StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up an 05 DL1000 on Saturday (not in my garage yet, stupid snow) and I'm starting a build up for an AK trip in July of 2013. Luckily I've got a big head start, here's the list of current mods:
-Remus pipes and PCIII with custom tune
-Russell saddle
-GSXR front brakes, braided brake and clutch lines
-Progressive fork springs, rear shock redone by Sasquatch
-Protaper Contour ATV grips, Rox risers, heated grips
-CalSci XL windshield (probably trading out, too tall for me)
-Heat troller and speedo healer

My short list of parts on the way or about to be ordered:
-Happy Trails Cascade Panniers
-Givi Engine Guards
-Yann's skid plate and raising links

Open to suggestion on the rest, leaning towards a Wolfman Rainier tank bag and I've already got a Cabelas dry duffle for my soft stuff. What am I missing?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I did a thread when I built my Wee for Alaska this spring:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/61810-ak-bike-wee-build-thread.html

You don't really need the raising links for riding roads in Alaska, but go for it if it'll make you feel more comfortable on the bike (ie, if you're tall).

I really enjoyed my handguards in addition to heated grips. We got lucky with weather, but still saw some rain in the low 40s, and you get cold FAST.

My Stich was perfectly waterproof.

My sidi waterproof boots were NOT AT ALL.

My perforated leather gloves, even less so -- I just ran thin nitrile gloves under them, which worked fine, except in the aforementioned low-40s rainstorms where heated grips on high were not quite enough.

I'd consider a heated vest or jacket liner -- if you don't get one, make sure you at least have warm waterproof gloves that fit well.

We had no real roadside issues, so no huge cautionary tale from me. You'll need to get your tires changed along the way -- I recommend adventure cycleworks in fairbanks. Check out the UAF dorms for cheap dry housing in Fairbanks as well.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Assume you are stocking up on a few spares (shift lever, oil filter, etc) for the scooter and/or tire patch kit and air pump?? Maybe a headlight guard if you are riding the Haul Road (due to big trucks = flying gravel)?? Camping or Moteling??

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Get a Camp Mor catalog

Lots of good stuff and waterproofing foot stuff and gaiters

Also some kind of fender extender for the front

Health age of charging system and a brandy new battery
If she has like 30000 miles you might swap the R/R with Shindegen. Its to expensive to PM the stator and rotor but it would be nice to know where they stock them

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't really need the raising links for riding roads in Alaska, but go for it if it'll make you feel more comfortable on the bike (ie, if you're tall).

I really enjoyed my handguards in addition to heated grips. We got lucky with weather, but still saw some rain in the low 40s, and you get cold FAST.

I'd consider a heated vest or jacket liner -- if you don't get one, make sure you at least have warm waterproof gloves that fit well.

We had no real roadside issues, so no huge cautionary tale from me. You'll need to get your tires changed along the way -- I recommend adventure cycleworks in fairbanks. Check out the UAF dorms for cheap dry housing in Fairbanks as well.
Thanks for the build link, I'll be perusing whilst sipping some good beer tonight :D. I'm 6'2" so I think the links are the right choice. Forgot to mention, bike does have stock handguards and I'm budgeting for heated liners for the jacket and pants and probably heated gloves. Staying at UAF for sure on both sides of the Dalton, thanks for the recommendation on the shop, I think I have a friend of a friend there.

Assume you are stocking up on a few spares (shift lever, oil filter, etc) for the scooter and/or tire patch kit and air pump?? Maybe a headlight guard if you are riding the Haul Road (due to big trucks = flying gravel)?? Camping or Moteling??
Doing at least 2 oil changes, thinking about a chain/sprocket set too and misc other spares. Definitely a plug kit and a pump (leftovers from my KLR ride last summer). Headlight guard isn't a bad call, who makes the metal one? Thinking half camping, half moteling/ADV camping.

You might want a throttle lock of some type:

Kaoko - Cruise Controls
Budgeting for the Kaoko already, a bit concerned on the bars though, they're extra wide as is so I'll need to hack them up to make it work. Might go with a cheaper option...

Get a Camp Mor catalog

Lots of good stuff and waterproofing foot stuff and gaiters

Also some kind of fender extender for the front

Health age of charging system and a brandy new battery
If she has like 30000 miles you might swap the R/R with Shindegen. Its to expensive to PM the stator and rotor but it would be nice to know where they stock them
I've got my camping gear already. 37k miles so I'll give it a thorough look through and shakedown before departing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can't be the only one who thought that this was going to be a thread on someone's AK-47 or AK-74 build, right???

·
Registered
808 Posts
Pretty easy to snap a clutch / brake lever on a drop. Might consider some sort of Barkbuster configuration. :yesnod:
That was kind of my logic with the Barkbusters; my Wee came with a pre-broken brake lever, so I used it as an excuse to get some Pazzo shorties (which probably would not break in a drop), and then also some Barkbusters.

OTOH, I consider the best feature of the hand guards the fact that they keep the cold weather off your hands.. at least for a trip like this. But yeah, the more solid ones definitely protect the levers in a drop.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Back in the day we always had a throttle cable as the only one if missing you couldn't get home

Campmor has real gators etc for the dirt/mud splashing up

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's everyone's opinion on centerstands? I've got a trail stand for my DR and it's been rumored that they work with Stroms, but I like the simplicity of a center stand. Don't like the lost ground clearance though...

Panniers arrived today, stoked to put them on. Ordered some Givi guards too and probably ordering the skid plate and links tonight.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You won't regret a center stand. One of the top 5 Farkles for the strom.:thumbup:

·
Registered
808 Posts
What's everyone's opinion on centerstands? I've got a trail stand for my DR and it's been rumored that they work with Stroms, but I like the simplicity of a center stand. Don't like the lost ground clearance though...
My skid plate scrapes, my centerstand does not. Definitely worth it.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
My experience.

If you're "particular" about clean air in your motor I might (in hindsight) have brought an extra air filter. Michigan to Fairbanks (via the Mackenzie Hwy and Liard Trail) gathered a good 3/4 cup a'crap n'bugs. Northern Powersports luckily had 1 in stock, and though its a bigger dealership, I think it was lucky they had one.

The tire thing. When you get to the UAF "Haul Road Staging Area," you'll likely run into two types of riders who've recently done The Road: Some will have ridden it on street (90/10's, seriously?) tires and dry conditions, and they'll tell you the seriousness of the Haul Road is overrated ("no big deal" i once heard). The other type of rider you'll likely encounter will be the x-military KLR with knobbies who rode the road wet, and he'll tell you (with an exhausted shake of his head) that it was hellaciously slick. I switched to TKC's for the haul road, and while it was sunny and dry for the duration, I never regretted taking the precaution, and they actually helped when I got into the bush near Talkeetna. Not sure what you like, but if you want to spend a few days off the beaten path panning for gold, slucing, or even high-banking with the bears PM me for some details.

But I digress. This is a farkle list.

I'll second the extra throttle cable. Brought one but didn't need it. Don't take much space though.

I'll also second the heated grips. Talking to a stop sign holder on the haul road in early August, the guy says "this time last year there was 6 inches of snow on the road here." Didn't use them on the haul road, but did use them south of Anchorage.
Also brought a heated "bib" but didn't use it. Cheap, and compact for just in case.

Another thing I did was double up on the oil cooler screen. Just bought a second one and it fit in the existing mount. Can't say how effective it may or may not be, but it was an easy extra little something.

I brought a tube of motorcycle Slime, a plug kit with CO2, and air pump. Maybe you already do this though. Cheap, easy, and it MIGHT help for a non-catestrophic flat. Is Slime a farkle? Forgive me if I'm getting off topic and suggesting stuff you already know. Cable aint hooked up yet and there aint squat on the antenna tv.

The motorcycle. Right. Not sure how your panniers mount (I have Givi) but I'd suggest considering the possibility of having to somehow re-attach one of your side panniers. A muddy dirt road in Canada dislodged my L side box and while I was glad to have bungees, I wished I'd brought a spare "pyramid" mount thing. That's for givi bags though.

I brought vice grips for a spare clutch/brake lever. 50:50 chance of working after a break off.

I put a little extra reflective tape on the back of the side cases...

Oh, brake pads! Dealers might not stock them. Haul road mud will shredd those things. Had to replace my fronts after the haul road, even though it was basically dry. That crap gets in there. Had to wait an extra day for front pads to come in. Again, compact, and its not like you'll never use them.

I did bring a spare chain. Didn't have to use it, but damn they're heavy, and what if a sprocket gets jacked up when the chain snaps off? Bring sprockets? Not sure the precautions worth the weight.

Yep, I'm just typing this for my own enjoyment now.

Guess that's enough. One more thing though, mostly unrelated to farkles. The UAF will store (for free) whatever bags/gear you'd rather not have to take with you on the haul road. I kept everything I needed in a tank and tail bag, and it was nice riding light.

AND...now I'm almost annoying myself...when you get to Prudhoe Bay, stay at the Prudhoe Bay Hotel and get there on a Sunday because I'm guessing they do all-u-can eat bloody awesome prime rib dinner every Sunday (free with room rental). Nice way to cap off a celebratory dip in the Arctic Ocean.

Ok, that's it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you're "particular" about clean air in your motor I might (in hindsight) have brought an extra air filter. Michigan to Fairbanks (via the Mackenzie Hwy and Liard Trail) gathered a good 3/4 cup a'crap n'bugs. Northern Powersports luckily had 1 in stock, and though its a bigger dealership, I think it was lucky they had one.

The tire thing. When you get to the UAF "Haul Road Staging Area," you'll likely run into two types of riders who've recently done The Road: Some will have ridden it on street (90/10's, seriously?) tires and dry conditions, and they'll tell you the seriousness of the Haul Road is overrated ("no big deal" i once heard). The other type of rider you'll likely encounter will be the x-military KLR with knobbies who rode the road wet, and he'll tell you (with an exhausted shake of his head) that it was hellaciously slick. I switched to TKC's for the haul road, and while it was sunny and dry for the duration, I never regretted taking the precaution, and they actually helped when I got into the bush near Talkeetna. Not sure what you like, but if you want to spend a few days off the beaten path panning for gold, slucing, or even high-banking with the bears PM me for some details.

But I digress. This is a farkle list.

I'll second the extra throttle cable. Brought one but didn't need it. Don't take much space though.

I'll also second the heated grips. Talking to a stop sign holder on the haul road in early August, the guy says "this time last year there was 6 inches of snow on the road here." Didn't use them on the haul road, but did use them south of Anchorage.
Also brought a heated "bib" but didn't use it. Cheap, and compact for just in case.

Another thing I did was double up on the oil cooler screen. Just bought a second one and it fit in the existing mount. Can't say how effective it may or may not be, but it was an easy extra little something.

I brought a tube of motorcycle Slime, a plug kit with CO2, and air pump. Maybe you already do this though. Cheap, easy, and it MIGHT help for a non-catestrophic flat. Is Slime a farkle? Forgive me if I'm getting off topic and suggesting stuff you already know. Cable aint hooked up yet and there aint squat on the antenna tv.

The motorcycle. Right. Not sure how your panniers mount (I have Givi) but I'd suggest considering the possibility of having to somehow re-attach one of your side panniers. A muddy dirt road in Canada dislodged my L side box and while I was glad to have bungees, I wished I'd brought a spare "pyramid" mount thing. That's for givi bags though.

I brought vice grips for a spare clutch/brake lever. 50:50 chance of working after a break off.

I put a little extra reflective tape on the back of the side cases...

Oh, brake pads! Dealers might not stock them. Haul road mud will shredd those things. Had to replace my fronts after the haul road, even though it was basically dry. That crap gets in there. Had to wait an extra day for front pads to come in. Again, compact, and its not like you'll never use them.

I did bring a spare chain. Didn't have to use it, but damn they're heavy, and what if a sprocket gets jacked up when the chain snaps off? Bring sprockets? Not sure the precautions worth the weight.

Yep, I'm just typing this for my own enjoyment now.

Guess that's enough. One more thing though, mostly unrelated to farkles. The UAF will store (for free) whatever bags/gear you'd rather not have to take with you on the haul road. I kept everything I needed in a tank and tail bag, and it was nice riding light.

AND...now I'm almost annoying myself...when you get to Prudhoe Bay, stay at the Prudhoe Bay Hotel and get there on a Sunday because I'm guessing they do all-u-can eat bloody awesome prime rib dinner every Sunday (free with room rental). Nice way to cap off a celebratory dip in the Arctic Ocean.

Ok, that's it.
Good post :D. I did forget to mention that barring unforeseen circumstances, we'll have an FJ60 with us, so spares (filters, tires, chain, etc.) should be no issue. As for tires I'm torn between TKC's and the K60 Scouts.

I've got heated grips, and I'll probably do the extra throttle cable (where should I get one?) and what not. Leaning towards doing radiator and oil cooler guards too, thoughts on those? Worth it?

Panniers mount with two "hook" pucks on the bottom and bolts into the rack at the top, I'll have some spare straps with me just in case. Will bring brake pads.

Schedule puts us in Deadhorse on Wednesday, but we'll see what ends up happening. Was leaning towards the caribou inn, but again, flexible...

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
My brother who has done AK like 4 times always say

Top off gas at every opportun ity as sometimes the next statioin is out or generator broke etc.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Sounds like fun!

Around here an AK build has a different meaning....

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
My brother who has done AK like 4 times always say

Top off gas at every opportun ity as sometimes the next statioin is out or generator broke etc.
Geeze, forgot about that. Absolutely. Especially with a 1000, although with a support vehicle, that might not be such a big concern. Still would be a PITA to have to siphon. I carried a 5 gal spare can for the duration. Used it once. Good peace of mind. If nothing else that FJ should keep a backup supply of beer. The bar/eatery in Coldfoot ran out of beer, and as we all know "runnin' outa'beer is bad...(mmkay?)"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

But ya, hyperboarder, do them K60's. I'd say 3/5ths of the bikes I saw on the haul road were running 90/10 street tires. I chose TKC's cuz that's what I'm used to, and while either might be overkill under certain conditions, that was one variable I just didn't feel like *uckin' around with.
While waiting for the tire install I was talking to the parts dude. Regular fella, not a BS'er, and he said every year a motorcyclist dies on the haul road. Even if it's half true, by that time in the trip I was all about making it there; accomplishing my objective.

Anyway, sounds like you're putting plenty of thought into trip prep, so carry on.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Caribou Inn too.

As far as a spare throttle cable, when it gets closer to your departure date, if you haven't one of these fine NOS parts, feel free to check in with me. I could probably loan it to ya without much trouble.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You might want a throttle lock of some type:

Kaoko - Cruise Controls
I have a Kaoko cruise but what is way better is an electronic cruise.I have a audiovox cruise and love it. Same speed up hills or down. They are hard to find now but I think there is a company making one similar that doen't use vaccum which would but alot easier to install.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts