StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm lucky enough to have access to the goods to make some aluminum panniers. They will be much like the Happy Trails or Whitehorse gear panniers. I was going to tackle some mounting racks also but am considering just buying the racks. Having never actually seen panniers mounted, I'm confused as to how it is usually done.

Say, for example, I put on the SW Motech racks (I'm leaning this way). How are the panniers mounted to the racks. I've heard mention of mounting "pucks" that appear to wrap around the rack? Would these work with the Motech rack? Does any hardware come with the rack to mount the panniers? Any recommendations for the rack and mounting hardware?

Lotta questions I know. Any help would be appreciated though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
965 Posts
My Motech racks,
set-up to use Zarges panniers, (Take a look at the twisted throttle and look at their motech racks, several different mounting plates can be attached to the rack depending on the type of panniers you get.)

They have tabs (this shape U ) on the bottom the basically hold up the panniers and keep the bottom in.

At the top left and right of each rack there is a female part of a Dzus fastener, some call them cam lock, welded on. Inside the bag are the male attaching part that twist 1/4 turn to hold the bag to the bike. These tabs have a 1/4" rubber type gasket to keep the fasteners tight and water proof.

http://www.southco.com/landingpages/dzus/design-guide.aspx
mine's similar to the lion and panex type.

It's a very basic setup, but strong and quick to attach and remove.

Best pic I have of the racks....

I can take better and close-up pics if you need better explanation.

Ken

·
Registered
965 Posts
The video clears things up in that system.
I wouldn't trade the way mine are secured, for that setup though.
Nothing sticks out the back and I can have about 8 sets installed by the time you have one set installed using the puck system. YMMV

Ken

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed that the Givi PL532 racks don't have the rear cross member most others have. Has anyone had an issue with these not being sturdy enough (especially with large aluminum panniers)? My dollars and sense side of me is coming out and the Givi is quite a bit less expensive than the Happy Trails SU or the SW Motech rack.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I noticed that the Givi PL532 racks don't have the rear cross member most others have. Has anyone had an issue with these not being sturdy enough (especially with large aluminum panniers)? My dollars and sense side of me is coming out and the Givi is quite a bit less expensive than the Happy Trails SU or the SW Motech rack.
Yes they do. The photo I have that shows it best is sadly a shot of my old strom after I crashed it:

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
There are a number of mounting kits available. Micatech, who recently fitted their aluminum bags to the V-Strom using the Motech Trax racks, is also considering selling their excellent mounting system as a kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes they do. The photo I have that shows it best is sadly a shot of my old strom after I crashed it:
Now that's a sad sight right there. I see the rear cross brace now. I didn't notice it on the sights I was looking at to purchase it. Thanks for the info. Were you happy with it?...before the sad demise.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Now that's a sad sight right there. I see the rear cross brace now. I didn't notice it on the sights I was looking at to purchase it. Thanks for the info. Were you happy with it?...before the sad demise.
I liked them enough to put another set on my 09... of course that way I could still use my cases, which survived the wreck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have sw-motec racks and I just bolted the panniers straight to the racks. Doing it this way you will need to buy some bolts(6 or 8mm), large washers(to help support the weight), nuts(i used nylock), and some outdoor silicone sealer to help keep the bolt holes water proof. You can mount them this way at any angle you want. Not difficult to do and pretty sturdy. However, this is just a mounting option, use at your own discretion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts