StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scouring over old threads and there hasn't been much in the way of recent postings. I thought about the Givi Trekkers, but reading too much negative things reguarding the latch system.

I'm looking to upgrade to a set of top loading aluminum panniers from the Givi bags I use to have. I like the Happy-Trails Teton panniers, but I don't like the fact that the top opening is smaller than the pannier.

Any other suggestions with personal knowledge of what works well?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Moto-sport had some very nice looking boxes, but their website doesn't show them anymore...

Same manufacturer as "Dirt-bagz" but I suspect they weren't doing enough volume.

Some of the touratech models had virtually no lip...not sure about the current models.

·
Registered
79 Posts
HT Teton + Givi E46 combo

I've been using the Givi Trekker E46 as a top case and the HT Teton 9" on my Wee and they have been great. I was worried about the smaller opening on the HT's as well but haven't had any problems caused by it yet. Sleeping bags, laptop bags, groceries, freshly caught Pink Salmon -No hang ups what so ever. I've had all three cases in pretty heavy rain (45 minute freeway commute into Seattle) and there has been no leaks. The mounting system of the HT's are sturdy but not exactly "quick release." My Buell Ulyssess had the OEM Hepco bags and I really liked having the ability to detach the cases with the turn of a key when its raining and both cases are full of groceries. And yes, side-loading bags are a pain in the ass for smaller items like groceries. The stock Givi mount did NOT give me much reassurance either which is why I replaced it with an adjustable All-metal mounting system.

Some pictures from our 2-up 3-day Olympic Peninsula tour:

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
I seen it. Wondered about 'lunimum bags too. Factory bags get destroyed in a get off. Some lightweight 'lunimum bags get bashed in and destroyed too.
Caribou and Pelican reportedly are indistructable and warranteed as such.

I did like the custom seat on the Tenere'
And that style of box offers benefits over the top loading. Acesss to stuff without unloading all you gear would be a plus.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm very happy with my SW-Motech TraX EVO side cases and top case. Super rugged (as several tip-overs will attest), roomy and easy to load.

The only negative is that the locks are kind of small and fiddly for such a robust case.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I seen it. Wondered about 'lunimum bags too. Factory bags get destroyed in a get off. Some lightweight 'lunimum bags get bashed in and destroyed too.
Caribou and Pelican reportedly are indistructable and warranteed as such.

I did like the custom seat on the Tenere'
And that style of box offers benefits over the top loading. Acesss to stuff without unloading all you gear would be a plus.
I'm waiting for my russell to show up, soon I hope. pelicans are good, but they can be cracked, and they can leak, and the sun will break down the poly. Cost wise, they are the value leader.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Any experience with these panniers off of Craigslist - the guy claims to make boxes and racks. The boxes actually look really nice!

adventure bike boxes/racks

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Any experience with these panniers off of Craigslist - the guy claims to make boxes and racks. The boxes actually look really nice!

adventure bike boxes/racks
Epic Panniers the guys name is Eric. He has some nice stuff the only problem is he can be hard to get a hold of to do the deal. I tried to buy his stuff before I did the HT that I have now. He returned my calls and email 1.5 months after I put the HT on my bike. Nice stuff but you just don't know when your going get it.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
pelicans are good, but they can be cracked, and they can leak, and the sun will break down the poly.

Anyone had any experience replacing the so-called indistructible bags?

·
Registered
776 Posts
pelicans are good, but they can be cracked, and they can leak, and the sun will break down the poly.

Anyone had any experience replacing the so-called indistructible bags?
I did not replace mine cause I got mine from a pelican dealer, and I drilled 4 holes in the back, so I thought it was in the "abused" category. But Caribou says lifetime, and they deal in it as motorcycle equip.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. Will spend more money and get a set from a reputable place instead...
I tried to buy a set of those earlier in the year, but the guy is too big of a flake for me to deal with. If I lived there and could pick them up myself it would be one thing. The guy is a good fabricator, but a terrible business man.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Another option: http://www.muffintopindustries.com/

Don't have any first hand knowledge, but considered him at the time. I ended up getting some Chinese knock-offs (with inside and outside powder coat) off of eBay for $225 instead.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I seen it. Wondered about 'lunimum bags too. Factory bags get destroyed in a get off. Some lightweight 'lunimum bags get bashed in and destroyed too. //
Not Micatech (hit a deer at 40mph, still opened and closed)

Or Jesse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts