StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salutations --

I've given up on my Xena alarm. The company is great, and definitely stands behind these devices; they have been good about sending me replacement modules. Unfortunately, it's not useful to me if it's not reliable, and while the Xena locks are great, the alarm modules are the most unreliable pieces of crap I've ever dealt with. I've had three go the same way in the past year: they become utterly insensitive to movement, but will alarm randomly while sitting still; possibly a fun prank, but not very useful.

I'm looking at other alarm systems, and the two that seem popular are the Scorpio and Gorilla. One thing the Xena had going for it was that it ran on its own power, so there's no chance of it draining the bike's battery, either while on standby or while sounding repeated alarms, erroneously or otherwise. It doesn't look like either the Scorpio or Gorilla are designed to run that way, though some models do appear to have battery backup.

Can anyone suggest a solution that meets this requirement? Alternatively, I could figure out how to build a little voltage threshold circuit that cuts power to the alarm when battery voltage drops too low.

Cheers -d

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That brings up an interesting point. With as many people as there are posting V-Strom related information here, at VSRI and at ADVrider from all over the world, I don't remember anyone reporting a bike theft.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
That brings up an interesting point. With as many people as there are posting V-Strom related information here, at VSRI and at ADVrider from all over the world, I don't remember anyone reporting a bike theft.

LOL, does that tell us all something? Maybe we have bikes that only an owner could love?

You are right though, I've never heard of someone going to the trouble to steal a strom...either variety!

jeff

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Scorpio is a good one. I have one on my VFR and it does a good job. The shock sensitivity isn't that great but it could be in where I've got it mounted to. I have the battery backup as well as the proximity sensor. There were times last winter when I didn't ride that bike for a couple of weeks and I didn't have any problems with it pulling the battery down.

I have a Viper on my V-Strom and do not recommend that one as highly. It works pretty well but I had a lot of problems initially because of a bad unit. I eventually got them sorted out though. Quiescent current draw is a lot higher than the Scorpio but still not too bad. It will pull the battery down a noticeable amount in a week or so.

I'm less worried about someone stealing my bike than I am about the things on it. The Viper has a closed loop trigger, much like the closed loops used on electronics in stores. Unplug the loop and the alarm goes off. I have a wire I run through the buckles on my tail bag so if someone breaks the loop the alarm goes off. The proximity sensor on the Scorpio is adjustable and I have it set so that it starts chirping when someone is within a few feet of the bike. If they get any closer it goes off.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
LoJack

I'm less worried about someone stealing my bike than I am about the things on it.
My dealer tried to sell me LoJack. I passed, thinking if the bike gets stolen, I get a new one. Then I started farkling and my insurance doesn't have any extra coverage available. Now I'm rethinking the alarm situation.

According to LoJack "Motorcycle theft is a big problem - nearly 61,000 bikes were stolen in 2008 - that's more than $404 million in losses. Since 2006, there have been more than 186,000 motorcycle thefts."

R.I.P. (Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had good luck with the Talon T-3300 on my K9Wee...solid product so far...good service from Brad VanSickle...proximity turned down to lowest setting-allows approach but no touch and has not drained battery. Small LED warn light installed in front deck is a bit washed out in sunlight but audible alarm is clearly sufficient to warn off.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah ... that's why I like ugly bikes. :)

It's not a common theft target, nor is my area unusually high risk. The reason I want an alarm is because I don't always have much choice about where I stay on road trips, and a theft while I'm on the road would be way beyond inconvenient. On the risk assessment quadrangle, that's a low-likelihood, high-cost risk; and since it doesn't cost much to mitigate significantly, it's worth the expenditure.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I decided to try the Scorpio 500i (which appears to be a naked SR-i300). I ordered the perimeter sensor, but not the ignition disabler. I will continue to use the Xena lock as an immobilizer, and since it will no longer warn me that I forgot it, I've put yellow tape on it.

As a bonus, the perimeter sensor will make a fabulous bear-warning device when I'm camping in the forest. :) :)

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I have the scorpio and love it....it gets everyones attention when it goes off. The motion detector setting is great when your at a hotel or if you park it with your expensive bags on it to shop or eat somewhere...also has a remote that lights up and vibrates when someone is messing with it. So its not just for getting the whole bike stolen its also for whats on the bike...:D

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use a Scorpio 600i alarm with ignition disable, perimeter sensor and backup battery. Overall a good alarm. Excellent range on the remote. The alarm does not appear to be a big drain on the battery. A few things could be improved. The perimeter sensor appears to have two settings, not sensitive enough and too sensitive. The remote battery life is abysmal.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I guess you've already found your alarm, but there is one that hasn't been mentioned. The Cyclone 866F is a pretty solid unit...so long as it doesn't get wet.

1. Tilt sensor (omnidirectional)
2. Shock sensor (dual stage)
3. Starter-immobilizer
4. AMAZING backup battery (as in 2 hour full stage siren kind of amazing)
5. Closed loop trigger
6. Optional pager system
7. Fully digital sensors (won't wear over time due to vibration)

I had this sucker all wired up to my wife's bike and ready to get it in mine as well. Unfortunately, it rained like mad for a few days and all of the water that made it under the seat pooled on the alarm (and nowhere else, I might add). That messed with the tilt sensor at first and kept setting it off, so I eventually disabled that one and ran without it. Then it got at the starter-immobilizer, and I couldn't even start the bike (since it thought it was being stolen), and eventually the siren itself. Ripped the thing out the next day.

Horror story aside, it worked VERY well all the way until it got wet, and on the Strom I don't think I'd have that problem. The shock sensor in particular was great. I would flick the exhaust pipe (Ninja 500) and get warning chirps. Any more than that and you had better cover your ears. 120 dB less than a foot away HURTS!

Super small (less than the size of 2 packs of cigarettes), easy installation (if you know your bike's wiring).

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Thanks for a useful thread

Much more informative than how often do you clean & lube your chain.

Thanks!

R.I.P. (Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've given up on my Xena alarm. The company is great, and definitely stands behind these devices; they have been good about sending me replacement modules.
More bad news: I see that xenasecurity.com no longer lists a US distributor contact. There's only a Hong Kong address with an 852 phone number. No thanks.

This little lock/alarm combo is awfully convenient. It's unfortunate that the QC is so lacking, and equally unfortunate that there's no longer a domestic phone number for service. It was the US guy in Florida that had been so helpful and sent me a bunch of replacements to try.

Bummer.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Scorpio OEM-500i: first impressions

The good:

- it works as advertised.

- it's freakishly loud.

- it fits well in the underseat tray, taking up less room than I thought it would.

- the thoughtful features, such as silent arming and arming without perimeter sensor, are very welcome.

The bad:

- remote control battery was DOA, and this oddball 27a isn't one you can just buy at the grocery store. I had to order one, and it took me a week to get it.

- the $24 "factory connector" for the V-Strom -- 4020-0014 -- doesn't fit my '08 DL650. The turn signal connectors are wrong. They look close, but they don't work. I trimmed a bunch of plastic off Scorpio's connector housing, as much as I could without risking a short, and they still simply do not fit. I will contact Scorpio and complain about that. I'm probably out the $24, though, because I modified it.

The unconventional:

- I decided against cutting into the turn signal wires to work around the harness problem. Instead, I wired the turn signal lead into my auxiliary fuse box, so now it flashes my Givi case tail lights and my Whelan running lights -- all of which are low-draw LEDs -- and I like that just fine. This also means that, with the exception of the signaling lead for my switched-power relay -- which I got by adding a lead to the tail light bundle at the wire nut, requiring no cutting -- I still have no accessories whatsoever attached to the bike's own harness directly, which I also like ... bonus.

- I will leave the perimeter sensor disconnected most of the time. I won't use that in the city, since I think that's obnoxious; my intent is to experiment with it as a nighttime warning device when camping in remote areas, where anything it detects probably warrants my attention. It operates on microwaves, and it's right under my crotch, so I just don't want any chance of it emitting energy unless I want it to. Call me paranoid. ;-)

I've only bench-tested all the alarm modes in the basement so far (wearing ear protection!), and tested arming/disarming installed on the bike. I don't want to disturb the peace in the neighborhood by playing around with it outside, so I'll ride out someplace tomorrow and do the sensitivity adjustments and whatnot.

I'll let you know what I hear from Scorpio. Other than the aforementioned annoyances, it's a pretty nice unit, and seems very well made.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remote range

Oh, forgot to ask -- you guys that have a Scorpio alarm on a Strom, where'd you route the antenna? I have mine taped under the tail cap right behind the seat, running perpendicular to the direction of the bike. Range is passable, but could definitely be better. I'm not sure where else to put it, though; there's really no way to get it vertical, which I'd really like. Horizontal behind one of the side panels would be easy, but would probably bias the reception to one side due to the metal frame running alongside it. If it was longer, I'd put it up front, vertical in the cowling.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Oh, forgot to ask -- you guys that have a Scorpio alarm on a Strom, where'd you route the antenna? I have mine taped under the tail cap right behind the seat, running perpendicular to the direction of the bike. Range is passable, but could definitely be better. I'm not sure where else to put it, though; there's really no way to get it vertical, which I'd really like. Horizontal behind one of the side panels would be easy, but would probably bias the reception to one side due to the metal frame running alongside it. If it was longer, I'd put it up front, vertical in the cowling.
Under the seat is the best place for protection,im not sure it would change the range or not....here's mine.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Ultra cheap bike alarm

I just bought my first Vee, and I am looking for cheap, I mean "cost-effective" answers to all aspects of riding. This product http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33475 looks identical to what Voltar had found, but with a 40 sec alarm suspend. I ordered two, one for the bike and one for my jacket and pants that will sometimes be cabled to the bike. I am going to skip the disk lock, because I figure it is redundant to the steering head lock, and the losers can just lift the front tire off the ground anyway as they roll the bike onto a transport vehicle. Can anyone make a strong argument for why I need a disk lock?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I put my lock on the rear disk.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks. Yep, with the forks locked and the rear disk blocked, good luck rolling the bike around. I imagine most people, and certainly I, would absolutely have to use a reminder cord to remove the disk lock, or damage would follow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts