StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the background.

I have an '07 Wee and bike has been great. I installed a pair of driving lights (35W), an LED license plate frame that doubles as a driving light and extra brake light and a GIVI topcase with the built in LED lights wired into the tail lights last Friday. I drove home 20 miles with all lights on, my Gerbing's jacket liner plugged in and all items worked fine.

The bike sat for two days with all power off.

I went for a ride today (no Gerbing's) and the bike started right up. Road about 40 miles, turned the bike off and when I went to start it -- almost no juice. I push started it. All lights working and bright. Rode 40 miles back and stopped the bike. No Juice to restart it. With the key on and engine off, all the lights work fine.

Any experience with this? Any suggestions appreciated?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The jacket liner draws 70 watts and the lights draw another 70. The bike only has a bit over 100 extra watts so you drained the battery. Don't worry about the LEDs. The power they draw is incidental.

Get yourself a voltmeter so you can monitor the battery voltage. If it drops below 12.6- 12.8V, you're gonna drain the thing, as you found out. (and as I found out a few years ago)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
i forgot to mention

some people have set up a switch so in the day time you run only one headlight . this gives you the extra juice the vest requires . on my 2007 i have just the extra givi lights in the top box . when i put the brake lights on at idle i can hear the extra draw from something on the bike .

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
You can get a single headlight cutout from Eastern Beaver;
http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/body_vstrom.html#lobeamcut

Jim Davis is "one of us;" a Stromtrooper & bike guy. The service is usually better than any US company, his products for the Strom are plug 'n play and absolutely top quality.

YES - Get a voltmeter before doing anything else! Jim has them, and so does Aerostitch. Monitor your juice...

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Best to Ask?

What's the wattage left on a "normal" 2006 Wee Strom? I have only a Kisan (I think taillight modulator. Thoughts?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The 2002 DL1000 has a 350W total output @ 5000rpm. All other years have 400W. The DL650 has 375W from 2004 up to and including 2007. 2008 and later 650s have 400W. It seems to take about 250-275W to run a stock bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts