Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Whitehorse,+YT,+Canada&daddr=Dawson,+YT,+Canada+to:State+Hwy+9%2FTop+of+the+World+Hwy+to:Fairbanks,+AK&hl=en&ll=62.69431,-141.240234&spn=6.05552,18.017578&sll=64.136,-141.325808&sspn=0.022465,0.070381&geocode=FSOIngMdMzLz9ymBU7yAmERUUTFLNdBk6rc95A%3BFaZ60QMdnW-w9ym3tfXUy-NIUTH9H61cuXqNSg%3BFXWg0gMdxoOT9w%3BFZJY3QMd2wYy9ympZf1nT0UyUTE69_4J4AXYsw&oq=fairbanks&t=h&gl=us&mra=ps&z=6

My neighbors to the far north...I'm going on an Alaska ride this coming summer from June 20th ish to July 13th ish. We are trying to not double back as much as possible, so I was considering making this part of our route to add some scenery.

Is this road worth doing?

Can bikes take the ferry across the river in Dawson?

What road conditions should I expect?

How much gravel should I expect?

I'm trying to get a good plan down now so I can be prepared. Also just found out my cousin is tagging along on her brand new CBR250R...She's pretty dang tough, and I know she can ride, but I worry about the bikes limitations. We are already planning on riding up to the Arctic Circle.

Thanks guys! :hurray:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey BassBronco-you're picking a great route and if you time it right-you could make the Dust to Dawson event held in Dawson City on the Summer Solstice. That is one heck of a good time.

1) Yes-the road is worth doing
2) Yes-bikes are permitted on the ferry - and, it's FREE!
3) Road Conditions from Dawson to Alaska are going to be "terrible" - just plan for the worst and if it's not raining, lightning, hailing or foggy-you get a bonus!
4) It's 60 miles of gravel/tar and chip and mud from Dawson to the Alaska/Canada border crossing. Then it's 40 miles of dirt to Chicken, Alaska. After that - it's asphalt/loose gravel to Tok, Alaska.

One word of caution-the "dirt" you'll encounter is much like talcum powder. If it rains, and it will rain, it becomes very, very slippery due to the chemicals applied to keep the dust down. A good on/off road tire will work-but it could be very slow going.

As far as the CBR goes-it is more than capable of handling the portion of the trip I addressed, but a good on/off road tire would be an excellent investment. I run Metzler Tourances and they are fine, just be sure to lower your tire pressure if things get muddy.

You won't regret this trip for sure!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I did that on my trip last summer, you don't want to miss it! Top of the world is a blast, and the ferry across the Yukon is cool. Dawson itself didn't do much for me, but the road before and after is great.

·
Registered
269 Posts
just plan for the worst and if it's not raining, lightning, hailing or foggy-you get a bonus!

Well crap, I lucked out!!! July 4 2013 and I had blue sky's and comfortable temps in Prudhoe Bay!!
Now Canada was another story….

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
my cousin is tagging along on her brand new CBR250R
What dual sport tires will fit the CBR? Will they live for the whole trip, or will then need to be replaced along the way? Can you get her some gravel riding practice before you go? How about frame sliders and other protection (that offers real protection) for her bike? Or leave the plastic at home as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I guess I should read the entire question before replying sometimes. :mrgreen:

If Top of The World is dry, she should have no problem. And she obviously has riding experience if she's planning to take this trip? So slow and easy will do it if it is wet. My impression was that TOTW, while more rough, would be much easier to handle than the Dalton when wet, keeping in mind I used Shinkos for the entire trip.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
What dual sport tires will fit the CBR? Will they live for the whole trip, or will then need to be replaced along the way? Can you get her some gravel riding practice before you go? How about frame sliders and other protection (that offers real protection) for her bike? Or leave the plastic at home as much as possible.
K60 or TKC rear and a TKC front and yes they will make the whole trip and another. 4,000+ miles. !!.
Mine are over 10,000 miles and still going strong!!,and did GREAT up and over the Brooks range and back!!.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would

My $0.02 is to leave the CBR at home if you are going up the Dalton. Or rent a bike for that part of the trip. It can be done but I sure would not want to. Have fun

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My $0.02 is to leave the CBR at home if you are going up the Dalton. Or rent a bike for that part of the trip. It can be done but I sure would not want to. Have fun
Not my decision to make...my cousin is a pretty badass chick when it comes down to it, and I know she'll make it just fine...I'm just trying to plan the best route for all of us to enjoy!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure we'll take her out on gravel on that bike before the trip...she's ridden dirt bikes and quads her entire life, on gravel and sand and whatever else there is to ride on...I was thinking of finding some protection for the bike to help her out...I've been looking for dual sport tires, and the front being a 17" wheel is the hardest one to find something for...

I guess I should read the entire question before replying sometimes. :mrgreen:

If Top of The World is dry, she should have no problem. And she obviously has riding experience if she's planning to take this trip? So slow and easy will do it if it is wet. My impression was that TOTW, while more rough, would be much easier to handle than the Dalton when wet, keeping in mind I used Shinkos for the entire trip.
Thanks for the input here, we are for sure riding the dalton up to Arctic circle...I just was going to avoid this leg if it was going to take too long for her to do on her bike...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Last summer the Dalton was dry until we got over the Brooks range.For the most part it was a much better road than the Alaska Hwy ,certainly better then the the hwy around Destruction Bay !!!!!.
And the Artic Circle was around 80 degrees when we were there !!.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts