StromTrooper banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think you mean off pavement not off road.

90/10 ?? - you'd not catch me with those on Alaska's squirmy construction sites and especially if you are thinking of the Dalton addition.
The Mitas 07 are excellent ...reasonable on pavement ....reasonable off pavement. I like the K60s for wear and off pavement but they can be slippery on pavement with that centre strip.
Metzeler Tourance, Michelin Anakee, Bridgestone Battlewing, Conti Attack...all 90/10. All excellent on pavement and decent off pavement (thanks for the correction). And I have gotten around 13k miles out of each of them. The review of the Mitas I read indicated that it wore significantly faster.

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
Metzeler Tourance, Michelin Anakee, Bridgestone Battlewing, Conti Attack...all 90/10. All excellent on pavement and decent off pavement (thanks for the correction). And I have gotten around 13k miles out of each of them. The review of the Mitas I read indicated that it wore significantly faster.
Maybe the new E07, but most certainly not the original as it's one of the longest wearing tires out there. My buddy Steve has run many different/popular 50/50 60/40 tires on his 1200GS, and he now runs the below linked tires and absolutely loves them. Be sure you replace all wheel bearings, check/adjust or replace your steering stem bearings "replace with tapered", and no question your swing arm needle bearings need lubed/serviced and will most certainly need addressed for a trip like that. Beyond what I mentioned and what you regularly do.........don't think/worry about it too much and just get all your gear and routing planned out. :smile2:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/motoz-tractionator-gps-rear-motorcycle-tire-p

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used K60's on my ride to Tuk. After reading some of the reviews I was a little nervous about riding in the rain but I had no issues and I had a lot of rain. 400 miles of rain the first day, 300 the next, 200 miles of rain on the Dempster Highway and rain almost everyday for the rest of the trip.

The tires lasted the full 7800 mile ride and I'm still using them. Front tire wore even, no cupping and looks like it could do the trip again. The rear tire looks like a little car tire but will still last several thousand miles.

The only thing that stopped the rear tire was deep sticky mud on the Dempster Highway but that was stopping everyone, they closed the road.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Maybe the new E07, but most certainly not the original as it's one of the longest wearing tires out there. My buddy Steve has run many different/popular 50/50 60/40 tires on his 1200GS, and he now runs the below linked tires and absolutely loves them. Be sure you replace all wheel bearings, check/adjust or replace your steering stem bearings "replace with tapered", and no question your swing arm needle bearings need lubed/serviced and will most certainly need addressed for a trip like that. Beyond what I mentioned and what you regularly do.........don't think/worry about it too much and just get all your gear and routing planned out. :smile2:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/motoz-tractionator-gps-rear-motorcycle-tire-p

Thanks Brian, this will give us something to discuss next week when you come down to Missouri >:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
No one has answered your ferry question, so here I go.

IF you have never lived on the west coast or near the ocean, I would recommend it. You will see things that are unique and new to you. However, if you live on the west coast, then you might not get as much out of it.

I rode the Alaska State Ferry from Skagway to Bellingham a few years ago. Spectacular scenery, but you are on a tiny ferry for 4+ days. While the views were spectacular, I live on the coast(Vancouver Island) and I've seen it all before on my doorstep. The guys I met from the Utah....they were gobsmacked, blown away by the scenery,never having seen it first hand before.

Maybe that will help you.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts