StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Gang ,

I am new to the whole V Strom thing and have some questions . I have an 08 DL1000 that I picked up from the stealership today . Bought it with the Odo on 0 , now has 52 miles . ( I know , I know , it needs to be ridden more , LOL )

I figure the best thing to do is to aska small string of questions all at once , rather than flood the forum with tons of one question threads so I will shoot my short list at you .

Throttle Body sync , can I do it myself fairly easy , and how is it done if I can ?

About how many street miles can I expect out of the stocker tires ? I am a pretty mild throttled rider .

I will ust this DL1000 for better than 95% street and is there a proven tire for good handling on dry/wet surface that will get me some long miles ?

Is there and Idle adjustment on this puppy ? Dealer says no . I rolled my eyes .

Can I richen up the fuel/air mix myself ( pretty easily ) ?

Does anyone know of a decent trailer and hitch set up for the DL1000 ?

Will someone mail me a small box of one hundred dollar bills ? PLEASE !!

Do cables and such need any rerouting with use of 2 inch handle bar risers ?

UH... UH .... Thinking .......... HHMMMM ... I guess that's about it for now . Any help would be appreciated greatly .

Wes :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Will someone mail me a small box of one hundred dollar bills ? PLEASE !!
Wes :confused: :confused: :confused:
I have a small box, microscopic in fact, jam-packed with one hundred dollar bills.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah , and with my luck , I'd try t rehydrate those microscopic bills and they would swell up so big I couldn't even carry ONE of the dang things to the bank . LOL

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Throttle Body sync , can I do it myself fairly easy , and how is it done if I can ?

About how many street miles can I expect out of the stocker tires ? I am a pretty mild throttled rider .

Is there and Idle adjustment on this puppy ? Dealer says no . I rolled my eyes .

Can I richen up the fuel/air mix myself ( pretty easily ) ?
Wes, if you're only looking for regional input, just ignore this. If not I'll weigh in.

TBS is well docummented on this forum. Here is the consumate thread on the topic:
http://stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=14395

Idle adjustment is a small phillips head screw on the left side of the motor just under the tank. Raise it to 1100-1200 rpm.

Do you need to richen up your bike?

You only have 52 miles on it. It has probably stalled on you a few times as you pulled up to a stop. That is becuse the factory usually spits the bikes out at about 800 rpm. It's too low.

Raise your idle and put about 3000 miles on this bike without doing anything else. By then you will get a real feel for the bike and will be more aware of its shortcomings, if you have any at all. You will be in a better position to assess any changes you may want to make. They all get better with a few miles on them. Chances are you won't need anything else.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wethereyet ,
Thanks man , I thought that little allen screw must have had to be the idle screw but thought I would find out . The Stealership said it was automatic idle adjustment , LOL/LOL .
As for richening things up a bit , I really was asking mostly out of curiosity . I find that most bikes are shipped running quite lean to stay within air quality standards . Leaner runs hotter , so I sort of like to keep and eye on that at first with a n ew steed .

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Things changed for the 2007 model year. I could be wrong but I don't think there is an idle adjustment screw for 2007 and above, I think it has to be adjusted at the ECU by the dealer. I could be thinking of something else though so someone let me know if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Things changed for the 2007 model year. I could be wrong but I don't think there is an idle adjustment screw for 2007 and above, I think it has to be adjusted at the ECU by the dealer. I could be thinking of something else though so someone let me know if I'm wrong.
He has a Vee. No changes to anything.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently no changes were made to the 08 DL1000 , cuz I found the suspicious little phillips screw to definitely be an idle adjustment this a.m. . Adjusted it to dead on 1250 +/- after full warm up . It seems to help the way it runs all the way around the spectrum , especially as you come off of cruising into a parking lot or slow traffic . As I surely had expected it to do .

I am still curious of the mileage ranges folks got out of their stocker tires . I am going to be looking for a mostly street , higher mileage tire when these are toast .

Thak guys , Wes

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Adjusted it to dead on 1250 +/- after full warm up
1250 rpm may be just a bit high. All these bikes are different. If you find that your rpm's don't drop immediately after backing off the throttle, keep backing off your idle speed in small increements until it does. It's a safety issue. I think most guys are topped out about 1200 rpm. Mine is best about 1150.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1250 rpm may be just a bit high. All these bikes are different. If you find that your rpm's don't drop immediately after backing off the throttle, keep backing off your idle speed in small increements until it does. It's a safety issue. I think most guys are topped out about 1200 rpm. Mine is best about 1150.

Yeppers . I thought 1250 was a bit high but I am taking a ride to Charlotte tomorrow and will do some pretty good elevation changes so I thought I would start out at 1250 . I bet she actually comes up a bit once I get off the mountain . Gonna play with it for sure . I was hoping for the 1100-1150 ranges once I get her tinkered in . LOL . I got my baby phillips head sticking out of the pocket of my tank bag so I can just whoop it out on the quick draw and get her all dialed in .

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
which route you taking down to charlotte wes?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
which route you taking down to charlotte wes?
Charlotte trip cancelled , but I usually go 64-280-I 26-74 then on in to Charlotte .

Curiosity questin for everyone . I am wondering how many bars show on your temp gauge when up to full temp and riding .

I'm really liking the DL1000 , but there is obviously a lean running adjustment that needs to be made and I am assuming a TBS in it's near future . A bit of popping occasionally going on in the airbox . I am assuming it is the typical FI setup thats too lean and TBS needs to be done .

Other than that , with the odo on 420 righ now , she seems to be fine and rides like a dream . Pretty darn quick on it's feet as well . Especially for pulling a big fellow like me .

Thanks for everyones input so far , but the temp gauge question is one I am really curious of although I rarely have heard the fan come on .

Wes

R

·
0 Posts
PO I got about 7300 miles out of my Trialwings but I am a pretty aggressive rider.

RR

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PO I got about 7300 miles out of my Trialwings but I am a pretty aggressive rider.

RR

Way cool news RR . The stealersip guy told me to expect only about 3,000 at best . That's good news in my book . Won't need a set this year then .

Also , I am curious to how much ear your tech sorts gave you regarding lean running and TBS when you took it in for your 600 mile service . Anybody ????

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK , here's where I am with my new DL1000 . I have to say that we all are fully aware of , that the fact remains that some info on forums can be misleading or simply a bit over personalized opinions . Along with some really well founded and solid opinions as well .Gving thought and heed to that , after buying this Vee , I rode it , I payed attention to what folks had to say , whether good , bad or indifferent about the Vee .

After putting about 700 miles on the thing , I soon came to realize ....Yep , it has some surge feel in areas of rpm and gear combos , the idle was set up unsatisfacory from the get go , yes ... it stalled on me a few times when letting off the throttle and pulling in the clutch as I pulled in a few parking lots and at a red light or two . It sort of popped like a mild bacfire a few times and actually did it once really hard . Other than that it had no other issues that I could detect or imagine in the first 700 miles . I said several times that , " I really liked it " in the forums . Which I did really like it .

Sooooo , with that said , I took it in to Dal-Kawa Cycles in Hendersonville,NC today for it's 600 mile service . Told them my experience , they listened intently . When I say " they " , I mean the service writer and the head tech and the tech assigned to do the service . The assigned tech and head tech explained to me what they would be looking for and if it didn't get worked out that they would call Suzuki and see if they had any better ideas and we would work on it till we got it to it's best ability to perform and to what I could live with . It sounded good to me , so they rolled my new steed into the shop .

After a couple of hours of some serious BS'ing , a ton of new politically incorrect jokes and a passle good new lies later at the parts counter , the tech reappears . The assigned tech showed me the paperwork , told me what he did and told me if it wasn't to my liking , to call him personally and let him know so we could work it . Nice service for sure .

The tech said that the throttle body sync was in need of adustment and the throttle response needed to be adjusted as well . He told me again , to call him if I didn't like how the bike was responding to his work . He also said the adjustments needed were covered under warranty so no worries there .

I jump on my DL1000 headed for home ..... Man , I am so tempted to just pose this as a question and let you guys guess at what the end result was , but I can't do that in a thread . LOL .

After only a few hundred yards I could really feel the difference bigtime . By the time I got home ( which is about 40 miles away ) , I was ready to procreate with my DL1000 . Talk about smooth , and serious about getting the job done , I was elated at the result . The thing is no near perfect now I cannot believe it . There is an extremely slight bit of surge still there at about 3k in first gear just rolling along in slow traffic . But let's face it . High HP V-Twins do that to some degree by nature . Overall , this thing is the perfect machine for me . Can't believe I finally found a machine that thinks like I do and is so stable along with willing to do it's job with pride and smoothness .

I figure since the tech asked me to call him with any problems , he might well appreciate a pat on the back . I mean he did put the golden screw driver to it for me and treated me like the entire place gave a crap about me and my bike . With so much cussing and fussing aout dealerships , I figure the folks at Dal-Kawa ,along with folks on the forums would all like to hear something besides a bunch of B****ing about petty stuff .

To top off this fine little cake , as I was leaving , the salesman that I bought the bike from called me off to the side and said he had to show me something . I followed him to the bike parking in the rear of the shop and he had a SUPER NICE spiff for me hanging up . I really should not tell what the spiff was just out of respect for the dealership for doing something so nice for me . But I will say this , I have been wanting one of these really bad and they knew it . The saleman had seen me looking at them several times and I had even priced one . I couldn't believe it . He spiffed it to me at no charge . I could be seen for miles around on my way home and was quite stunned and the kindness .

I do need to add that I have sent them 4 successful sales referrals in the last 12 months , so in some form I have earned the spiff as a bird dog fee . But you have to admit , it was a serious extension of their appreciation to my belief in them as a team . They are not perfect , but they want our business and will hold to it as friends as long as we show we are willing to work with them as a team and as neighbors and friends .

I know this is long winded , but I wanted to say something on the forums on the behalf of this dealership and their crew . NOT forgetting my new found excitement in owing the Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 . Now , let's hope she continues to be such a fine machine .

Thanks for your patience in this post , Wes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts