StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going in early June 2008 with my Dad. We are leaving from Michigan and going up through Canada, Winnipeg, Moosejaw, Yukon, and into Anchorage.

I have 28 years experience on a bike and I ride a fully equipped DL650. My Dad has been riding / racing since he was a kid and will be on his trusty R1200GS, he made the trip to Alaska last year alone.

We are planning to do several 600+ mile days together, sometimes 1000 / day if the conditions are right. We're planning on camping when it's nice weather, using a hotel if it is crappy.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Thinking of the same trip in 08

Live in STL MO, and am thinking of going up with a BMW rider in June/July 08. Still need some side cases to hold all gear necessary. Have driven up to AK in Apr/May 2003 in 6 days, 800 miles day. Would like to try this on my dl650. Have 3 weeks vacation. How long are you planning on taking for this trip?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're planning to do the whole trip in about 20 days. I only have 3 weeks vacation myself. Probably leaving Friday morning of May 30th.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Leaving FL on or about May 21, 08 for Purdhoe Bay, Alaska. I am not in a race but not in love w/ freeways either. First time to AK but not first time on the road. I will be keeping up w/ big BMW/GS. Camping is a must. I will be taking a lot of pix.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Leaving CO sometime late May/early June; will spend a couple of weeks in/around Columbia River Gorge and Seattle. Will ride north starting early July and plan to be in Inuvik mid-late July. From there, west and south into AK (hope to get as far west as Homer) before heading back south and east via Valdez, Cordova, Juneau, PNW, etc. May take a (short) ferry south through the Inside Passage if the mood strikes.

I have roughly six weeks to do the PNW/Yukon/Inuvik/AK/PNW part of the trip. Leisurely pace with time for sightseeing and back roads exploring. Am planning to get off the bike for day trips to fish, hike, etc. Will camp when the weather's good and stay in hotels when I need clean sheets, a hot shower, and a break from the rain and mosquitoes.

Will post as plans firm up. Would be great to meet up with other stromtroopers as convenient.

·
Registered
9 Posts
PonchoV:

If you get to Prudhoe before the end of June you will be entirely too early. I work at Prudhoe for one of your friendly petrol producers and can tell you that winter does not let go until then. Go down on the Kenai Peninsula and check it out for awhile before heading up the pipe.

Gringo Loco

1 - 9 of 9 Posts