StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all my parts are back from the powdercoaters since the attempted theft.

I am reinstalling the oem grips but don't really want to go out and buy grip glue when I have numerous types of silicones and gasket makers handy.

Could I just use what I got?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I found that not all hair sprays work the same. Use a brand that your grand mother may have used back in the day. Test it by spraying a little on your fingers and see if they start to stick pretty good.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have used rubbing alcohol on many bikes and many types of grips over many years. It has always been a cheap, neat, easy, fuss-and-residue-free way to both remove and securely install grips. But I get so tired of recommending it that I'm not going to do it here.

I'm surprised so many of you have hair spray in your toolbox. Have you ever tried using your lip gloss?:green_lol:

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I've used hair spray for years, with excellent results and not one slip in thousands of miles of horrible weather.

The secret is to get the cheapest stuff you can find. A big can of extra-extra-extra-super-super-hold-hair-helmet-bonder is about 79 cents. Maybe 99 cents in the big city.

The more expensive hair sprays are easier to wash out at the end of the day, and contain additives to make them less damaging to hair.

The cheap stuff is far less water soluble and lasts forever. Bad for hair, but great for grips.

While we're on the subject of raiding the cosmetics section for the tool box, nail polish makes excellent marking paint for cam chains and sprockets and other operations where you need to distinctively mark something. Also less than a buck on sale, and it even comes with a built-in precision brush. :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent feed back on the hairspray. The problem I have since I removed the oem grips is they just slip right back on with no tension. I probably streched them a little but I am afraid if any moistures gets in the hairspray will just release. For what its worth I think a will just smear a little silicone in there.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CB500X, 2020 Kawasaki Verseys X300
298 Posts
I don't know it it applies in your case but if you have a loose fitting grip you can solve the problem by putting a very thin, barely overlapped wrap of electrical tape on the grip first. Then spray the inside of the grip with WD40 and slip it on. It has to then sit for 24 hours undisturbed and it should never move again.
For normal grips I've always used hairspray also.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't know it it applies in your case but if you have a loose fitting grip you can solve the problem by putting a very thin, barely overlapped wrap of electrical tape on the grip first. Then spray the inside of the grip with WD40 and slip it on. It has to then sit for 24 hours undisturbed and it should never move again.
For normal grips I've always used hairspray also.
Actually, what some of us do in the dirt bike world is use double sided ele. tape. Wrap the area of the bar or throttle tube that will receive the grip and just before sliding it on spray the tape with carb cleaner. Slide the grip over the tape while it is slick form the spray. You may even be able to use hair spray but personally never tried it on tape.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
Just remembered one trick I used a long time ago. I have a long needle tip for my air gun and used compressed air to "fluff" the grip on. Just clean metal tube and a clean rubber grip. They went right on with a little pressure. They would come undone the same way but always held unless really disturbed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm surprised so many of you have hair spray in your toolbox. Have you ever tried using your lip gloss?:green_lol:

Keep the Aqua Net in the tool box to spray on chalk lines when marking a floor, keeps em from "disapearing". And of couse installing grips. Allways wired dirt bike grips though probably wasnt necesary.
I use Bel-Ray waterproof bearing grease for lip gloss, gives a nice blue hue and keeps you from licking your lips.:biggrinjester:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.