StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone riden to Alaska and back? I am looking at planning a trip with my brother....to ride from Denver, CO to Alaska....and back.

Just looking for advice, secrets, learned lessons, tips....etc.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've done it many times...lived in AK for ten years and usually headed to the Lesser 48 in the summer. It really is not such a big deal. You'll always have services within your tank range, with the exception of the Haul Road and the Dempster. Be sure your bike is in tip-top shape...biggest threat would be a catastrophic failure of some sort, in which case you'd need to haul your machine to Fairbanks, Anchorage or Whitehorse (Yukon).

Get yourself a "Milepost", prepare to ride on gravel in construction zones, plan your lodging/camping well (touristas in the summer), and enjoy the scenery. Oh yeah...prepare for weather extremes...you know about the cold and wet, but it can also get very hot in the Interior.

sul

·
Registered
253 Posts
Check out the "advrider.com" forum. Ride reports and upcoming forums have tons of info on the Alaska trip. It's a great ride and you will enjoy it, I did! :-D

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been thinking about this, too, for the last year or so. Right now I'm thinking about taking the ferry up and back for the view and since I always have stuff along the Canadians do not approve of. Anybody had experience on the ferry?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep...lived in both Juneau and Kodiak...had to take ferry. Bring a couple of straps to secure your bike down on the car deck, and if you want to splurge and get a stateroom, make your reservations early. If you don't need a stateroom, they can ALMOST always accommodate motorcycles without a reservation.

The ferry up (or down) the inside passage is a fantastic trip...poor man's Alaska cruise. The scenery is magnificent.

Even if you ferry up, you will still pass through Canadian Customs if you intend to ride anywhere in the Interior...look at the map.

I've been thinking about this, too, for the last year or so. Right now I'm thinking about taking the ferry up and back for the view and since I always have stuff along the Canadians do not approve of. Anybody had experience on the ferry?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts