StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I installed the SW Motech center stand that I picked up from another Stromtrooper here(good deal, thanks Appalachian Rider) and almost dropped the bike for the first time. I got the bike up easy enough and then I went to lower it off the stand while standing next to it and the bike started to pull away from me when it came off the stand. Took everything I had to keep it upright. Luckily I was holding one hand on the handlebar and one on the rear handle so I had a good grip. whew!

As for the stand, super easy install, about 20 minutes. Toughest part was getting to the upper bolt on the throttle side. Had to use a 1/4 drive 6mm hex key with a long extension and a u-joint. Spring was no issue as I have a couple of spring pullers for installing exhaust springs on my dirt bikes. I read some posts that said the stand wasn't that stable, but that doesn't seem to be the case with mine. I tried to rock the bike around and it was sturdy. Another nice SW Motech product.

·
Registered
267 Posts
What has always worked for me including much heavier bikes (1800 Gold Wings) is before taking the bike off the center stand put it in gear, put the kickstand down, grasp it as you did and pull forward and too you or to the kickstand. No surprises this way each and every time it safely drops over onto the sidestand and doesn't roll forward because it is in gear. Personally I don't like to come off the centerstand sitting on the bike but this is just me. It has never happened to me while doing it this way but I have seen others go over on the high side and drop it. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
242 Posts
+1 on leaning it toward you, or better yet, be on the saddle. I'm a short guy and I can rock it off no problem....

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
The Motech center stand does seem to very stable and easy to deploy. Equally easy to roll off of. However, it is quite possible to have the bike fall away from you while deploying the center stand.
It's always best to accomplish that task in a busy gas station as I did. I work best with an audience!:green_lol:
Cobblestone paving allows for wonderfully uneven surface that can be a bother.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Centerstand

I worry about that at work. I park along several high dollar Harleys and always envision me rolling it off the centerstand and starting a domino effect with the rest of the bikes. I mainly use my centerstand in my garage to do chain maintenance. :thumbup:

The Motech center stand does seem to very stable and easy to deploy. Equally easy to roll off of. However, it is quite possible to have the bike fall away from you while deploying the center stand.
It's always best to accomplish that task in a busy gas station as I did. I work best with an audience!:green_lol:
Cobblestone paving allows for wonderfully uneven surface that can be a bother.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I mainly use my centerstand in my garage to do chain maintenance.
+1
Or when it's parked in a place (next to a wall, for instance) where it is not possible to lean it onto the sidestand.

For all other purposes the sidestand provides a MUCH more stable parking stance than the centerstand and is always my first choice.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Mine comes off the centerstand with either me aboard or standing on the left side. Either way, both hands on the grips - just like riding.
I have never considered taking mine off the center stand without me being on the bike since I can control the roll and brake so much easier and I'm in the center of the weight of the bike.

Under what conditions would you need to roll it off the stand being next to the bike as opposed to being on the bike?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have never considered taking mine off the center stand without me being on the bike since I can control the roll and brake so much easier and I'm in the center of the weight of the bike.

Under what conditions would you need to roll it off the stand being next to the bike as opposed to being on the bike?
Well I think it is a personal choice and after riding 50+ years I have always felt more secure myself in standing next to the bike as I described in my post. Now the reason I feel more secure is because I am so short & short legged. I choose to ride a Strom and get along fine with them by thinking my way through things like this. I always tell people who comment to me "that bike is very tall for you" yes it is BUT you don't ride a motorcycle with your feet on the ground :thumbup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
yup, mount the bike, rock it forward and off, not likely you'll drop it that way.
I've never done it any other way.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Can't muster enough leverage to get it off the CS while aboard, and parked facing up my sloping driveway. I do alot of maintenence there.

In my garage I park the bike right up next to some obstacles, leaving no floor room on the right for my foot. Yeah, I ought to organise my garage better.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
To get it off the centerstand while standing along side, try this---sidestand down and confirmed fully forward, right hand on the grip by the seat & left hand on the bar, pull the bike back against the centerstand, then push it slightly forward. Lightly pull the bike toward you so it is slightly heavier on the left foot of the centerstand. It'll roll forward off the centerstand, and you lower it to the sidestand in one smooth motion.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I never have the side stand down when rolling the bike off the CS. It can contact the ground if the suspension compresses enough, possibly causing the bike to lurch the other way and right out of your hands, and eventually damage the sidestand itself.

I've tried it both ways and feel alot more comforatble with both hands on the bars, which also gives control of the front brake. I do this almost every day, sometimes several times a day.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
The proper technique for taking a bike off the centrestand follows:

1. Start engine and do the pre-flight check
2. Don riding gear
3. Sit on the bike and grasp the handlebars
4. Put the bike in first gear and rev the engine a little (2,500 rpm or so)
5. Stand on the pegs and lean backwards while pulling the bars toward you
6. The bike comes off the centrestand all by itself.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
rolling it off the centerstand and starting a domino effect

A friend did that at the Rock Store on Mulholland Dr. Dumped his BMW RT onto Jay Lenos' Brough Superior and pushed that over onto Jays' buddies Hardley. Very much excitement.
Lenos' people were nice and my friend got off relatively cheap in repairs.
I saw a whole line of bikes do the domino thing on a fairly steep slope at the Mariposa Fair grounds during a BMW rally. I don't like bike crowds on uneven ground.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts