - i have progressive and did not know that about the roadside assistant

thats worth the $10 for sure:yesnod:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the comments.. good and bad. We have a family package "Plus" that covers all of our cars. I didnt know about the bike not being covered. Guess I'll have to add mine and the wifes scoots onto the plan. Like I said, we have used it a few times, mostly our 2 adult boys when they have problems when coming to visit or heading home. I have been nothing short of impressed with the customer service provided by everybody associated with AAA. My son lost his truck's water pump at 2AM in the middle of nowhere outside Weed, CA. They picked him up in a timely manner dropped him off at a NAPA service center, and he was back on the road that afternoon. Even though it all sucked he said the people were so helpful and nice it made everything okay.

PS. Many thanks to the orchardist in front of whose farm we broke down. He provided us with more water to drink and asked if we would like food. What great people!
Yeah.. we're kind of like that over here in these parts :yesnod: .. well.. most of us anyway.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
FWIW spoke with AAA. Extra $36/year on top of whatever plan you have. Covers pretty much anything with wheels, bikes, RVs trailers etc.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
AAA isn't going to send anybody to centers of government to fight for motorcyclists' rights though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
275 Posts
AAA isn't going to send anybody to centers of government to fight for motorcyclists' rights though.
I agree and that's why I have both, they aren't the same!

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I too started a thread about this subject. Been with AAA for years, free maps, hotel discounts, etc... AMA sounds good , but I still have my doubts. Progressive Insurance has me covered for trip interuption, I'm thinking that I have what I need. But the Jury is still out, need to make an actual list of what I have, pros / cons..

·
Registered
900 Posts
FWIW spoke with AAA. Extra $36/year on top of whatever plan you have. Covers pretty much anything with wheels, bikes, RVs trailers etc.
Thanks for the "heads up", I'll call 'em tomorrow. AAA has always treated me fairly even when my Honda Nighthawk conked out and I "fibbed" and told AAA it was my automobile that needed a jumpstart. Fortunately, the towtruck driver figured it out when he showed up at the location I had called from and me and my bike were the only things around. Didn't make any difference to him. He was back in his truck in less than 30 seconds after giving the battery a shot of juice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts