1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
99 Posts
We now have ADLI in the states. It's also Labor Day here Sept 1st.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Aldi also has great selection of cheeses priced right and awesome Naan bread. Soon I'll head down to get 10 blocks or so of cheese to cold smoke for the winter supply. Also cheapie $1.50 per 8oz block of Walmart sharp cheddar after it has 3 hours of clean cold Applewood smoke and a few days rest turns into something you'd pay $10 a pound for at a boutique store.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We now have ADLI in the states. It's also Labor Day here Sept 1st.

Yeah, Pop found Aldi when they came to Houston several years ago. I like shopping there too, but there just isn't one that's a reasonable distance from me. It's the bees knees for him though; he loves that store. Here, I've only seen small grocery store types. If they exist here as a variety/hard goods store, I haven't seen one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, Pop found Aldi when they came to Houston several years ago. I like shopping there too, but there just isn't one that's a reasonable distance from me. It's the bees knees for him though; he loves that store. Here, I've only seen small grocery store types. If they exist here as a variety/hard goods store, I haven't seen one.

Our local ALDI is not a variety store either. We have returnable carts.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
There may be a difference in whose Aldi it is. Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud. The one in the US is Aldi Nord, I think.
The general merchandise section in the US stores is limited. I did get my computer desk chair there though. It may last longer than the one i got at Costco.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
Our local ALDI is not a variety store either. We have returnable carts.
Neither are Oz Aldi stores. They are supermarkets that have weekly special buys of non-supermarket goods. They seem to be on a 6 monthly cycle but some are season dependent, e.g., snowfields clothing.

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The motorcycle gear specials always occur in August and has done so for the last three years. The ski gear always in June I believe.
As a supermarket the Aldi's downunder have a range of all the basics - fruit and vegetables, dairy, meat etc but a limited range of pantry items and so visiting a traditional supermarket is occasionally necessary. They also have no delicatessen or bakery departments, although they do have a range of pre-packed buns and bread.
The major difference though is their twice weekly advertised single consignment buy-ins. Every Wednesday and Saturday. Electronics, garden, homewares, TV's, bedding, tools, kitchenware, etc all extremely well priced and of reasonable quality.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
As a supermarket the Aldi's downunder have a range of all the basics - fruit and vegetables, dairy, meat etc but a limited range of pantry items and so visiting a traditional supermarket is occasionally necessary.
Our Aldi is opposite Woolworths aka Woolies (one of the big 2 supermarket chain in Oz) in the same shopping centre. We only go to Aldi for the Wednesday and Saturday specials. Our groceries are bought at Woolies because they have all we want. If we wen to Aldi, we'd still need to cross the aisle to get the rest at Woolies.

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, I got some more of the great bike socks, balaclava and woollen undervest. Thought about the boots but no real ankle protection so didn't bother. Already got the leather jacket, the Euro winter pants and over-jacket and the gloves - all good stuff.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I have a couple of the pushbike saddle bags that I converted to fit my Givi crash bars, I got them from Ebay for a few pennies less.

The frame bags look like they could also do the job.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was thinking the same on the push bike bags, may have a look.
Bought gloves last year and have to say, really good for the price.

Harry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts