StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been lurking for a while, and I just purchased my first Strom (2013 | 12K miles), and am loving it! When I first purchased the bike I noticed when making turns that the front end would tend to sharply "fall" into place. I thought this could be a tire problem, as the original tires were still on the bike and VERY worn. I replaced them which helped a little, but the issue still appears to be there. My OCD has been thinking maybe the bars were bent, as they never looked even. I got out the tape measure today and sure enough, the left was 1" lower. I am thinking this is as simple as the bars being bent, correct? What handlebars do you suggest? Should I go OEM; and if so, where is the best place to purchase?

Thank you for the help!

Mark

·
Administrator
5,745 Posts
Even if the bars are bent they should not be causing a handling issue. I would first check the wheel alignment and the steering head bearings for free ply, although at 12K they should be fine.
Handlebars are a personal thing. Look at these threads. People generally swap the OEM steel bars for alloy ones - but this requires mods to refit the bar end weights. Also, when you remove the bar end weights do not completely undo the screw or you will leave parts behind in the bars. Loosen, and then wiggle and pull. It may take a while.
Are there any simply Plug&Play aftermarket handlebars?

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
My stock bars bent, too. I opted for taller bars with significantly less sweep (aka pull back): Tusk T-10.

The stock bar end bolts and nuts won't work in the new bars, so thanks to others here I picked up some new bolts (shorter length, if I recall), a flange nut, and some 1/4" fuel line. Keeps the bar end weights in place just fine.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If they are the stock steel bars and you are OK with the sweep and height, just bend them back. My guess is the high side is the one that is bent. Unless, of course, you want to replace them for other reasons.

BTW, that is a perfect photo of the bike and garage door showing the height difference.

·
Registered
292 Posts
BTW, that is a perfect photo of the bike and garage door showing the height difference.
It's an optical ilusion caused by the fact that the bike is not placed 90 deg. to the door.

The bike "falling" into a turn is most likely a steering geometry issue. Try lowering the fork tubes in the triple clamps as much as possible. Also check that the back ride height is same as stock and that the rear has not been raised.

·
Registered
302 Posts
To double Check the bars are actually bent:
Place a level across them, get them level and then measure each side to the ground.
but You probably can tell better being your at the bike then what the pictures show and not need to use a level.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I’d look at forks to ensure no twist, same exact height. Slight chance one could be tweaked if bars are bent from an impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts