StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently rode home from Washington DC -> New York City area - and I was weaving in and out of a rainstorm the whole way back. When the rain started I pulled over to put on my rainsuit (2 piece that i put over a mesh riding jacket) and while i stayed out of the rain from the outside, i was almost dying on the inside from sweating.

It got me thinking, wouldnt it be great if I could just put on this rainsuit without having to wear the jacket underneath?....But then I would have no padding protection (my rainsuit doesnt have any)

Is there an effective rainsuit out there that includes padding protection so I could shed my mesh jacket and just wear the rainsut in case of inclement weather?

thanks to anyone who replies

BTW - heres a link showing the rainsuit I own.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Cha...Gear&mscssid=0090E5A2A4E1F04612981945DD477415

·
Registered
576 Posts
A different angle...

I think you may want to approach this problem from the other end. Instead of trying to find rain gear with protection, try looking into protective gear that is waterproof. I have an Olympia AST jacket that I love for riding in all conditions. It has amazing venting for hot weather (and I do wear it up to 100 degrees F) and when it rains, just close up most or all of the vents to stay dry. It also has a nice cozy liner for cold weather. There are lots of options like this if you ask around.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
What he said. This is an Olympia Phantom. I also have an AST and the Ranger II pants, but for bad weather I like this better.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'll put a third vote in for the AST... It's completely waterPROOF (provided you get all the vents fully closed... D'OH!!). I'm comfortable in it well into the 80s... any warmer than that and I need my mesh. If it's humid, 80 is about as warm as I can take.

Now, that being said, it would NOT be a good choice for heavy stop-n-go traffic on 80+ degree days... the venting works well, but only at speeds of 20mph+. Crawling in traffic is downright miserable, waterproof or not!

·
Registered
71 Posts
You might try Frogg Toggs. They are made of a breathable fabric so sweating is much less of an issue. I do tend to wear them (the bib pants anyway) under my regular riding gear if I am certain it will be raining...but I bought them large enough to fit over top of all my stuff. I can vouch for the quality and effectiveness....I've ridden extended distances in some really rotten conditions and stayed quite dry.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'll put a third vote in for the AST... It's completely waterPROOF (provided you get all the vents fully closed... D'OH!!). I'm comfortable in it well into the 80s... any warmer than that and I need my mesh. If it's humid, 80 is about as warm as I can take.

Now, that being said, it would NOT be a good choice for heavy stop-n-go traffic on 80+ degree days... the venting works well, but only at speeds of 20mph+. Crawling in traffic is downright miserable, waterproof or not!
+4 on this. I have the Olympia Voyager that I bought last fall on closeout ($129) and have used every day since. It's not as waterproof anymore, but I've not cleaned or treated it yet either.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You might try Frogg Toggs. They are made of a breathable fabric so sweating is much less of an issue. I do tend to wear them (the bib pants anyway) under my regular riding gear if I am certain it will be raining...but I bought them large enough to fit over top of all my stuff. I can vouch for the quality and effectiveness....I've ridden extended distances in some really rotten conditions and stayed quite dry.
Have them as well. The good Dr suggested.
Did almost 200km at the end of a trip in nasty weather at highway speeds and they worked great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts