StromTrooper banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Been a member for 10 years mostly for the Roadside Assistance they give to their members.

·
Registered
12 Posts
became a life member after 25 years about 20 years ago. i liked the last century's officers better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been a member for 13 years. It's mostly for their advocacy and lobbying (ethanol, protection from check points, etc). I thought about dropping it a while ago when $ were really tight, but then they added in the roadside assistance to the membership fees and, while I've never used it, having the peace of mind knowing it is there tipped the balance.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have been for years

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but: If insurance companies offered or required differing levels of insurance coverage based on what level of ATGATT you were wearing at the time of your accident, it would both make sense financially and be an encouragement to riders to wear appropriate gear. ATGATT riders would have excellent coverage but no-helmet riders would not have coverage for head injuries, etc. Or, if they wanted head coverage, they could pay more to ride without a helmet.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but: If insurance companies offered or required differing levels of insurance coverage based on what level of ATGATT you were wearing at the time of your accident, it would both make sense financially and be an encouragement to riders to wear appropriate gear. ATGATT riders would have excellent coverage but no-helmet riders would not have coverage for head injuries, etc. Or, if they wanted head coverage, they could pay more to ride without a helmet.
Interesting point / notion: That would make sense .. if the situation could be left at a simple level. Like everything, the devil is in the details and what-ifs. What if that required annual helmet testing or a sizing inspection? What if the government mandates that helmets prevent all head injuries by 2025? How would we feel about DOT approved boots? Mandatory air bag suits?

Currently, insurance companies are free to offer"safe driving" discounts for people who agree to place dongles in their on-board ports. That tracks with your ATGATT promise. But then what?
You are right, this topic could use a separate thread. It is interesting. One of the policy issues that the AMA is working on is autonomous vehicle operation and guarding against us getting "run over". ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
That's the problem with these groups of people, they're run by people.
Does anyone here know if the AMA has offered a statement on safe riding during the distancing deal? Just wondering if they're foreseeing any issues. Best, DD
AMA'S website has info on all the cancellations and rescheduling on account of the pandemic, as well as a position statement under press releases regarding safe practices.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Joined District 37 about 5 years ago in order to ride LAB2V (Los Angeles to Barstow to Las Vegas - a 2 day dual-sport ride from LA to Vegas). Rode LAB2V 3 years in a row on my DRZ400 which was my "return to riding" bike after 30 years of not riding. Came off hard on Day 1 in 2017. Fractured 6 ribs. Realized I was too old for that stuff, sold the DRZ and bought my DL650A. Haven't looked back although I have a brief moment of FOMO each Black Friday as I think of the 500+ riders departing Palmdale on Day 1 of the ride.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I used to be a member because it was mandatory for competition, even my very amateur competition. I recently rejoined for the roadside assistance. In my opinion the AMA is pretty ineffectual in lobbying and has a poor record officiating racing at the higher levels in motocross, supercross, enduro, and roadracing. If you look at the membership numbers, it looks like over half are mandatory members, meaning they must belong to the AMA to compete. HOG has at least twice the membership and they only represent one brand, and many HOG members are AMA members if you can believe their vest patches. And yes, the magazine is weak!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been a member or 25 years. They are the only advocate for us on a national level. Many benefits too, discounts, towing a mag that has events listed. Easy to justify membership.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts