StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to stick with a similar plug n play option with out splicing or cutting factory wires.
I know Eastern Beaver has quality products but at $39 for 1 connector with shipping may have to splice the factory wires and save some cash.
Not finding Suzuki specific options online.

·
Registered
46 Posts
EB was the only one I found online that was ready to go "plug and play".

I also thought it was a bit costly with shipping, but I bit the bullet and ordered both the plug for the brake light, and the plug for the turn signals - the quality was very evident as soon as I closely examined them - used them a couple of weeks ago to install my Skene Photon Blasters and rear LED brake modules on my '18 DL1000XT, and for me, at least, they were MORE than worth the coin.

Made install much quicker and CLEANER, and I didn't have to struggle to try to get to and expose the correct wires that are tucked way in the back section of the bike.

I put an Admore light bar and Skene Photon Blasters on my Bandit 1250S last year, and it was a lot more work to identify and tap into the actual bike wires, and despite my best efforts, it still looks quite a bit messier.

Two thumbs up for Eastern Beaver.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Looking to stick with a similar plug n play option with out splicing or cutting factory wires.
I know Eastern Beaver has quality products but at $39 for 1 connector with shipping may have to splice the factory wires and save some cash.
There's no free lunch. EB uses Japanese parts, apparently the same parts that Suzuki buys and uses. Their construction quality is outstanding, and they cost roughly the same as I'd expect to pay for a similar product made and sold by Suzuki.

Yes, there's lots of cheap stuff out there. Most of it is crap, and much of it is counterfeit.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've had great luck with these guys.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link Bentwee maybe a build my own with the components.
I dont mind the $25 or so for the product, its the $14 shipping that bothers me for such a small piece, but no real options with oversea shipping.
Or just get the heated grip plug wires to go with it. Probably same shipping cost.

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Find a wiring diagram of your bike to learn the color of the wires needed. Then use a couple Posi-Taps. They just pierce a small hole in the wire and are easy to use.

·
Registered
07DL1K
236 Posts
I've had great luck with these guys.
Cycle terminal is absolutely excellent! I think it was actually less $ than EB for the same stuff and cheaper quicker shipping too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Find a wiring diagram of your bike to learn the color of the wires needed. Then use a couple Posi-Taps. They just pierce a small hole in the wire and are easy to use.
Positaps on a motorcycle sound like a bad idea. Far more vibration than a car, and don't always produce a fantastic connection. I've had a few fall off in my time too.

You may have luck in finding the connectors online from the usual sources, however, you then need to source the correct crimping tool for them too. If there are multiple connectors, there may be multiple crimping tools required!

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Posi-Taps require no tools. Had them on my 05 650 for over 100K without a problem(Recommended by EB). Over 60 K now on my 18 1000 since install.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,778 Posts
Posi-Taps will work. I had several pulling power from the tail lights on my 2007 Vee, for 4+ years and many thousands of miles.

The problem I did have was that Posi-Taps are relatively bulky, and there was no slack in the factory wiring. Could not get all 5 Posi-Taps in place. I spliced in more wire, extending the factory harness so that I had enough room for the Posi-Taps, plus enough slack to get them connected. I was hooking up a couple LED repeater bars for brake & tail lights. There's a thread about it here somewhere.

I didn't know about Eastern Beaver at the time I was doing the above, or I would have avoided all that. I would have bought EB's brake and taillight tap/harness extender product, plugged stuff in, and been done with it.

This is exactly what I did, when I wanted to power the brake light repeater in my top case, on the new-to-me 2019 Wee3.

2017+ DL650 tail light wiring isn't too different from that of the 2007 DL1000. Almost no slack to work with.

Sure, you can order the correct terminals from Cycle Terminal & make your own EB-style adapter. You'll still pay for shipping, and will need a proper crimp tool to do it right. There goes your savings vs. ordering the EB adapter. You might even wind up spending more.

I suppose what I'm saying is, you may technically save a few $ DIY-ing an alternative to the EB product, but you'll pay for it in inconvenience and your labor.

Up to you whether that's a worthwhile tradeoff. I know it wouldn't be for me.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Positaps <snip> I've had a few fall off in my time too.
That's the first I've heard of an issue with positaps / posilocks. Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing...you're talking these (or same product, different size)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts