StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I becoming a Black Lab, Jr. ?? I don’t know - - you be the judge. I have made many modifications to my 07 V-Strom. The latest is the removal to the useless, ugly, pregnant tank side panels. I supposed that bothered me because for 31 years I drove a Kawasaki Z-900 which, of course, is a naked bike.

Below is a photo of my new streamlined V-Strom. I was hesitant to remove the panels because I was concerned that I would destroy my “bubble of tranquility” behind the shield. But, yesterday, with temperatures in the low 50°s, I tested it from 0 to 70 mph and I was relieved to determine that I still had no wind or buffeting on my body.

I know, some of you guys will say that I made the bike uglier than ever while others will agree with me. Doesn’t matter - - the only opinion that counts in this case is mine and I like it. It also give MUCH easier access to the inside of the front cowling.

A closer look at the photo will also show that I have a home-made radiator protector for < $1. I could not justify spending $30 - $100 on a store-bought one. And, using the same rationalization, I made a fender extender for < 50¢.

The next photo shows my new Soupy’s Adjustable lowering/raising links. I have no idea what my inseam is (I’m 5’ 9” = 175.3 cm) but all I know is that I was on the balls of my both feet when I was not moving.

I decided to lower the bike by 1.25 inches. I am not concerned with bottoming out because I weight only 138 pounds, I never carry passengers unless she is a cute girl hitch hiking and I never carry more than 60 pounds of luggage plus I always have the shock pre-set to adjust if I feel the need.

Now I can flat-foot both feet simultaneously which give me great stability when stopped. I also lowered the front 1.25 inches via the front forks adjustment.

Then there is the oil filter. I decided to go with penny-tech protection and cover it with a tin can held in place by 2 neodymium magnets which serve a dual purpose - - hold the can on and filter microscopic magnetic particles from the oil. I do not know if the magnet filtering does any good since the oil plug is magnetic but it can not hurt.

Finely we have that red thing up by the side of the windshield (there is one on the other side too. That was my final solution to eliminating ALL annoying wind problems. It’s just a piece of aluminum bent to fit in that space.

It can not be seen, buy I added a fuse panel, an Eastern Beaver headlight cable so mega-amps do not run through the small wires in the switch and LED front turn signals.

So, am I a budding Black Lab, Jr. ?? Or, since the best dog I ever owned was a white toy poodle, should my V-Strom handle be “White Poodle” ??? Yes, I am secure in my masculinity.

And, as a reminder to everyone, after not using my bike for 3 1/2 months, the front tire was 9 psig low and the rear was 7 psig low.

V-Strom Tank Modification.jpg
V-Strom Soupy's Lowering Links.jpg

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Am I becoming a Black Lab, Jr. ?? I don’t know - - you be the judge. I have made many modifications to my 07 V-Strom. The latest is the removal to the useless, ugly, pregnant tank side panels. I supposed that bothered me because for 31 years I drove a Kawasaki Z-900 which, of course, is a naked bike.
I am very flattered!!!

Now, start wrapping your head around the bogus OEM headlight situation. You are off to a great start, to taking your bike to the next level. Keep Going!

B.L.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Isn't the skillful application of Rhino Liner a requirement? Black Lab has a double meaning--his dog and the experiment that is his bike!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Isn't the skillful application of Rhino Liner a requirement? Black Lab has a double meaning--his dog and the experiment that is his bike!
Barry offered to send me a couple of cans of rhinoliner for my 2012. :yikes:

Okay, okay, so I don't like the burnt orange. Rhinoliner does come in red. :biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Look northeast, near Ottawa Canada

Here is another stripped-down Strom, complete with thorough descriptions.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-specific-wee-strom/63529-dl650-adventure-model.html

I think that each significant modification tends to incorporate some of you in the motorcycle and vice versa. Perhaps it is a good thing to consider the machine to be an extension of the person, because in unity there is strength.

Over 50 years in various saddles, I have often, but not always,
felt linked to the bike I ride, and the feeling is good.

Go 4 it!

Keith

P.S. A poem I enjoy (but also dread) contains this:

... to combine
Hand and handle-bar, foot-rest and foot, as parts
Of a galloping steel-cold beast with twin hearts,
The fire in the belly of the bike and the fire in mine,
Seats of beset heat, which yet controlled
Bone intergrown with steel.

You can find the poem if you search for "To Mercury with a Crash Helmet".
It has awed me for 48 years, and you will learn why I dread it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts