StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen a thread on this and I can't be the only one noticing the enormous amount of updraft to the chest and bottom of full face helmet at highway speeds. This is not a windshield problem. I thought my new HJC helmet was way noisier than it should be. After a lot of rides of various speeds and wind conditions I notice that if I simply place my closed left hand across the tank at about the gas cap the ride is so quiet with virtually no wind noise it rides like a totally different bike! I came from a 2012 Vee that did not have this problem at all. At 60-80mph the pressure literally pulls the closed zipper on my jacket up under my neck to the point of discomfort and I'm constantly pulling it down. If I place my hand up to my neck to block the updraft my helmet is as quiet as can be. So I kept moving my hand around and when placed anywhere around the top of the tank at about the cap level it stops all wind noise. Is there anything out there that can deflect that wind besides maybe a tank bag. This really seems like a wind ergonomic problem. The tank is definitely a different shape than the 2012 with higher and sharper lines. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My prior bike was a vstar 650 i had buffeting with it. Now with a 19 650 vstrom no buffeting but the same issue, MUCH more wind noise, a givi airsteam windshield fixed any noticeable up draft and noise.

·
Premium Member
5,003 Posts
The Madstad winglets on CB500x really quiets things down for a similar reaston and there was a thread of someone doing similar.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually bought the madstad and windshield right when I got the bike because I had one on my 12 and loved it. I asked about the winglets and was told they do not make them for the 2018 Vee. My 12 had the Madstad bracket with the GIVI shield but now Madstad makes you buy THEIR shield and claims no other shield works with their bracket so I would have to try the GIVI shield on the Suzuki OEM bracket and then I have a Madstad bracket and shield that is worthless. I'm ready to try anything because anything longer than an hour or so drives me crazy.

·
Premium Member
5,003 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts