StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all: I am looking at a TourMaster jacket. The problem is the dealer has them only in gray and my 1000K6 is red. I know the gray will be cooler than black (which goes with any color). So am I just being vain or will I look like a noob out on the roads???

I know this is stupid, but I had to ask.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here's vain and a-retentive for you -

I have a yellow helmet, and yellow and black jacket for my yellow V-Strom.
I have a silver helmet, and silver and black jacket for my blue/silver W650.

Sometimes I look at them on the gear rack side-by-side and want to kick
myself. Can't believe I did it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine is Black

I bought a Black jacket because it was the only color I could get with the warmth I needed. I got an Icon Mil Spec Vest to go over the jacket for I am warm and can been seen.

M

·
0 Posts
Anyone else think wearing a safety vest makes you look like a tool? This is a vanity thread, right?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Hi all: I am looking at a TourMaster jacket. The problem is the dealer has them only in gray and my 1000K6 is red.
Works for me. Silver and red were my high school colors. :mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Back in the 1970's, I had a black XS1100E, a Daytona Orange and Silver R90S, and a red/white/blue Can-Am. I had custom made color matched leathers for each bike. I even changed the trim color on the black bike and leathers from red to yellow at the same time. Is that vain enough for you?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Anyone else think wearing a safety vest makes you look like a tool? This is a vanity thread, right?
I wore a safety vest ONE time as a returning noob in '96. Absolutely everyone in the mountains refused to return my wave (a common biker brutha thing in these parts). Took it off and everyone started waving again.

M

·
0 Posts
I wore a safety vest ONE time as a returning noob in '96. Absolutely everyone in the mountains refused to return my wave (a common biker brutha thing in these parts). Took it off and everyone started waving again.
LOL! Phew, thought I was the only one.:p

·
Registered
110 Posts
Please, oh please ....

Don't make the mistake of thinking that your high visibility jacket makes you more visible.
If it makes a difference at all, it will be small
There is a truck load of research demonstrating quite adequately that looking at something has nothing to do with perceiving that it is there!

This has been hashed over many many times on motorcycle forums, so if you are not acquainted with the idea that looking and perception are two different thinks, please spend some time researching it.

Colour blindness, contrast ratio, lack of aspect change on an approaching target, macular degeneration, cognitive processing , all play a part in this.

Do not rely on a high vis jacket as a talisman

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't make the mistake of thinking that your high visibility jacket makes you more visible.
If it makes a difference at all, it will be small
There is a truck load of research demonstrating quite adequately that looking at something has nothing to do with perceiving that it is there!

Well, I dunno about research, but I can report from the ground that hi-vis clothing does indeed work (at least most of the time). My experience has been with using a hi-vis Darren Jacket and a Kilimanjaro in yellow & black. There is a definite difference with the lion's share of the motoring public.

I have also been in a cage about to pull out of a gas station when I spotted a glimpse of yellow in an area obstructed by a telephone pole and trees. That flash proved to a girl on a small Honda scoot meandering across the intersection.

Of course, no clothing should be thought of as being "magic". We all know cagers are out to kill us......

·
Registered
104 Posts
I too am partial to black, but I ended up with a grey/black mesh jacket and am actually starting to like it. As far as colors are concerned, I think if you get the one you want you'll care less about the color in time.

As for this:
Back in the 1970's, I had a black XS1100E, a Daytona Orange and Silver R90S, and a red/white/blue Can-Am. I had custom made color matched leathers for each bike. I even changed the trim color on the black bike and leathers from red to yellow at the same time. Is that vain enough for you?
All I can say is that you're the man! Sweet pic with the hair, mustache, and beard. Unfortunately, I'm too young to have any of those cool pics of myself in the 70's.

Rock on!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
It DOES make you look like a tool. And people can tell you are a tool from 4k away, even at dawn or dusk.

That's why I wear one. I'd rather be a live tool than a dead fool.

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I bought a Cortech GX which is made by Tour Master. They have red in them if you like the style of the GX or is it a GS. I can't remember.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Gray and Black MotoGP mesh jacket for the warm weather, Gray and Black Killamanjaro jackets for both of us for cool weather. Silver helmets.

The Strom is dark gray.

Soon...an Olympia Phantom Suit in Gray/Black.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts