StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple projects I'm working on that require removal of the airbox, and I'm stuck.

My manual tells me I need to loosen the front and rear intake hose clamp screws. Rear was a breeze. Front, I can't even find, much less get an allen tool into where I think it should be.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Long small phillips screw driver. Flashlight to find. Crank vent hose difficult to put back on too. Yank it off as a last resort.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Mine are allen head not phillips, your front will match the rear.

I come at it from the left side with 2 long 1/4' socket extension bars.

As DT said the boot can be pulled/pushed out of the bottom of the air box, it stay on the throttle body.

You will then have easy access to the clamp, you will find out everything you need to know to pull it apart and put it back together.

Before reassembly fit the boot back into the air box and line up the clamp.

Reactions: oldjeep

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I changed mine to philipps since the looong 3mm T handle allen was too hard to find. Just the front TB. I turned the clamp to be able to get at it from the left front also.

Outlet tubes should stay in the airbox.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at it from the left I'm able to see what I assume is the back of the screw. Is it possible to loosen the clamp if I can get a long needle-nose on there and get a few twists?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
As I said just pop the box off, the tube just pushes in and out of the air box without a problem so you can leave it connected to the throttle body.

Get everything the way you want it with the clamp in a good position for you and the tools you have, pop it back into the box as it should be, then fit it back on the bike.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Don't know specifically for the DL650, but on my 2002 DL1000 I take the top of the airbox off and slide my fingers into the gap between the bottom airbox and the frame. I can then feel how the hose clamp is oriented, and guide the screwdriver in from the right. It also helps to remove the crankcase breather hose before you attempt this - and the crankcase breather hose is so tight and stiff it needs to be removed anyway before you can remove the airbox.

Mine has the Philips head, and I'm still contemplating replacing that bolt with one that doesn't cam out. Either Torx or Hex. It's no fun right now, and I recently had to do it three times in the span of a single hour due to being in a hurry and forgetting to do things before I put on the airbox.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Mine is a phillips on my DL1000. The first time I removed the airbox I had to work the front boot out of the box and leave it on the throttle body because whoever installed it oriented the clamp in such a way that you couldn't get to it. (Had to have installed boot first then box)

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
You will stop the cam out on the screws by using a JIS screwdriver.

Jap bikes don't use phillps heads and even if they did the JIS fits better and stops cam out.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Chinesium screws don't help.

I may try the JIS screw driver someday.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I have recently got them on eBay.

When friends have ask about mine I have given them one to keep so I was low on supply.

Vessel is my brand of choice.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the gven advice, I was able to get the airbox off. I did end up having to muscle it off -- there was no reaching the hose clamp screw in the position it was at. Once I put things back to gether, I'll adjust so it's accessible from the left side, which appears to have a little more room. Even so, I may need to invest in some longer T-handle allen wrenches.

As for the JIS, I did a quick Amazon search and found a couple of options (one said it's imported from Japan). Any reason why something like this would't work?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I do have a very old full set but the P.2 is the one used most so I do have them in a number of different lengths as well.

I can't see a reason why those drivers would not work.

My allen wrenches fit my 1/4" drive socket set, that gives me a much more flexible system than a T-wrench.

I see they also list magnetic drivers, with a 12v battery and a length of wire any driver can be made magnetic.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
With the gven advice, I was able to get the airbox off. I did end up having to muscle it off -- there was no reaching the hose clamp screw in the position it was at. Once I put things back to gether, I'll adjust so it's accessible from the left side, which appears to have a little more room. Even so, I may need to invest in some longer T-handle allen wrenches.

As for the JIS, I did a quick Amazon search and found a couple of options (one said it's imported from Japan). Any reason why something like this would't work?
Don't overthink it. A P2 will just do fine. There are not so many JIS fasteners on the bike.
When you re-attach the hose-clamp make sure its in the original design position (check the manual). In that position it will not rotate away when you try to fasten /unfasten the clamp!
Just get some 1/4" socket style allen keys, like I linked. That's all you need.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts

If you weld, or know a welder a tool can be made that makes airbox removal quick and easy. I used a SS welding rod and a chunk cut off of a allen wrench. You could do the same with a JIS or Phillips:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a breakthrough when putting things back together.

No matter which way I set the hose clamp on that forward throttle body, I could not see a way I could reach any of my tools in there to tighten it down. So I started to think outside of the box (ha!)

I realized the rubber tubes are detachable. I popped it out of the airbox, easily attached it to the throttle body, then pulled it back into the airbox until it sealed in place. Once I came up with my idea, the whole thing took about 2 minutes to accomplish.

Reactions: Gert
1 - 20 of 20 Posts