StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 43,000+km on my Wee now I decided I would replace the brake pads.

I've been monitoring them since my mechanic said they had about 2,000km of wear left in them, that was at 30,000km on the speedo.

I replaced the rear pads even though they would make at least another 1000km before reaching the wear limit groove.

I pulled the front right hand pads out and they are barely half worn compared to the new ones, so I put in the new ones thinking the left hand side may be worn more; or worn unevenly.

Upon removing the left hand pads I found they were as good as the right hand ones.

I put them back in, pulled out the right hand side again and put the old ones back in there too.

Going by current wear the front pads should make it to 80,000km.

During routine servicing I will continue to monitor the wear rate.

I'm really impressed with the OEM parts so far.

The chain and sprockets are original too, looking to replace them at 50,000km but if the rear sprocket is anything to go by they may well go beyond the 50k mark by some good distance.

I love my Wee-Strom, it cost me so much less to run and maintain than my previous BMW 1150GS did. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Check out the wear on the front sprocket. It will wear out much sooner than the rear sprocket. It does sound like you don't do too much racing around.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Brakes that don't wear mean you're a good driver that looks far ahead and anticipates.

I do that too, but I enjoy braking at the limit, so my brakes wear faster than yours. I got about 30,000 kms out of my OEMs; the HH I installed a month ago are already half worn (and they don't really stop the bike any better).

I go through chains faster than tires though, and I have a ScottOiler.

I fiond my front and rear tire wear at the same rate. My front and rear brakes do too.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out the wear on the front sprocket. It will wear out much sooner than the rear sprocket. It does sound like you don't do too much racing around.
I'm expecting the front sprocket to show more wear and I will check it again next weekend [was still ok two services ago], chain is still in really good nick.

I don't exactly hang around [ a wonder I still have a licence, but I do pick my spots before I crank open the throttle, apparently age does bring some wisdom :fineprint: ].

I use engine braking and plan my moves on the road well ahead [always looking for anything and everything as far down the road as I can see, being a professional driver for decades trains you to do that].

Brakes that don't wear mean you're a good driver that looks far ahead and anticipates.

I do that too, but I enjoy braking at the limit, so my brakes wear faster than yours. I got about 30,000 kms out of my OEMs; the HH I installed a month ago are already half worn (and they don't really stop the bike any better).

I go through chains faster than tires though, and I have a ScottOiler.

I fiond my front and rear tire wear at the same rate. My front and rear brakes do too.
I find my Wee stops real good with the stock brakes and have replaced the rear with standard compound, the fronts will get the standard ones too [as I already have the pads I guess that's a given :green_lol: ].

When braking, I'm usually early and light on the brakes.
I anticipate whether I need to stop or can keep it rolling by slowing a bit earlier [truck driving tactic, always keep the rig rolling if you can], it seems I have a tendency to let the bike run through corners at slightly higher speeds.
Anyone following me who likes to run deep in to the corner and then dive hard on the brakes and crank on the throttle hard again on exit soon gets pissed off being behind me, if I'm following someone like that you would think I'm connected by a rubber band as I lose ground and then close up again [I find myself gaining quickly on the mid corner section and sometimes find I then have to drop my mid corner speed to avoid tangling up with them].

I randomly lube my chain with Nulon L90 Extreme, it's a white grease type lube in a tube- easy to carry in/on the bike and use without getting all messy.
It is designed for use on chains and other components on farm machinery and industrial equipment.
As those are harsh environments I figure it is good on the bike [and I spent quite some years working on farms].

I usually get 15,000+km out of my rear tyre and almost double that on the front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts