StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

My first post.

This site reminds me of Thumper Talk! Especially the debates on what bike is best.

I don't want to start one of those. I'm thinking the smaller bike is safer due to less power, but because of where I live, I may need the Vee. Anyone from the high country with miles on both bikes?

I've got some V-Strom fever! My V Strom will be used 90% roads, dirt roads, twisties, but still some open road, occasional hwy and 2-up. I get my single track fix on my smokers:thumbup:

Glad to have stumbled on to this forum!!:hurray:

I live near Vail, CO. Most of my riding will be above a mile high and sometimes 2 miles high.

I have a YZ250 and YZ125 2 stroke. Both 2006. Raced a lot but mostly trail ride now. I'm an accomplished rider but not that many road miles.

I'm going to get a leg up on a Vee and a Wee in the next 24 hours. I like the concept of a smaller bike and that's why I have 125's. I also want to stay in one piece so less power seems safer for the most part.

Having said that, I'm in big mountains and when I get out of the mountains, there are some long flats out toward Moab for example.

Looking for some feedback from riders at altitude. I did a search but not too much jumped out at me specifically on altitude.

I can get a good deal from private parties locally. Plan on spending $4000-6000. Looking for low mile rigs.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this sounds like a "what is better thread". In a nutshell, what happens to the 650's up here on the big passes? All motors loose about 20% power.

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
I had no issues at over 10,000 feet on my heavily loaded 2006 DL650. I am sure the DL1000 would have more power reserve.

Which is better is probably best saved tfor al the 650 vs 100 debate threads.

..Tom

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Around here the 1000's seem to really hold the value, I think it's because they didn't make nearly as many of them.

Both bikes have a very high resale value though.

I'm not sure of how well this compares but I'm 275lbs and had my 650 in the adirondack mountains on the weekend. I never once wished for more power, although I did have to downshift on some hills or it would lose some steam.

I considered the 1000 but I wanted the insurance rates, fuel range and MPG over the power. It's all in what you want. I wouldn't say that either one is safer. The 650 is maybe .6 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile and about 10mph less top speed.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I live/ride in high country. Live in a valley 4,000 ft above sea level and ride mountain passes up to 10,000. Some dirt riding up to 12,000 (on a DR). Mostly ride good and bad pavement and occasional hard dirt/gravel. Don't ride much two up. I'm sure I'd be happy with either bike but I prefer the 650. All the power I need. Will do a 100+. A few pounds lighter. I think it comes down to personal preference. Some may prefer/need a few more horsepower. Me I'm good.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/20341-650-vs-1000-definitive-thread.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses.

One of the reasons I got going on a road bike is because of the fun factor, but also tired of putting gas in my Tundra!

So cost is a motivating factor but not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Either one will be a big improvement over the Tundra for mpg! My Wee is much better on gas than my Taco which is why that sits most of the summer unless I'm going fishing in the canoe.

mikeg

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
First year I had my used 650, the dealer did a service with throttle body sync. The bike had been bogging a bit at altitude when I bought it. Anyway, after the service, I left for a two week trip fairly loaded and was climbing the east slope of Monarch Pass in 5th gear and it was pulling great. I was impressed.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I used to live at 3,500 feet and rode regularly between 5,500-6,300 feet. I could feel the loss at that extra altitude on every bike I rode.....DL1000, Versys 650, Yamaha FZ1, etc. Whether carb or EFI equipped, they were all too rich at the higher altitude and would require a rejet or EFI tuning to pull fuel out to match the reduced amount of air available. The worst was the Versys 650, only having 60hp on hand and taking a loss was really bad, to me, the bike was near useless. The FZ1 with 123hp at the rear wheel was the best, it seemed to be affected the least and figures, it had good old fashioned carbs.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm a Colorado Native. The fuel injection and computer controls does a lot to compensate for density altitude. Won't completely do it,but.........
Without getting into the theory of why, you will find the Wee very capable at high altitude. If you really want the extra zip of a ltr bike then go for the big Vee. But I find the Wee has plenty to do what you need. The difference comes under the heading of "never enough".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the responses.

I have yet to get a leg up on a wee but rode a vee. Obviously it's a blast, but I can buy it at what seems to be a steal.

5600 miles, 2005 for $4000. Looks and runs great.

It felt a little tall in the gearing at low speeds. Kind of jerky and abrupt. I'm guessing the 650 is smoother down there. It was kind of a tank in some slightly rutted dirt roads, but I got to ride it for about 3 hours :hurray: which was a blast. Took my son for a spin around town, went on the hwy. and hit some twisties. Big grin. I'm guessing at that price I can't go wrong but looking for feedback.

I almost went with a 950 Adventurer at close to double that price but not sure I want to get in that deep.

I'd still like to get a leg up on a wee. There is a 2009 with 2700 miles. He is asking $6000, but if I could get him to $5000, thats an option.
I may test it today.

Thanks again for the info!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I live at 7300 feet and go up from there, so Vee is really called for. If I was closer to sea level I would look long and hard at a Wee. The Vee is a little scary the one time I had it in the lowlands.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Also a CO native. Rode my 2011 650 2-up A LOT last summer all around Durango and Telluride. Was never at a lost for power--amazing. Even flew right up to triple digits on the straights between curves.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Altitude and HP

We live at 8100 feet in Estes Park. I've read that for every 1,000 ft altitude gain you lose approximately 3% of your horsepower. So I am down approximately 24% HP with my 2012 650, from sea level.

I ride with a V and a GS1200 and really don't have much of a problem. There have been a few times that I wished I had more horses, but I think that's true for most folks (except maybe the Ducati owners). Where we live it's more about the twisties, that's why I bought the bike.

I also used to ride/amateur race YZ's and 125 Suzuki's for years, I share your love for the lighter bikes. I might warn you that I too didn't have a lot of road miles on me when I bought the Glee. There was and still is a fairly steep learning curve in mastering this wonderful ride, especially if your height challenged like me (29" inseam).

Again, happy with the 650 at altitude.

Best/RR

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the wee best just rode it.
Can get it for $5000
Under 3000 miles and its perfect.
2009 and burnt orange which is growing on me.
Any thought? Seems like a deal.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Can get it for $5000
My only question is this. It's not in your garage yet? :mrgreen:

Go for it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

One word of advice.... your years of experience off road WILL come in handy someday on the street. But since you are new to the street, the 'rules' out here are somewhat different from the dirt. But you should know that. ;-)

Get good gear, wear it all the time, make sure you KNOW you have a target painted on you and everyone, everyone, has a free shot to take at you. Ride aware ALL the time.

Enjoy that DL650!

Cheers!

Pat

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Sounds like a really decent deal

Can get it for $5000
The 09 is a great bike. The 2012 fixed some of the older style small issues. Stuff like buffeting from the lower front. I didn't think it would be, but ABS is really important to me now. Gives me a ton of confidence to hard brake during freak-out moments. ABS wasn't an option until, I believe 2011.

Be careful, the first 6 months is said to be the most dangerous period.

Best/RR

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again!

The orange will make me stand out more too. What is some affordable road gear? Got all the MX/ woods stuff but not gonna do it.

Just felt more at home on the wee. Plenty of power, could man handle better, and even though they both kinda are very soso on the dirt, I felt more confident, safer and in control on the wee.

Again, thats what the YZ's are for!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts