StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha from Kohala on the Big Island of Hawaii!
I just Ordered a 2012 DL650 Std. in orange and should take delivery in a few days. My last ride was a DR650 and although it was (is) a great bike but i realized i rode mostly street. The DR is light at 330lbs so wind was a major issue and the air cooled thumper was not smooth enough for long distance rides IMO. I also was tired of dealing with a carb. After tons of research focusing mainly on reliability i settled on the Vstrom. i remember reading one post which referred to Vstrom valves as "immortal". i started lurking here and decided the brand new DL650 was the new bike for me. With my DR i changed the carb, the exhaust, modified the intake, a new cam with a grind that allowed closer valve lash, upgraded the suspension, raised the handlebars, put a new corbin seat on.......
I want a bike that i don't have to modify at all.:thumbdown: Maybe a few little farkles here and there but thats it! Anyway, this is a great site and i can't wait to get my new ride and go absolutely everywhere with it.
Aloha,
Mike

·
Registered
935 Posts
Aloha from Kohala on the Big Island of Hawaii!
I just Ordered a 2012 DL650 Std. in orange and should take delivery in a few days. My last ride was a DR650 and although it was (is) a great bike but i realized i rode mostly street. The DR is light at 330lbs so wind was a major issue and the air cooled thumper was not smooth enough for long distance rides IMO. I also was tired of dealing with a carb. After tons of research focusing mainly on reliability i settled on the Vstrom. i remember reading one post which referred to Vstrom valves as "immortal". i started lurking here and decided the brand new DL650 was the new bike for me. With my DR i changed the carb, the exhaust, modified the intake, a new cam with a grind that allowed closer valve lash, upgraded the suspension, raised the handlebars, put a new corbin seat on.......
I want a bike that i don't have to modify at all.:thumbdown: Maybe a few little farkles here and there but thats it! Anyway, this is a great site and i can't wait to get my new ride and go absolutely everywhere with it.
Aloha,
Mike
Welcome to the group. I see your from Kona. I lived out there for a few years when Kukio was being built. I used to love riding my KLR down the lava roads to the various secluded beaches. You chose the right bike. I made the jump from the KLR and I've been real happy with my choice.

Dom

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dom,
great site....tons of good info. cant wait to get the bike! The Big Isle is great for long rides unlike the other islands. It will be nice to go up to Mauna Kea without having to enrich the carb! FI is going to be soooo nice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the bike and all i can say is....wow! so smooth and responsive. There seem to be no flats spots with useable power across the entire gearbox. I especially like the 6th gear. It's a great feeling to know you bought exactly the right bike:beatnik:

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
I've only been to Big Island once. Seems like lots of good little roads and lanes to ride. I did hear from relatives that some areas have very unpleasant, in not out right hostile, native folks who just don't like intruders to their quiet places. Nice Article about that in the current Smithsonian magazine. So much for the Aloha BS.
I never felt like I was intruding on Maui or Molokai.
Just what do you consider a 'long' trip? One can go around the island in a day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drive your bike through Inglewood at night and stop and chat with the "friendly" locals and see what kind of reception you get:thumbup:
we have nothing that compares with the racial tension your have in Cali.I grew there in Long Beach. People here are some of the friendliest you'll meet anywhere and Aloha is alive and well. I seriously doubt there is a place in the US that has as much ethnic diversity and such a low crime rate. Fact is.......we get along. In my experience people tend to get what they brought with them. YMMV
If you drove non-stop and covered most of the major roads it would take 6-8 hours to see most of what the Big Island has to offer. Typically i circumnavigate the island and have lunch and visit a friend or two and that is a full day. Long enough for me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I did hear from relatives that some areas have very unpleasant, in not out right hostile, native folks who just don't like intruders to their quiet places. Nice Article about that in the current Smithsonian magazine. So much for the Aloha BS.
Wow, nice welcome. I assume you live in Pasadena (never heard of Pasadna), Plenty of areas you wouldn't want to accidentally end up in in SoCal, too.

Hell, where I live, if you go on a hike and go off trail, you might just end up getting shot at by an Herb Farmer. We all have our problem areas...

Why can't we all just get along?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey EV,
Once upon a time i lived in Grass Valley. (1979) I imagine all those twisty roads must be heaven to scoot around on. Kind of a MC heaven up there:yesnod:

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
About the touchy natives, I saw so many neat little roads on the GPS I wanted to take but was warned about them. I guess their take on matters differs from Kona to the Hilo side.
Seems like a small bike paradise to me if some son of a Pele doesn't off me.
Wife's relatives married into a Hawaiian family and may have a different source of info.
A Hawaiian friend from work used to tell me how much the haoles were appreciated. A lot of them are like 1st American and still resent the military take over of the islands.:furious:

At the gas station at Volcano on Hwy 11 I met with some German tourists riding rented Harleys. Phooey, I was stuck in a stinking Pontiac rental car.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey EV,
Once upon a time i lived in Grass Valley. (1979) I imagine all those twisty roads must be heaven to scoot around on. Kind of a MC heaven up there:yesnod:
Now why did you guess Grass Valley??? Could it have something to do with the "herb" reference?

Don't live in Grass Valley proper (a bit west) but I do ride up there quite often. I do live in a great area to enjoy motorcycling.

EV

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I did get a Givi top case, a lower cowling, hand guards and one of those soft luggage support bars. I'm looking at the fork brace and a tank bag....lol
I guess i meant no mods to the motor or intake or exhaust or suspension. I wanted a bike that did'nt need to be teaked to run solid. I've had it for almost a week now and it is a great bike! So smooth. I got it for commutiing mainly as i have a 130 mile RT 5 days a week and with gas at $5 gallon here my gas bill was $600 a month:jawdrop: and the only issues so far are 1. it's so smooth i find myself falling asleep going home late at nite. and 2. the high beam is not very bright or at least it seems not very focused and therefore not bright. I'm very happy with my 2012 Strom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts