StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yall- I ordered a set of the Akrapovic SPs from ADV Motostuff for my 06 DL1000. Anybody else got 'em?

I went with the Akras after I had the Leo Vince's last year on the bike and didn't really like the tone too much. I know the Leo's are mui popular and the Akras are not so much - probably because of cost I'm guessing.

Will post pics when I get them - should be here by tomorrow.

Scott

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
What was it you didn't like about the sound of the leo's?

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Yes, please do, and if you had a decent audio... I have not been able to hear their true sound yet. I am even willing to call you on the phone so that I can hear them "live".
Good luck

Fernando

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What was it you didn't like about the sound of the leo's?
For one they were too loud. OK keep in mind I pretty finicky and am a bit older in the grand scheme of things, but this was my impression. Now of course I don't know actual db to db how the Leo's and the Akras compare - but I will know tomorrow he he :).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I look forward to seeing the pics, every Akra pipe I've ever seen was a thing of beauty. I'm sure they'll look outstanding.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
Leo's too loud????:rolleyes: I think hearing that is a first for me. The Akras are gonna sound about the same as the leo's....nice and deep. Baffles out of the Leos' and they are louder, but less than most others IMHO. Enjoys the Akra's they are great cans. I doubt you will be happy with any aftermarket system, sport twin engines have a very unique sound compared to other engines out there. Best of luck to ya!!!!;)

·
Registered
765 Posts
How do the Leo's or Akra compare in db to the Two Brothers. I have Two B and they are loud, especially at highway speed. I love the gowl but.... If you put my hand over the end it quiets down. I have not heard in person the Leos' or Akra on a V.

I was at the T.B booth at the M/C Dealer Show in Indy and asked a guy about that subject. He said it may need to be re-packed.

aaaaa Dude, the end cap is rivoted on.

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
How do the Leo's or Akra compare in db to the Two Brothers. I have Two B and they are loud, especially at highway speed. I love the gowl but.... If you put my hand over the end it quiets down. I have not heard in person the Leos' or Akra on a V.

I was at the T.B booth at the M/C Dealer Show in Indy and asked a guy about that subject. He said it may need to be re-packed.

aaaaa Dude, the end cap is rivoted on.
Two bros are loud "straight out of the box". The rivets get drilled out, and then you wrap the packing around the core. A rivet press/tool pops the new ones back in the holes.

I'm a little confused at what "allot" of strom owners are expecting as far as sound goes, when it comes to aftermarket exhausts. YES it is going to be louder than stock "DUH", but it is also going to look sexier and save some weight. I recommend the Staintunes as far as the most quiet exhausts go, but your gonna pay big bucks for them.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Sorry Big B, but the Staintunes without the restricters are every bit as loud as the Two Bro's. I've heard them side by side and could hardly tell any difference between them. My nephew had a 05 sv1000s ( I say "had"...it was stolen a year ago this month) with M4's on it and they were real sweet!!! Not to loud but real deep thump you in the chest kind of note. If M4 made them for the Strom I'd have a set.
I haven't heard any other pipes than the Staintunes and the Two Bros. I guess I'll have to make down to N.C. the end of June so I can hear some Leo's .....

Rich

·
Registered
765 Posts
DUH?.
I know they are @(!&@* louder then stock. "DUH". I bought the bike with them installed. I did not really expereince the noise until a long ride once I bought it. So don't "DUH" me!!!!

I am asking some one with subjective experience since I am a Newby. NOT to be insulted.

I would consider buying a different set to lessen the noise, yet save the weight and still have a throtty sound over stock.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yall- I ordered a set of the Akrapovic SPs from ADV Motostuff for my 06 DL1000. Anybody else got 'em?

I went with the Akras after I had the Leo Vince's last year on the bike and didn't really like the tone too much. I know the Leo's are mui popular and the Akras are not so much - probably because of cost I'm guessing.

Will post pics when I get them - should be here by tomorrow.

Scott

Well, how do you like em?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, how do you like em?
Put em on yesterday - about a 45 minute deal. I like them! They are a bit louder than stock, but give the bike a nice tone. I have not tried them yet w/o the baffles out. They came with a EU certificate saying they are legal for the noise restrictions for aftermarket pipes(I think that is 92db). The fit and finish is awesome - they are works of beauty. Compared to the Leo's, which I did have a set last year, I prefer the Akras. They are not as loud, and they seem to be a bit better built. And - so far, I have not noticed any 'issues' with the new pipes as far as the motor spittin' or coughin' due to the pipe now making the bike run extra lean.

Scott

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Any aftermarket exhaust is going to be louder than stock. That's kind of the whole POINT of buying them.

Any aftermarket pipe without baffles in it (removeable or not) is going to be about the same volume. I've heard Yosh, 2 Bros, Leo's, Muzzy, Custom gut-jobs, WHATEVER... it's all the same. Baffles in is another game altogether. But if you've got 2" perf-core straight pipes, inside a can with packing wrapped around it, it doesn't matter WHAT name is on the can. It's going to sound like an un-muffled 1000cc L-Twin. In other words - LOUD. And it will get louder as the packing starts to disintegrate over time.

Tone is a very subjective term and a growling, raspy exhaust like 2Bros or D&D will sound great to some, while a deeper, mellower "tone" (Leo's, Yosh, Akra, Staintune) with some of the high-end frequencies reduced, is what appeals to others.

Like B, I also do not understand folks who buy aftermarket exhaust and then state "they are too loud". I thought it was obvious that ANY aftermarket system is going to be louder. Pretty much common sense, IMO. Personally, unless Yosh starts making pipes for the DL, I think the Leo's, Holeshots, and Staintunes are the nicest "tonal" exhausts (I've never heard the Akra's in person, only recordings). The beauty of the Leo's and the reason I recommend them so highly, is that they come with 2 additional baffles that you can use to "tailor" the sound to your liking. Anyone who think the Leo's with the baffles and plates installed is too loud, obviously never spent any time listening to the stock exhaust. And that's not a subjective opinion, that setup is meant to meet EU exhaust specs and those are the same ones the stock exhausts are designed to meet. In other words - they are the same volume.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Any aftermarket exhaust is going to be louder than stock. That's kind of the whole POINT of buying them.

Any aftermarket pipe without baffles in it (removeable or not) is going to be about the same volume. I've heard Yosh, 2 Bros, Leo's, Muzzy, Custom gut-jobs, WHATEVER... it's all the same. Baffles in is another game altogether. But if you've got 2" perf-core straight pipes, inside a can with packing wrapped around it, it doesn't matter WHAT name is on the can. It's going to sound like an un-muffled 1000cc L-Twin. In other words - LOUD. And it will get louder as the packing starts to disintegrate over time.

Tone is a very subjective term and a growling, raspy exhaust like 2Bros or D&D will sound great to some, while a deeper, mellower "tone" (Leo's, Yosh, Akra, Staintune) with some of the high-end frequencies reduced, is what appeals to others.

Like B, I also do not understand folks who buy aftermarket exhaust and then state "they are too loud". I thought it was obvious that ANY aftermarket system is going to be louder. Pretty much common sense, IMO. Personally, unless Yosh starts making pipes for the DL, I think the Leo's, Holeshots, and Staintunes are the nicest "tonal" exhausts (I've never heard the Akra's in person, only recordings). The beauty of the Leo's and the reason I recommend them so highly, is that they come with 2 additional baffles that you can use to "tailor" the sound to your liking. Anyone who think the Leo's with the baffles and plates installed is too loud, obviously never spent any time listening to the stock exhaust. And that's not a subjective opinion, that setup is meant to meet EU exhaust specs and those are the same ones the stock exhausts are designed to meet. In other words - they are the same volume.
Well as you said tone, and I would add volume, are subjective to the each persons ears and experience. Therefore, and I don't think you get this, folks can purchase an aftermarket pipe and feel it is too loud once they have got it on the bike. Do a search on the board for "too loud" and you'll see many riders who have had this experience and in their opinion, and in their ears - it is too loud. I've had both the Leo's and the Akras on the same bike and I can tell you there is a difference. In my opinion, the Akras are less 'loud' and produce a better tone than the Leo's and the Akras are slighty louder and produce a better tone than the stock cans. Can you here me now? :)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I quite "get it" ZW. If you want to debate volume and tone with me, first understand I'm a professional musician/engineer/producer. My life (and income) is based on the proper recording, manipulation, and mixing of sounds. Everything from studio recordings with condenser mics so sensitive you can hear your toes moving inside your shoes, to 10,000 watt outdoor festivals with PA systems so big you need a 14 foot truck to load them in. So I have just a *bit* of experience in this area. ;)

Volume is NOT subjective. It can be measured with a db meter and it is what it is. A person's sensitivity to volume IS subjective, with different people having varied thresholds as to what they consider "acceptable" in regards to loudness. Trust me, I deal with this on a nightly basis!

Tone is a completely different matter.

You are talking about pipes with the baffles IN. I was talking about pipes with the baffles OUT. Which is a distinct difference. Different brands have varying sounds based on what they use to baffle the pipes. All aftermarket pipes without baffles are going to have approximately the same volume. Why? Because there is nothing in the way of the exhaust noise coming from the engine itself. It's a straight pipe from the header to the end of the pipe. The tone will be different, depending on the can (CF, Stainless, Aluminum) and the packing material used, but the VOLUME will stay virtually the same. At least, when the pipes are new. Depending on how many miles are on them, and how much packing is left - they will get louder as time goes on. So a new set of Leo's is going to be much quieter than a set with 15k miles on them.

We all know that there is no real HP gain from changing the exhaust on a Strom. There is a weight savings, but as far as a reason to buy new exhaust, it's all about the looks, and the SOUND. That's why I fail to understand why people buy aftermarket exhaust and then complain about them being "too loud". For what other reason did you buy them? :? There are even folks on this site who think the Leo's with the baffles IN are too loud. They are virtually the same volume as stock. They both meet the same EU noise standards. So again, it's a matter of tone, not volume. As far as a DB meter reads - the baffled Leo's are the same volume as the baffled Akra's. Read the labels. They both meet the same specs. If you like the tone better - that's great! I'm glad you are happy with your purchase and I never said otherwise! :D But as far as volume - there may be a difference in tone, depending on what Akra uses as a baffle (how long, wide, etc). I think most of what you are hearing is the the fact that your Leo's sounded louder because they have a full season of riding on them. Guess what your Akra's are going to sound like next season? Yup. Louder than they are now. Unless you re-pack yearly, this will happen to every set of pipes you ever own. Only Scorpion claims to have "lifetime packing". Jury is still out on that. They use steel packing material (think steel wool) instead of spun fiberglass. I'm sure it lasts longer, but I doubt it's all still there after 20-30k miles.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of what they think "sounds the best". Most people perceive volume as being louder when certain frequencies are more prominent (mid-range and high end, between 1k and 14k). Those are the frequencies that the human ear is most sensitive to. But the actual volume doesn't change - and that's the difference between tone and volume. Remove certain frequencies, and most folks will say "it got quieter". It didn't. Just the frequencies that you are more sensitive to were reduced and it seemed quieter. This is what happens inside an exhaust can as the packing starts to disintegrate and blow out. The mid-range and hi-end frequencies that are somewhat muted by the packing begin to emerge and the cans get "louder" to the untrained ear. In extreme cases, where almost all the packing is gone, the can does, in fact, get louder. The amount of packing is reduced so much that the can basically acts as a giant resonating chamber! So not only are the mid and hi-range frequencies being allowed to pass, but the whole muffler amplifies the exhaust sound.

And yes, I can "here" you fine. :p

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
kiss kiss hug hug

DUH?.
I know they are @(!&@* louder then stock. "DUH". I bought the bike with them installed. I did not really expereince the noise until a long ride once I bought it. So don't "DUH" me!!!!

I am asking some one with subjective experience since I am a Newby. NOT to be insulted.

I would consider buying a different set to lessen the noise, yet save the weight and still have a throtty sound over stock.
Alrighty then..... easy now......lets not go pissing on eachother.;) Sorry my "duh" insulted you or your intelligence, wasn't my intentions. I answered a question about the repacking of cans, and began to ramble. I just don't see any good reason for people to buy aftermarket exhausts, thinking that they are gonna sound like a fart. I know that you bought your Strom with 2 Bros installed, and you realize that they can be a bit noisy after a while. Hopefully I somewhat answered your repacking question....ignore the rest.

There are more quiet options out there....and examples have been given.
once again MONKEYGRASS speaks the good word!:cool:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Maybe re-packing will help. There are not alot of miles on the bike, 5200 and don't know when they were installed. Not many miles I know so re-packing should not be needed.

I wish they were re-buildable like MX cans which are bolted together instead of rivoted. Taking something apart that is not easily intended to, is, very slightly, a concern. I am very capable though.

I have put my hand over the end to kind of muffle it and it makes a noticable differnence so it's the accoustics right out of the tail piece. Monkey, sounds as if you may understand accoustically why.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts