StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the 600 mile service (acutally around 734 miles :mrgreen:) and I put a Fram PH6018 filter on and it fits. It was for my SV 1000 S. Is it the right one?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's the correct Fram filter. Both bikes, in fact, just about all Suzukis with can filters have the same requirements for a long time. Many people don't like Fram. The inner materials leave something to be desired. On the other hand, there is a DL1000 out there with well over 200,000 miles using Fram oil filters.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
also HifloFiltro, WIX, K&N, Purolator oil filters.

·
38,103 Posts
Rather than dribble them in:

oil filters
AMSOil SMF 109
Baldwin B7419
Bike Master 314-0025
Champion PH7016
Cycle Power 314-1919
Emgo 10-55662
Emgo 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138 <-- Recommended
J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
K&N 138 <-- Recommended
NAPA Gold 1359 (at UAP/NAPA) <-- Recommended
WIX 51359 (at UAP/NAPA) <-- Recommended
Parts Unlimited
Per-Form J-509
ProPart 01-0029
Purolator ML16818 <-- Recommended
STP SMO-18
Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07 <-- Recommended
VESRAH vsf-3009

Recommended means John Weldon cut it apart and liked what he saw. He has not checked all makes.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cut the original filter open, didn't see much in the filter media at all. Probably could have gone 3000 miles. Oil looked good too.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
I will run the OEM filter. I don't shave nickels when it comes to maintaining my bikes. Just personal preference, and I have never had an issue with OEM filters in 40 years of owning my scoots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I always had good luck with the K&N filters on my bikes. Plus, the nut built into them makes it very easy to safety wire (I safety wire all of my bikes).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I always had good luck with the K&N filters on my bikes. Plus, the nut built into them makes it very easy to safety wire (I safety wire all of my bikes).
Another thought: Maybe it is a good idea to use the oem filter while you are under warranty...if you have an engine issue they may try to blame the will-fit oil filter for the problem........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another thought: Maybe it is a good idea to use the oem filter while you are under warranty...if you have an engine issue they may try to blame the will-fit oil filter for the problem........
I agree as well, if you have a oiling issue Suzuki could say it was the aftermarket filter and not cover you under the MFG. warranty. the New Suzuki Filter is #16510-07J00 this replaces the 16510-03G00-X07.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree as well, if you have a oiling issue Suzuki could say it was the aftermarket filter and not cover you under the MFG. warranty. the New Suzuki Filter is #16510-07J00 this replaces the 16510-03G00-X07.
Interesting that the filter number has changed?...possible that the current will-fit list could be suspect?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:confused:

I've never had a failure with aftermarket filters. Now you guys got me thinking...

If it does fail, and suzuki says you used the wrong filter, I will be the first to report it. Could I go after Fram?

·
38,103 Posts
It's time for USA owners to check the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. The new number is probably about a new supplier. The fit is unchanged.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's time for USA owners to check the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. The new number is probably about a new supplier. The fit is unchanged.
+1....You don't want to give them the answer Grey Wolf? This applies for autos too guys if you don't know what it is.

·
38,103 Posts
It's better to teach a man to fish.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went for a 75 mile ride with the "questionable" oil filter. Engine didn't explode so. So far so good. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
113 Posts
summary of Magnusen-Moss

Here'a one summary for those interested:
Magnuson-Moss

Check the section beginning: "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty."

Found K&N 138 filters on Amazon for $10.54. Works for me and having used K&N in the past I'd have to guess as good or likely better than OEM.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Magnuson-Moss says that you don't need to use factory branded stuff, but you still need to use stuff that meets factory spec. You don't need Suzuki brand oil, and they list the necessary spec so you can buy from any source that meets that spec.

The engine makers do not list the specs for the oil filter. All aftermarket filter makers reverse engineer the OEM filters. Some may have another filter in their catalog that they think is close enough, so that's the one they recommend. If any aftermarket filter that was recommended in the filter maker's catalog for that engine causes damage, the filter maker is responsible for the repairs, not the engine maker. If anyone uses a filter that is not recommended for that engine and it causes damage, the engine owner pays.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fram Filter PH6018

I've been using Fram filters for many years in all my bikes [got five in my fleet]. I get them at the local Walmart. The last were $6.95 a coupe of weeks ago. I've never had any problems with any of my bikes having any oil related problems,ever. I change oil and filter at 5000 miles. I'm having a new clutch basket put in my 2002 Strom 1000 with 31000 miles, the mechanic told me it didn't need the clutches replaced, just the basket. I told him to replace the clutches anyway, just for peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts