StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of the Aldi bike video cameras today [Tevion Action Cam, $80 including handlebar mount, cables, 2GB memory card].

I clamped it on the crash bar and went for a short ride to test it.

The video was fairly good apart from a little shaking at times.

The mounting has a little bit of looseness in it but I think that can be dealt with with an elastic band looped around the whole thing or a velcro stap around it.
Where the mount clamps on the bar is good and seems secure.

The camera records as .avi files that can then be uploaded to a computer.
It records a video clip for 20 minute, saves the file and continues recording again automatically.

I have however found that I can't upload .avi files to photobucket.

Does anyone have another method of uploading .avi files to forums, or another website similar to photobucket that will actually upload .avi files so they can be pasted to forums?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
The camera records as .avi files that can then be uploaded to a computer.
It records a video clip for 20 minute, saves the file and continues recording again automatically.
European regulations rule. If it records longer than 20 min it's classed as a video camera and taxed into extinction.

I have however found that I can't upload .avi files to photobucket.

Does anyone have another method of uploading .avi files to forums, or another website similar to photobucket that will actually upload .avi files so they can be pasted to forums?

Kill Photodumpit or whatever that crap hosting site is called and get a Vimeo or Youtube account which will cost you exactly the same as Photorubbish - free.
Then search the 'net there are about 10 million free video conversion programs around. You definitely DO NOT want to be uploaded .avi files they are huge. Maybe you could start by downloading Microsoft Movie Maker (it's also free).

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the hints Kiwi, I will have a look at them.

For $80 it is good enough to do basic vids, waterproof as well.

It can be set as a security camera that activates by movement sensor and can also record infra-red black and white [built in infrared LED lights as well as bright white lighting for filming in low/no light situations].

Still photo pictures can be taken with it as well.

I will play around with it and find a way to secure it in a more stable place on the bike and also take the little bit of movement the camera has between the unit and the mounting.

I may see about making a mounting to put it on my helmet, they supply a strap that you can supposedly use to attach it to your helmet.
It looks like you are supposed to put the camera on top of the helmet and secure the strap under your chin. :green_lol::green_lol::green_lol:
Like that will stay put around a slippery helmet. :fineprint:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I posted a link to it earlier in the week in the photography and video section of the forum.
The helmet mount appears to be designed for vented bicycle helmets. You feed it through the vents on the top.
The mounting system is hard to see from Aldis web site but if there is a standard tripod socket on the bottom there are plenty of options including RAM mounts which will cost as much as the camera but be a worth while long term investment. You might also want to investigate whether the mount is compatible with the GoPro camera mounts.
FWIW I believe that there are moves afoot in NSW to ban helmet mounted cameras on spurious safety grounds.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I will go look for the link, thanks.

No standard screw mount, it has a Tevion specific slide mount with a lock in clip that stops it sliding back off.
The bar mount actually looks very strong and I think a strong rubber band or a velcro strap around the camera and clamp combined will make it as shake free as any camera can be when mounted to a bike.

For the main part I would be happy just to have it mounted on the bike somewhere rather than the helmet [when riding or driving I'm a real "swivel head" looking for trouble coming from all directions, I do mirror checks every 5 seconds as well as looking off to the sides and ahead over an almost 180 deg. scan- a bit like a radar sweep- people would get seasick watching anything I filmed :yikes: ].

Blimey Kiwi, I tried to search for a post in that section by you- it returned pages of hits. :jawdrop:

I think I will need something more specific to enable me to find your post with the link.

Off to google I go to look for those other options you suggested.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You definitely DO NOT want to be uploaded .avi files they are huge. Maybe you could start by downloading Microsoft Movie Maker (it's also free).
Ok, found some options.

What format would you suggest is best to convert them to?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Depends on the programs that you are using. I tend to use .MP4 so I can view them on my iPad. Youtube will basically handle anything and just convert it anyway.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So MP4 or MOV should do it.

Thanks Kiwi.

EDIT:

Well I downloaded a conversion program and it doesn't bloody work!

I can see this is going to take some trial and error to find one that will do the job.

Ah well, it will keep me amused working it out.

·
Registered
436 Posts
we got two (my son and I ) his won't turn off the infrared LEDs and mine has a problem with the video, it pauses for a fraction of a second than keeps going , sometimes it can happen a couple of times in a row or 10 to 30seconds later ???
Going to get refund and keep looking.

Like other people on this forum (Keychain cam) it can be the luck of the draw if if you get a good or bad one , me Im going to save my money and buy a gopro or the like later.

ockerstrom , sounds like you got a good one , Happy videoing . But i would check your video very closely to see it is not doing the same.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we got two (my son and I ) his won't turn off the infrared LEDs and mine has a problem with the video, it pauses for a fraction of a second than keeps going , sometimes it can happen a couple of times in a row or 10 to 30seconds later ???
Going to get refund and keep looking.

Like other people on this forum (Keychain cam) it can be the luck of the draw if if you get a good or bad one , me Im going to save my money and buy a gopro or the like later.

ockerstrom , sounds like you got a good one , Happy videoing . But i would check your video very closely to see it is not doing the same.
I'm inclined to think the infrared LED's just look like they are on because they are different globes to the standard white light, mine look like they are the same whether off or on in IR mode [but you have two units so you can compare better than I can].

The skip or pause is known, the camera takes 30 frames per second but in reality they skip a frame every 30 seconds or so [there is a review on youtube, I will try to find the link], this can be reduced by using a lower setting on the camera but it is still there [and yes mine also does it].

The GoPro seems to be the best available going by posts on several bike forums, it is up around the $300-$400 mark to buy one though.

I'm only experimenting with the idea of videoing rides at the moment so I'm not inclined to spend big money yet.

Generally I'm happy just to go for the ride and take photos along the way.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Ocker

As K1W1 suggested, try Window Live Movie Maker. Free, and I'm pretty sure it will do the conversion.

After watching THIS YouTube review I decided not to buy it.

Looking fwd to some Ocker Studio productions though!
I watched a youtube review of them as well- after I bought one. :green_lol:

But still worth trying for me as I'm not really in to the movie thing, although I do like to watch many of the ride videos others post. :fineprint:

AstroBob pm'd me a link to a free conversion program that seems to work, after Xmas I will try filming some rides and see if I can get them up on to youtube.

I just need to figure out the best format to convert to.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I watched a youtube review of them as well- after I bought one. :green_lol:

But still worth trying for me as I'm not really in to the movie thing, although I do like to watch many of the ride videos others post. :fineprint:

AstroBob pm'd me a link to a free conversion program that seems to work, after Xmas I will try filming some rides and see if I can get them up on to youtube.

I just need to figure out the best format to convert to.
You might like to put them on "Funniest home vids" and win some money:biggrinjester:just joking well,gidday mate.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Mate I have seen one of his videos and there was no motorbike in it but there was some good riding ,some sexy curves,a couple of small mountains and a short straight ...It was over with rather quickly I thought .

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm inclined to think the infrared LED's just look like they are on because they are different globes to the standard white light, mine look like they are the same whether off or on in IR mode [but you have two units so you can compare better than I can].

The skip or pause is known, the camera takes 30 frames per second but in reality they skip a frame every 30 seconds or so [there is a review on youtube, I will try to find the link], this can be reduced by using a lower setting on the camera but it is still there [and yes mine also does it].

The GoPro seems to be the best available going by posts on several bike forums, it is up around the $300-$400 mark to buy one though.

I'm only experimenting with the idea of videoing rides at the moment so I'm not inclined to spend big money yet.

Generally I'm happy just to go for the ride and take photos along the way.
My son videoed a white wall to test the infrared LED's and found they were not turning off when they should be off , i tested mine the same way and found they were switching off as they should, we didn't go by the colour of the LED's !!!

I don't really want to $300- $400 for a gopro so I'm going to keep looking for something around the $200 mark.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My son videoed a white wall to test the infrared LED's and found they were not turning off when they should be off , i tested mine the same way and found they were switching off as they should, we didn't go by the colour of the LED's !!!

I don't really want to $300- $400 for a gopro so I'm going to keep looking for something around the $200 mark.
Yes I thought you must have tested them somehow to know the two cameras were operating differently.

If I get the bug to do videos I will ultimately look for something in the mid range price bracket too.

·
Super Moderator
4,606 Posts
Aldi will accept it back without question. I've returned goods that, after testing them, just weren't up to the mark.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Aldi cam

I was looking at buying one of these but was worried about quality etc.

After reading this forum will skip the Aldi cam.

Any suggestions on a better cam for motorbike around $200 mark?

Rick

·
Registered
436 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts