StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a Strom ever finished :green_lol::green_lol:
I seriously doubt I'll ever finish this bike, I'll always be tinkering with it in some shape or other.
Anyhow, finally getting my new top box made up, and to be honest even though I was there when the measurements were first discussed, its blown me away just how big it is now its welded up.

Funny thing is, its narrower than the handle bars, so I should block it from windgusts etc.

One thing for certain is, it'll hold everything I ever need to carry on multi-week trips, including the kitchen sink! :jawdrop:

From the front.

From the side. The cutouts allow the panniers to be opened without removing it.

From the rear.

Still to be added are the LED tail light and indicators, and the "eyebrow" over them. Also to be added are the water/fuel bottles, which will done after it's been powder coated.
Internally it will have a second battery fitted to run all the accessories on the bike, and camping lights etc etc etc.
It will locate with four "dowels" to my Nilgiri rack (Thanks Jackson!:mrgreen:)
and will have matching locks as per my panniers so only one key is needed :mrgreen:, and a simple padlock affair will hold it in place and prevent "light fingers" from decided its better off in their possession!.

More to come.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Look,now,umm--that is a top box DL and what's more you have won the inaugural "most posts in a 5 minute period" no prize :yesnod:

·
Registered
515 Posts
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

(say something nice Pete,say something nice... )

Umm...

Crikey mate, that's a helluva box.

Keep it locked or you might find several immigrant families moved in.
Does it come with it's own postcode??
You could put a postie in there in case you get a flat on the Mothership.

:biggrinjester:

But seriously though, it's way big for my taste, but I'm kinda minimalist, if it carries what you need then it's what you need to carry it.

Enjoy,
Pete

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
"One thing for certain is, it'll hold everything I ever need to carry on multi-week trips, including the kitchen sink! :jawdrop: "

I thought it WAS the KITCHEN SINK!!!!!! :weapons_75:

:green_lol::green_lol::green_lol:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
don't take any notice to them DL,

but you may want to change the last line of you signature

:green_lol::green_lol:::jawdrop::yikes:
Now everybody, go back and read the last line in DL's Sig.

You know you will........

You won't be able to resist.........

Go on........

It's just at the top of this page.........

There ya go, now you will have to agree with Muddy about the change, won't you?
:green_lol::green_lol:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I have one of those,It has wheels a draw bar and costs $60 a year to register :biggrinjester:love DL there is love,can we have dimensions mate so we can wonder out to the shed with the lufkin and go jeeesus :mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hey Paul, don't take any notice of all the comments, it looks very impressive, but with a couple of wheels in those arches and bolted to the side of the Vee, Snooky's got a new seat :thumbsup: :yesnod: :mrgreen:

:cheers2:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Mate have you ever heard of aerodynamics . ???
I am not having a shot at you just trying to help explain what some icluding myself have found with aerodynamice on bikes
In the late 1970's early 1980 's a leading UK university ( I think it was Oxford Not sure ) did aerodynamic tests on motorbikes and found the WORST place to put a load was were we put top boxes as the air flow around a rider then in then gets disturbed by the top box and acts like lever because it is above and behind the centre of gravity . This is a simple explanation but as speed increases areodynamics start to take affect . The higher the speed the affect gets applified dramatically.Funny when you add a pillion the the affect almost gose away . So be very carefull when riding without a pillion with that large sail on the back . You should also note that a lot of top boxes from bike manufacturers have warnings about weight and speed because of this investigation .

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Besides aerodynamics, putting weight that far from the center of mass of the bike can cause the tail to wag the dog.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Now thats a BOX

DL. Your right about the aerodynamics. I have a home made box which I thought was large 'till saw yours. Yours is bigger than mine! I can feel turbulence behind my back, caused by air sucked into this low pressure area and swirling around and hitting the box. In some conditions I can feel a little air brake being applied. The main concern is the turbulence whips cold air under my jacket and I get cold kidneys. Well kidney as I now have only one thanks to cancer. Grey Wolf is correct and too much weight this far back can be felt but I'm sure that you have already considered this.
Hey OCK You 'bin taken up mind reading!! Yeh, I scrolled back too!

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is big and looks like they have done a realy nice job on it, but it is not completally square. Do the cut outs on the side help to let the wind pass and reduce turbulance?
Of course all of these issue's only arise if you travel fast, oh you have a 1000 not a 650 :green_lol:

Bloody hell Ock,I looked back too!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Aerodynamics get terribly upredicatble when you change direction like any corner at SPEED
The air excerts pressure in variably ways trying to lean the bike more or less when the bike is leaning as the angle of the airflow varies. As the box is very square unlike say an Rjays top box the airflow is very unpredictable . I can say that in my experence 30 years ago it starts to feel like a slow tanslapper that comes and goes for no apparant reason at speed

You can can also have it happen in a straight line ,like it did at about 170 kph my XS1100 ( with a La Parisien Full Faring ) with a 53 litre Krasuer top box . The solution was alway to accerate then slowly slow down to 160 kph. With a pillion it was fine all the way to about 200 kph .

If you do have problems you can always try a bit of throttle then slow down ,or lean forward as this will change the airflow .Also be carefull of crosewinds as you have a much bigger sail area behind you .

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Hey DL,your getting more heat than Craig Thomson's credit card,I am more interested in what is going in this box--you mentioned extra battery etc ,can you elaborate.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Hey DL,your getting more heat than Craig Thomson's credit card,I am more interested in what is going in this box--you mentioned extra battery etc ,can you elaborate.
300 amp hour 17 plate deep cycle truck battery, 240v inverter, to run the electric blankets in the ten person two storey tent with the Queen size air mattress they will be sleeping on. :biggrinjester:

We all complain about aerodynamics but, for the most part, we learn to cope with it because we want the benefit of being able to carry the items we consider important to the pleasure and convenience of out trip.

The true test will be how it works overall on a weekend away. :yesnod:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Poor old Paul hasn't been back on the forum since he put up the first post last night. He's gunna have kittens when he sees all this.

Hope you've got a thick skin matey. And remember, we're Aussies, we only put shit on people we like. :thumbup:

Pete.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Poor old Paul hasn't been back on the forum since he put up the first post last night. He's gunna have kittens when he sees all this.
Make a post like that when "Travel by bike, travel light" is in your sig and expect reactions.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Very nice workmanship. I am more a minimalist though.

Just a word of "advice" to those that pack up 100 pounds of gear and a 150 lb pillion and a 200 lb rider...your weights may vary. There are four bolts that hold the rear subframe (to which your seat attaches) on the bike. Even though I carry much less weight and typically no pillion rider, I check these bolts and mounting tabs for cracks, especially after riding a rough track.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts