StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here wear Alpinestars Toucans? How are they in the heat?

Those, and Sidi Adventure 2's, are my leading candidates so far. But I live in the desert, and I don't want very sweaty feet 2/3 of the year. Some reviewers have found the Toucans very hot.

Why did this come up? I want a boot that offers increased protection, and ankle stabilization vs. my old boots (Alpinestars Roam 2 WP's). They are getting quite worn out. One is no longer waterproof, for example.

I never had an issue with the Roam 2 WP's being too hot, which surprised me a little given their waterproofness, but there you are.

I've looked at no-kidding MX boots, but I don't think they'll work for me. Most of them aren't waterproof, you can't walk in them, they weigh a ton, etc.

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
TCX Infinity EVO.....best boots I've ever owned, and they can be used for almost any kind of riding. Tall like an adventure boot, light, comfy, very waterproof, great protection.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-infinity-evo-gore-tex-boots?rrec=true

Well bummer, see they are on closeout.....why would TCX stop making the best IMHO boot they have EVER made!!!! Maybe this is a new model, could be more what you are looking for?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-baja-gore-tex-boots?rrec=true

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
TCX Infinity EVO.....best boots I've ever owned, and they can be used for almost any kind of riding. Tall like an adventure boot, light, comfy, very waterproof, great protection.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-infinity-evo-gore-tex-boots?rrec=true

Well bummer, see they are on closeout.....why would TCX stop making the best IMHO boot they have EVER made!!!!
I saw these on closeout and was going to buy a pair. Unfortunately when boots or shoes go on closeout, the only things left are the ones that fit Sasquatch or leprechauns. Those of us with feet in the 10 1/2 to 11 size end up paying full retail. C'est la vie.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The Toucan and the Sidi Adv 2 were leading contenders in my search. Landed on the Forma Terra and have been very happy with them. I live in a very different climate though. Still, my trips have included 1000 mile days in 100+ heat. And my feet were not where the heat bothered me most.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was looking at the Forma Terra Evo but a fellow over on advrider had not only his initial pair, but also the warranty replacement pair, fall apart in the same way:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/forma-terra-evo-failed-ankle-brace.1350423/

This does not inspire confidence in the design.

Lot of folks there are all about the armored MX boots, with the Sidi Crossfire 3's a recent darling but I don't think I could live with them.

I also can't stomach paying $500 for boots that aren't even waterproof. Wearing waterproof socks (regardless of price) does not look like a real solution.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also had the Roam 2 waterproof boot. They didnt stay waterproof for more than a year and Alpinestar neglected to respond to any correspondance I sent.

I now have the Sidi. So far they are 100% waterproof and very comfortable.

Since I bought them in November, and the Ohio weather has been anything but hot, I have no idea how cool they will be.

My thought is a good pair of performance socks kept me comfortable in the winter. So I expect a good pair will help keep my feet comfortable in the summer too.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Do your Sidi Adventure 2's squeak? Seems a common complaint. Not sure how much I'd hear it since I ride with earplugs, and am not planning on multi mile hikes in them.

For socks I have several sets of Smartwool and similar. Good stuff at all temps.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mine are pre Evo. I was unaware of the newer version. Hinged ankle sounds good (I've already got all the fancy titanium upgrades I want in my right ankle), but not if they don't hold up. Too bad. It is, or was, a good boot. Hopefully they'll remedy the issue.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I ride in heat in Australia and have been happy with these

https://rypusa.com/gaerne-gore-tex-boots/

Make sure you get the Goretex version. I did not and now have one leaky boot.

They look good and slimmer toe than full MX boots.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Here is a video from Revzila. This is the ICON DKR boot. I'm on my third season with them and still a big fan. I even did a low-side with them. Medium speed, engine on foot, only shined up the buckle. No injury.No need to replace. I've never noticed my feet being either hot or cold, in the desert or the Rockies.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
227 Posts
Do your Sidi Adventure 2's squeak? Seems a common complaint. Not sure how much I'd hear it since I ride with earplugs, and am not planning on multi mile hikes in them.

For socks I have several sets of Smartwool and similar. Good stuff at all temps.
Yep, they squeak. A shot of lube on the hinges will solve the issue for a month or so, depending on how much water I ride through.

I use Smatwool socks as well. Went to buy a couple pair at Dicks Sporting Good. They rang up $5.00 a pair, so I cleaned them out. Got 6 pair for less than I planned on paying for 2.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also had the Roam 2 waterproof boot. They didnt stay waterproof for more than a year and Alpinestar neglected to respond to any correspondance I sent.

I now have the Sidi. So far they are 100% waterproof and very comfortable.

Since I bought them in November, and the Ohio weather has been anything but hot, I have no idea how cool they will be.

My thought is a good pair of performance socks kept me comfortable in the winter. So I expect a good pair will help keep my feet comfortable in the summer too.
That's a shame. I don't get really good vibes about Alpinestars customer service - at least not if you need to deal with them directly, vs. through a vendor.

I live in the desert and try not to get caught out during monsoon season, so I never rode in them through a heavy rainstorm until almost 2 years of owning the Roam 2 WP's. My left toes were soggy when I got home. Looking at the boots, I think it's due to wear on the toe area - the layers have separated a little and so are leaky.

I tried patching them with Shoe Goo, but that didn't stay on for very long.

Just for kicks, I got a quote from MX Boot Repair. It was going to cost just a few $ shy of a new pair to get the Roam 2's re-built (albeit with better, Vibram soles), so I won't bother.

I appreciate the recommendations, though unfortunately two of the boots recommended so far (TCX Infinity Evo and Icon Raiden DKR) have been discontinued.

So far the likely contender is the Sidi Adventure 2's. There are some things I don't like about them, but I suppose it's always going to be a compromise.

I think I would really like the Forma Adventures, but they just don't have enough lateral ankle protection. :/

·
Registered
347 Posts
Lot of folks there are all about the armored MX boots, with the Sidi Crossfire 3's a recent darling but I don't think I could live with them.

I also can't stomach paying $500 for boots that aren't even waterproof. Wearing waterproof socks (regardless of price) does not look like a real solution.
I don't like my crossfire TA for the street they are a big heavy boot. But for off road they are awesome.

As for waterproof, I loath "waterproof boots" they never are, or they never stay that way. I would much rather have a pair of no membrane boots and wear gore socks when I need too vs having hot damp foot all of the time because the waterproof boots leak or are sweat boxes in the heat.

But then I ride in the southwest and I don't head out on a ride if there's a threat of rain, unless I am on a tour or something.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't like my crossfire TA for the street they are a big heavy boot. But for off road they are awesome.

As for waterproof, I loath "waterproof boots" they never are, or they never stay that way. I would much rather have a pair of no membrane boots and wear gore socks when I need too vs having hot damp foot all of the time because the waterproof boots leak or are sweat boxes in the heat.

But then I ride in the southwest and I don't head out on a ride if there's a threat of rain, unless I am on a tour or something.
I also live in the Southwest, so your input is especially useful.

I've never felt uncomfortable in the Roam 2 WP's, despite built-in waterproofing, but I may not know what I'm missing.

I do know I was roasting my ass off in my old jacket. It had built-in waterproofing, so was a sauna from late spring to early fall. New jacket has an installable waterproofing liner, for when it's needed.

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts

I'll argue that point, as both my TCX Gore-Tex and AlpineStars Web Gore-Tex boots have both been thoroughly tested and remain fully water proof. My Web Gore-Tex boots are probably 10 years old by the way, but yeah I do keep the leather on my boots clean and nourished with mink oil. I don't find either boot to be hot either, as your feet breathe in Gore-Tex membranes. :fineprint:

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
I also live in the Southwest, so your input is especially useful.

I've never felt uncomfortable in the Roam 2 WP's, despite built-in waterproofing, but I may not know what I'm missing.

I do know I was roasting my ass off in my old jacket. It had built-in waterproofing, so was a sauna from late spring to early fall. New jacket has an installable waterproofing liner, for when it's needed.
My Darien light jacket is bonded Gore-Tex and flows incredible amounts of air and breathability, matter of fact when it's cool/cold outside I have to really layer up.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I have the Toucan's and was told that all Gore-Tex boots will be hot, I did not find that to be the case and find the Toucan's to be very comfortable and no hotter than my MX & my Forma boots.

My original Toucan's leaked water into the right boot, I returned them to the place of purchase, they told me they would need to send them back to the manufacturer for assessment, when I explained I had nothing to gain by complaining and I did not want a refund, just a replacement pair of boots they made a phone call and handed over a new pair there and then, the replacement boots have been perfect in everyway.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My Darien light jacket is bonded Gore-Tex and flows incredible amounts of air and breathability, matter of fact when it's cool/cold outside I have to really layer up.
It does depend, and there seems to be a substantial difference in airflow between actual Gore-Tex, vs. lower-priced alternatives.

Without writing a novel...two garments used something called "Rainguard" and were terrible, absolute sweatsuits for 6 months of the year. My Aerostich AD-1's have baked-in Gore-Tex and are super duper comfy, even in triple-digit heat.

This is why I think it's more complicated than simply "waterproof boots = too hot". It seems to depend greatly on the waterproofing used.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I discovered by riding without shoes that on my V2 I can keep my feet cooler by placing my feet about 2" out from the motor with the right side being a lot hotter than the left.

Of course when it is cold I do the opposite.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts