Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing a recent article about charging and electrical load and how the strom stacked up against other machines, how about a larger output alternator/charging system with upgrade for current/ older models.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Roger that Houston. Hey Suzuki, here's one easy way to make this excellent machine a real world bike. Stick a 500 watt alternator in there. Quick screwing around with this paltry 350-400 watt junk. Do this and feel good that the bike is finally complete.

Jeff Adams, Intervale NH

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dear suzuki,

don't take as long to upgrade your alternator as Honda did with the ST1100. These Vstroms are too good for too many miles to be limited in power.

John <---Farkles...I want Farkles. ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a big ten-four! More wattage would be a good thing!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
There is a finite amount of space in there. The present stuff available is already pushing the envelope. The alternative would be an external device and driving one would be a complex project with a low demand. A small percentage of owners would need it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
+1 on the Alternator

650W for the Wee, 1000W for the Vee.

Sorta Works dunnit?

Then you can just sit back and forget about it forever. Problem solved move onto the 800cc VVT v-twin with 800W.

Cheers
Graham

·
38,049 Posts
Is there any way to "pump up" the OEM alternator ?
Not reliably. The Electrosport stator has more output at higher rpms but less at idle and is often short lived. In fact, the OEM stator has been known to fry itself occasionally.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Nah!

There is a finite amount of space in there. The present stuff available is already pushing the envelope. The alternative would be an external device and driving one would be a complex project with a low demand. A small percentage of owners would need it.
The demand might be low but my design for an externally driven alternator is far from complex requiring relatively few parts. Aside from the alternator, its drive belt and guard there are just three. Still in the planning and consulting stage at the moment but the more I look at it the more I'm convinced it can and should be done, if for nothing more than personal satisfaction. Better mousetrap hunters can beat their way to my door later.

·
38,049 Posts
The demand might be low but my design for an externally driven alternator is far from complex requiring relatively few parts.
How are you driving it? Something driven off the chain will have a relatively low output in lower gears unless pulleys or gears are used to increase the speed. The crankshaft is okay but a camshaft is the best source. External stuff involves weather problems and internal stuff means seals. Good luck keeping it simple, effective and long lasting.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Shushhhhh...

How are you driving it? Something driven off the chain will have a relatively low output in lower gears unless pulleys or gears are used to increase the speed. The crankshaft is okay but a camshaft is the best source. External stuff involves weather problems and internal stuff means seals. Good luck keeping it simple, effective and long lasting.
Not sayin' a thing till it works well enough for me to be confident in its reproduction which may be awhile due to a long spate of unemployment (soon to be rectified). Excuse the pun.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The demand might be low but my design for an externally driven alternator is far from complex requiring relatively few parts. Aside from the alternator, its drive belt and guard there are just three. Still in the planning and consulting stage at the moment but the more I look at it the more I'm convinced it can and should be done, if for nothing more than personal satisfaction. Better mousetrap hunters can beat their way to my door later.
That's Excellent jstrom!

I always encourage those who use their ingenuity to improve/solve issues and don't let anyone or any system try to talk you out of it. If you've come up with a way to increase the available power without adding a huge amount of overhead, kudo's to you! It sounds like if you plan and design it carefully, you might be able to apply it to other bikes as well increasing your market by quite a bit!

Good Luck!

jeff

·
Registered
984 Posts
Nah!

The idea isn't new, just the application. People have been strapping more efficient alternators to bikes forever. Noe if I can just figure out where to put that supercharger.....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts