StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had given up on the idea of a DS tire,due to the reported minimal chain/tire clearance, but found an interesting 175-55-17 tire on Ebay as well as a 195/45-17. Either would give safe clearance between the chain and tire, has no one tried the thinner sizes? A search for those sizes, turned up nothing.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Even if you find a way to deal with chain clearance, there's still the issue of the bead/bead seat being different between auto and motorcycle. I know many riders have logged thousands of miles without incident, but it's technically not a proper fit.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For anyone interested, I did find posts on an ADV rider forum about using the 175/55-17, by Achilles and it seemed to be a well regarded option.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
You also have the option of an Achilles ATR-K in 165/45-17. They run about $47.00 shipped.

I'm going to try one on the DL650 if I don't like it I'm not out a whole lot of $$$.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You also have the option of an Achilles ATR-K in 165/45-17. They run about $47.00 shipped.

I'm going to try one on the DL650 if I don't like it I'm not out a whole lot of $$$.
That's another 1 3/4" shorter, nearly 2.5" shorter than OEM!! I'm definitely not gonna try that one! tires-easy.com has the 175/55-17 for $54, shipped free. It's only .68" less than OEM height It's worth a gamble to me.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I know some people are as passionate about their dark side tire as they are about their religion, so I'm not looking to start an argument. I have never tried a car tire on a motorcycle, but here is my experience with tire shape. When I got the GSXS it had a 190/50 rear tire. I didn't like the turn-in characteristics at all...seemed sluggish even compared to the V-strom. I replaced it with a 190/55, which gave it a slightly sharper profile and that small change made all the difference in the world in the turn-in. I can't imagine how the handling characteristics would change going from a rounded tire to a flat one. I could see someone doing it who's only out driving the interstates, but not for folks like me who just like to go out and run the twisties. And if the tire is not the same diameter, then you've changed the geometry of the bike and added another variable to the handling equation.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
Not really a darkside tire kind of bike, I think Goldwing and other bikes for that application.......in saying that I wish you much luck. :smile2: I see you are from NW Ohio, I reckon a car tire makes sense on a motorcycle up there in the flat-lands. :grin2:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not really a darkside tire kind of bike, I think Goldwing and other bikes for that application.......in saying that I wish you much luck. :smile2: I see you are from NW Ohio, I reckon a car tire makes sense on a motorcycle up there in the flat-lands. :grin2:
yup, flat and straight around here. I wanna see what it's like to not replace a rear tire every damn year!! If I don't like it, I'm only out $4. I had a $50 Ebay gift certificate from Father's Day. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
yup, flat and straight around here. I wanna see what it's like to not replace a rear tire every damn year!! If I don't like it, I'm only out $4. I had a $50 Ebay gift certificate from Father's Day. :grin2:
I would love to get by with only one set of tires per year. I go through 4 or 5 sets per year.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,337 Posts
I have never run Darkside. But EVERYTHING I see and read from actual users is that they work very well. There is simply too much experience from actual users to debate whether it is safe or not. It is that simple.

To those that are not aware of car tires on bikes, these videos might open your eyes!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the 175/55-17 yesterday. Should be here this week, but may not install for a while. I'll definitely post an update whenever I get around to trying it.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Car tyres on Bikes - bad idea.

Anyone who puts a car tyre on a motorcycle just to try and get longer wear out of their tyres is just being stupid. Car tyres and bike tyres are totally different in materials and design/construction necessary because of the different forces on the tyres. Yes car tyre are made of a harder rubber compound and therefore will wear less but the tradeoff when fitted to a bike is poor handling, instability issues and less grip than a motorcycle tyre. A car tyre on a bike is an accident looking for somewhere to happen.
I don't know what the situation is in America but in Australia fitting a car tyre to a bike usually invalidates insurance. So the potential money saved on tyre purchases may well prove to be an extremely expensive exercise. :fineprint:
How anyone can seriously condone fitting car tyres to a bike beggars belief.

If you want longer life out of your tyres then alter your riding style - :grin2:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,337 Posts
Anyone who puts a car tyre on a motorcycle just to try and get longer wear out of their tyres is just being stupid.
Well do you have any facts to prove your case?

I mentioned earlier when I posted the videos that I know of no incidences of failures or wrecks from doing this. I have not done it, nor do I tell anyone to do it. I also don't tell anyone they are stupid for doing it.

Insurance does not yet run this country.

Every time this subject comes up there will be a few posts with the most grave endings predicted. But no facts or proof.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I ordered the 175/55-17 yesterday. Should be here this week, but may not install for a while. I'll definitely post an update whenever I get around to trying it.
when you mount the tire, are you doing it at home, by hand with spoons? If so, please let me know how that sidewall responds compared to mounting your motorcycle tire. I'm curious how much more difficult it will be, if it is more difficult.

also, the recommended pressure in a dark side rear tire seems to be up for debate. What pressure are you using? (Any other dark side riders reading this, please chime in about rear tire pressure. Thanks).

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when you mount the tire, are you doing it at home, by hand with spoons? If so, please let me know how that sidewall responds compared to mounting your motorcycle tire. I'm curious how much more difficult it will be, if it is more difficult.

also, the recommended pressure in a dark side rear tire seems to be up for debate. What pressure are you using? (Any other dark side riders reading this, please chime in about rear tire pressure. Thanks).
Yes, I always do my own tires..... I'll report on that as well, but it may be a while. I still have tread on the rear.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone who puts a car tyre on a motorcycle just to try and get longer wear out of their tyres is just being stupid. Car tyres and bike tyres are totally different in materials and design/construction necessary because of the different forces on the tyres. Yes car tyre are made of a harder rubber compound and therefore will wear less but the tradeoff when fitted to a bike is poor handling, instability issues and less grip than a motorcycle tyre. A car tyre on a bike is an accident looking for somewhere to happen.
I don't know what the situation is in America but in Australia fitting a car tyre to a bike usually invalidates insurance. So the potential money saved on tyre purchases may well prove to be an extremely expensive exercise. :fineprint:
How anyone can seriously condone fitting car tyres to a bike beggars belief.

If you want longer life out of your tyres then alter your riding style - :grin2:
Your oft quoted "facts" are always brought about by those who tend to be fearful and unimaginative. The big plus for car tires is not only the mileage, but the siping that produces FAR more traction than a m/c tire. As for the construction, I once spent 8 years as a tire builder at a BF Goodrich(Michelin) plant. I know how they're built, and materials used....it ain't rocket science, no matter how much you'd like to think it is. The only thing stupid about this experiment, is the need to listen to condescending know it alls, and their predictions of doom. I had hoped to get responses to my actual question "Has anyone tried a thinner size"......instead, I get attitudes from backwoods engineers. >:)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts