StromTrooper banner

Akrapovic exhaust, died when decelerating

2892 Views 19 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  007650
I fitted an Akrapovic exhaust over the weekend, and loving it :hurray::hurray:

Bike has a little more torque down low (which I define as 3000 to 3500 rpm), and sounds fantastic!!

However, it also definitely has less back pressure when gearing down. I guess there is less resistance. I left the DB killer in, sounds good enough that way to me without being too loud.

This morning when I left home for my daily commute and got to the first traffic light after about 2km, the Wee died when I was slowing down and pulled in the clutch. Started right away again after I came to a complete stop. I checked it at the next few lights, and looked like the rpms would drop to about 800 or so when I pull in the clutch, and then make its way back up to the normal 1,300. Once the heat is up to 3 bars, I had no issues. Even after a freeway blast of about 30km at 120km/h this evening I had no issues when stopping at the offramp traffic lights.

It is a 2011 I bought in March this year. It has just under 7,000km on the clock. I have never had any running issues of any kind prior to installing the exhaust. Does this mean I need to think about changing the air filter?

PS: I am not a mechanical master mind like many here, so please use Wee words :biggrinjester:
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
Did you do anything else, bypass the clutch switch maybe? The '07 and up Wees have electronically controlled idle speeds.

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
If it happens again, the fuel might be bad. It's under warranty I take it.

· Registered
211 Posts
If the Strom is like any other fuel injected vehicle I have owned the computer needs to relearn the fuel/air ratio after a change like that. Since you said it only did it once maybe it has gone through the process and will be good now.

· $tromtrooper
829 Posts
Is this a slip on system? From the website looks like a complete system from the cylinders to the tail. What happens to the cats?

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is called a slip on, but replaced everything with the exception of the header pipes. No cat..... Means it weighs a lot less, i could not believe the difference.

I have done a few things to my bike, and this is my favourite so far :thumbup:

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds fantastic. I still have the DB killer in. Not too loud, but a much deeper sound, has a pair of nuts now :biggrinjester:

I am tempted to take th DB killer out this weekend to hear what the difference is, but I do not want it to be too much.

Also looks a LOT better without all that plastic. I am very happy with my purchase.

· Registered
5 Posts
Sounds fantastic. I still have the DB killer in. Not too loud, but a much deeper sound, has a pair of nuts now :biggrinjester:

I am tempted to take th DB killer out this weekend to hear what the difference is, but I do not want it to be too much.

Also looks a LOT better without all that plastic. I am very happy with my purchase.
I put the same "slip on" on my '09 last week. Saturday, I pulled out the db killer. Personally, I like it. It opens it up nicely. It has a mini VFR sound at lower rpms. As you run through the gears harder on the gas, it sounds like a race quad. After about 7500rpm, I can't tell which is screaming louder, the pipe or the engine! I only noticed my rpms get real low one time when downshifting cold. It might have stalled if I didn't let the clutch out again. Really on the fence about a Power Commander for it.

· Registered
128 Posts
To meet emmisions, modern vehicles are programmed on the lean side of the scale, changing to a more free flowing exhaust, allows more air to flow, and generally makes the bike even leaner, since when it gets hot, the problem goes away, then I would guess it's too lean.

Also being too lean hurts throttle response, HP/ torque etc. I am not sure about your specific bike, but mine does not have an O2 sensor, and cannot "learn" and adjust air fuel. You can get some decent gains in midrange power, combining your exhaust and an aftermarket programmer and some tuning.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To meet emmisions, modern vehicles are programmed on the lean side of the scale, changing to a more free flowing exhaust, allows more air to flow, and generally makes the bike even leaner, since when it gets hot, the problem goes away, then I would guess it's too lean.

Also being too lean hurts throttle response, HP/ torque etc. I am not sure about your specific bike, but mine does not have an O2 sensor, and cannot "learn" and adjust air fuel. You can get some decent gains in midrange power, combining your exhaust and an aftermarket programmer and some tuning.
Mine has the O2 sensor, and it is provided for in the new system. I have no more running issues, even seems to be running a little better now that the DB killer is out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.