StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Oregon, most of our gas is 10% ethanol.

Non-ethanol gas is available but it is almost always premium.

This to me is worth the extra money for 3 reasons.

1) It improves your gas mileage. Alcohol has a stoichiometric A/F ratio that's half that of gasoline. Since you have 10% alcohol in there, that means a 5% reduction in fuel economy.

2) Alcohol absorbs moisture. Obviously if you're in an area with lots of humidity and your bike sits, corrosion of the fuel system can become a problem.

3) The extra octane is insurance. If your engine overheats or has other problems, that extra octane will delay and lessen the severity of pinging while your limp you bike to a place you can stop.

Since I'm getting almost 60 miles to the gallon, the extra cost isn't that noticeable.

The increase in fuel economy saved my ass today as I took a risky move in not stopping for gas on my way back home from Eugene (did a whole round trip without gassing up). I coasted into Sisters after having ridden 330 miles. I don't think I could've ridden that far on 10% Ethanol gas.

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
The 10% is a national mess, The corn industry has put so much money on the pocket so the elected they pass the mistake on to us. All of the auto makers testified it would ruin the engines. Money talks.
Just be mindful of the pump when you fill up.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Here in Texas they are starting to sell non-ethanol gas in Wal-Marts. Of course none of these are anywhere near me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here in Oregon, most of our gas is 10% ethanol.

Non-ethanol gas is available but it is almost always premium.

This to me is worth the extra money for 3 reasons.

1) It improves your gas mileage. Alcohol has a stoichiometric A/F ratio that's half that of gasoline. Since you have 10% alcohol in there, that means a 5% reduction in fuel economy.

2) Alcohol absorbs moisture. Obviously if you're in an area with lots of humidity and your bike sits, corrosion of the fuel system can become a problem.

3) The extra octane is insurance. If your engine overheats or has other problems, that extra octane will delay and lessen the severity of pinging while your limp you bike to a place you can stop.

Since I'm getting almost 60 miles to the gallon, the extra cost isn't that noticeable.

The increase in fuel economy saved my ass today as I took a risky move in not stopping for gas on my way back home from Eugene (did a whole round trip without gassing up). I coasted into Sisters after having ridden 330 miles. I don't think I could've ridden that far on 10% Ethanol gas.
thanks for the info, will have to try this

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
just ethanol available here. haven't had any issues with my vehicles though they are likely designed for it. did have a fuel line on my lawn mower disintegrate though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 10% is a national mess, The corn industry has put so much money on the pocket so the elected they pass the mistake on to us. All of the auto makers testified it would ruin the engines. Money talks.
Just be mindful of the pump when you fill up.
Yep. Anytime there's a messed up situation here in the US, just go looking for the lobbyists.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just ethanol available here. haven't had any issues with my vehicles though they are likely designed for it. did have a fuel line on my lawn mower disintegrate though.
Luckily, you're in a fairly dry area.

Maybe that's why they decided to put Erick Schat's Bakkery there. ;-D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Am lucky that we have relatively low cost ethanol-free gas in the mountains of NC. My bike has had only a few tanks of regular in it. Ethanol is toxic for engines in the long term. If the US Presidential primaries did not start in IOWA, ethanol would not exist. It makes no sense from a total environmental point of view or from an engineering point of view. Now they want to jack up the percentage even higher. No logic, just lobbyists.

·
Registered
524 Posts
When I was a teenager l worked in a small engine shop. Ethanol was just starting to show up and boy did it generate business.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
222 Posts
Hidden emmisions

Small bit of information that they do not tell you about ethanol, when burned in your engine an exhaust by product is formaldehyde gas, I bet you lobbyists don't want you to know about that. Horribly toxic stuff. I wont use ethanol blended fuel unless there is no alternative, usually in some small country town.:frown2:

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Fortunate

I have local sources for ethanol-free regular and premium, so I patronize them exclusively. If I had to use ethanol, I'd probably go to one of the additives (like Sta-bil) that clams to negate the problems.
One day in the garage I counted up the number of engines I feed, and came up with a dozen (probably missing some..) and of that number, only one explicitly permits the use of ethanol. All the small engines would be adversely affected. Since both bikes and all three cars are over a decade old, I doubt they'd handle it well, especially since we're seeing some mornings with 90% humidity, and most of them take two weeks to go through a tank.
Personally, I kinda doubt we should even consider ethanol from corn as a 'renewable' fuel. Most studies suggest that farmers consume as much energy , directly and indirectly, in oil as the crop yields in ethanol. Not to count the water consumption and pollution.
Not opposed to those who want to use, just want to have a choice.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Here in Texas they are starting to sell non-ethanol gas in Wal-Marts. Of course none of these are anywhere near me.
But you live in Kerrville, the riding capital of Texas. Nothing else matters :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts