Strom Trooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently returned from a 10 ride in the Alps. I can't emphasize enough what a great experience it is to ride there. This was my 6th trip back to Europe and my 3rd to the Alps. We started and ended in Munich (even got in an evening at Oktoberfest!). We rode Germany, Austria, Lichenstein, Switzerland, Italy, and Slovenia. The weather was colder than previous trips at the same time of year. We encountered snow at the top of virtually all the passes but only got blocked once. The rest of the time the roads were bare and wet at the top. It was helpful to have heated/waterproof gear for some of the days but for the majority, you simply could layer up and it was fine.

Here is a link to my tracker. You may have to go up the the trip on the top tool bar and adjust the fill to "all" to get a better idea. I forgot to turn it on when we left Munich until lunchtime and also when we rode from Lichenstein to Andermatt. That day we rode the Klausen, Susten, Grimsel, Furka (only to the top), Nufenen, and St Gottard passes. All in all, over the 10 days, we rode between 40 and 50 passes.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1620859a640bc98d13

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Awesome ride! I loved riding the Alps. It is motorcyclists dream. Can't wait to get back there someday.

My avatar, like yours, is a pic from one of my rides up Stelvio.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did you rent a bike? What were the costs of that?
Yes, we rented bikes. I rented a 800GS with topbox, sidebags, and tank bag. I also took the cancellation insurance and insurance to pay down the deductible . All told, it cost me about $110USD/day for the 10 days. That gave us 3500kms free as well.

I find renting is better than shipping my own bike over if going for
less than a month. Although, I am seriously considering buying a good used bike (Wee?) and leaving it with my friend in Spain.

We rented from these guys. They are a very professional outfit. Best I have used over there.

BIKE & TRAVEL SERVICE - BMW Motorradvermietung

If you go to the site, you can tailor your rental and see how much it costs. eg. bike, luggage, etc.
One of their best features is cancellation insurance you can buy for $20.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Looking at the website, you got some serious rebates!

Did you plan the trip yourself or was it a guided tour?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We did not use a tour guide. Planned things ourselves. Yes, I do have a hotel list.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I have a European former school mate, and I've visited 4 times in the last two and a half years. This summer was the first crossing of the Alps, so I can relate to your photos. My friend does not ride, but I've considered a solo trip and then meeting up with him later. There are so many good back roads all over, not just in the Alps. Of course, the scenery might not be as good. Maybe one day...

Question. Not sure how fast a rider you are, but did you ever feel pushed by local traffic on the passes?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Question. Not sure how fast a rider you are, but did you ever feel pushed by local traffic on the passes?
I guess I have never been accused of riding too slow>:). I tend to ride pretty fast but never felt uncomfortable doing so. Drivers over there, by and large, expect bikes to pass them in places where you would not consider here. They actually make room for you to do it. Overall, traffic was not much of an issue on the passes.

A bit of an anecdote regarding "local" drivers. We came up to the turnoff to the Hochenjoch pass north of Imst, Austria. Just as we arrived at the junction, a green Ford transit van turned off and headed up the pass. I though...Great.....now we have to get by this guy. Could not catch him!!! Eventually caught a glimpse of him pulling off into a little village ahead. A bit humbling to say the least.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I guess I have never been accused of riding too slow>:). I tend to ride pretty fast but never felt uncomfortable doing so. Drivers over there, by and large, expect bikes to pass them in places where you would not consider here. They actually make room for you to do it. Overall, traffic was not much of an issue on the passes.

A bit of an anecdote regarding "local" drivers. We came up to the turnoff to the Hochenjoch pass north of Imst, Austria. Just as we arrived at the junction, a green Ford transit van turned off and headed up the pass. I though...Great.....now we have to get by this guy. Could not catch him!!! Eventually caught a glimpse of him pulling off into a little village ahead. A bit humbling to say the least.
Well I guess he would be an example of what I was wondering about if he were behind you! But possibly, he'd get that van past average riders unfamiliar with the road.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I guess he would be an example of what I was wondering about if he were behind you! But possibly, he'd get that van past average riders unfamiliar with the road.
If a local came up behind me, I would immediately do whatever to let them by, be it a bike or a 4 wheeler. It didn't happen often, but when it did, it never seemed to be an issue. They are that much better drivers over there than here. I feel 10X safer riding there than here. Faster drivers there seem to just get on with it and slower drivers let them.

You really have to experience it to understand. Cars, buses, bikes. All sharing the road and everyone just seems to know what to do and when to do it. I chuckle at how crossing over a double yellow here causes such angst. Many of the mountain roads there have no lines what so ever. Doesn't seem to be an issue. Check out the attached picture. Now imagine passing traffic, meeting buses, etc on that road. Really not an issue since people pay attention to what they are doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I remember being in Rome with my friend and seeing guys on scooters split traffic around buses and cars in the city. I commented about it and he said if I lived there, I could possibly teach riding. I just laughed and said there's no way I could possibly teach them Italians anything about riding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts